Bellator needs more than 1 event per month, would dropping Tito Ortiz + others help?

DouglasM

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Guessing the reason Bellator has 1 event a month is they have to generate enough funds to pay the fighters and fighters like Tito Ortiz are taking up most of those funds compared to others on the fight card.

Why not drop the guy and get back to bringing up new fighters, more events...

I actually miss how the old Bellator did things, at least there was a build up every year vs what we have now where Bellator seems lower than WSOF

They do 16 events per year.
4 events every 3 months.

But I agree, I'd like to see a couple more events per year.

I like the amount of shows they have. I just don't think they are booking the fights or using the roster they have well enough. Really shouldn't be a show without a title fight. Really should be at least more than one competive fight a show.

The amount of shows is fine if they aren't able to book shows well like this. God forbid they did more shows.

Plus with Glory and Boxing they can't anyways.

Dropping Tito would just mean they do same events they are doing now only the 4 shows that get good ratings a year wouldnt happen, they'd all just get low ratings. WOuld put them in same spot they used to be in with Bjorn only they are doing less shows.

They need the names, they need to go after UFC guys.

Dropping Tito would just mean they do same events they are doing now only the 4 shows that get good ratings a year wouldnt happen, they'd all just get low ratings. WOuld put them in same spot they used to be in with Bjorn only they are doing less shows.

They need the names, they need to go after UFC guys.

Hrm ok, i thought the lack of events was do to them having to generate funds to pay fighters...

here's a list of how strikeforce did things, thought there was actually more but near the middle to end they were doing 2 a month...i'd like if Bellator could do that eventually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strikeforce_events

Coker has said in a few interviews they're increasing the # for next year. Upping it from 16 to 22 or so IIRC. That would be allright, a show every two or so, give or take a couple.

I don't know if it's a money thing. I just don't think Spike wanted to have Bellator on as often as it was during the Bjorn era. Bjorn often sold the events to venues...so he would know how much he could spend on purses and other stuff and make a profit, or break even.

I miss the seasons and the tournament model. It wasn't perfect. It causes some problems but more cards(that were typically at, or even better in quality than post tourny Bellator) and a quicker introduction to top prospects and a quicker dismissal of weak prospects. Now i don't view Bellator as a good destination for young fighters as i did a year and a half ago. I don't think the work is there and i can see a good prospect going a few fights in Bellator without even getting noticed. In the tournament format, a prospect can make his name real and make some good money as well

They need to drop him regardless he is a cancer to mma like wanderlei.

Say what you want, but Tito would easily be a top 10 fighter in UFC LHW.

So what would be the point of Bellator dropping him? Tito is a smart business man and a legend of the sport. Until he is getting KTFO back to back to back, like Chuck, let him compete...

As sad as it sounds Tito is their biggest draw, I'm sure he's very expensive but he is probably the best thing they have going for them current in the eyes of the casual fan

They need Tito for ratings.

We have to remember a majority of money coming into Bellator is through advertising. Ratings is what sets the prices they can charge.

Right now I think Bellator's biggest issue is using the current roster better. Each card should have two solid match ups that fans are excited about and third runner up match. But instead we get one good match up and then questionable/who really cares fights to round out the card outside of the tent pole events. Right now it appears fans tune into the "tent pole" events and then take or leave the other events.

I personally used to love weekly Friday night MMA. Bellator is like a distant afterthought to me now. Their quality of cards is rarely that high, but at least there was consistently a show. Ah well.

Guessing the reason Bellator has 1 event a month is they have to generate enough funds to pay the fighters and fighters like Tito Ortiz are taking up most of those funds compared to others on the fight card.

Why not drop the guy and get back to bringing up new fighters, more events...

I actually miss how the old Bellator did things, at least there was a build up every year vs what we have now where Bellator seems lower than WSOF

Recognizable names like Tito Ortiz generate revenue. The organization probably wouldn't grow if you didn't mix veterans in with prospects.

Back