Being held back

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ok, I have been doing jujistu for about 10 months now. I am very athletic, flexible, and I am a very good learner. In class I am always tapping the 2 stripe and 4 stripe guys and occasionaly a blue belt.

The other day I asked my instructor if we could work on some half guard stuff because that is the part of my game that I am really lacking in. I only know 1 basic pass and it doesnt work most of the time. My instructor told me that I am not "advanced" enough to worry about half guard and the only thing that I need to worry about when i have someone in the half gaurd is getting them back into my full guard.

I feel like I am being held back because I feel that I have proven myself through hard work and dedication that I shouldnt be titled as "not advanced for half guard"

In what stage did everyone here start going over half guard stuff?

am i getting screwed?

he may think your guard needs work, so he wants you to work on that.
we went over half guard from day one...

My school isn't big enough to have many different types of students, our instructor is a purple going on brown & we only have four blue belts & probably around 3 potential blues. It is mostly whites so our teaching goes from what would be considered "advanced" to "basic". I didn't really think there was some stuff you can't learn at white.

I've been training for about 18 months now, the club had a core of about 6-7 guys that have been training about the same amount of time so the lessons are often aimed at our level. I would say over the last 6 months or so we have been shown more techniques from half guard, mainly on the bottom. Personally I've still been told to try and concentrate on going back to full guard, combining it with trying to take their back. By distracting them by trying to take their back you make it easier to pop the the knee back through for full guard.

I wouldn't say your instructor is holding you back,its just that the level you are at their are more fundamental things you need to be working on such as your full guard.

He's your instructor. He knows what you need to work on, better than you do, much of the time. You aren't being held back. Your instructor simply feels that, you getting better at a different part of your game, would be more effective than half-guard.

That said, we have absolutely no way to know whether or not he'd holding you back. We don't know how good you are, so therefore, we'll assume you're a typical single-stripe white belt. Based on that, the instructor knows best.

You have to crawl before you walk. IF you dont understand the gaurd well enough your half gaurd will suck as well well its usually the case. Hes right. Focusing putting him back in Halfgaurd

Commissar said:
He's your instructor. He knows what you need to work on, better than you do, much of the time. You aren't being held back. Your instructor simply feels that, you getting better at a different part of your game, would be more effective than half-guard.

That said, we have absolutely no way to know whether or not he'd holding you back. We don't know how good you are, so therefore, we'll assume you're a typical single-stripe white belt. Based on that, the instructor knows best.

You beat me to it with this post. I was going to say the same thing.

I will also add that probably without you knowing it, your instructor is probably watching you train and roll. He will know what you are doing well and where the holes are. I think all instructors want the whites to have a very good knowledge of the full guard, closed, open, spider and butterfly.

I'm a blue, no stripe and my teacher preaches full guard to me every class. He will show us half guard if I ask but most times he starts from a full closed guard.

thanks for all of your responses but my concern was that I believe that my guard game is my strength.

I dont know, i guess it is hard to explain over the internet but I feel like I need to move on instead of going over basic guard passes and basic submissions everyday.

II don't see why he should stop you progressing your half guard game after 10 months.

Probably because your full guard game sucks?

Or he is tired of you pulling guard and wants you to develop a top game?

Or maybe you are just brutish with shitty basics. And instead of learning new and more technical moves that you can butcher with your caveman-strength style he wants you to polish the fundamentals.

Who knows? Probably your instructor....

You are not Anakin and he is not Obi Wan. Be patient young Jedi. Why not wait until open mat session and work on some of the stuff yourself? It won't hurt you to mess around and experiment on your own time.

i don't think you are being screwed, just wait a litle bit.

should have been covering half gaurd the first night since you end up there more than anywhere else...

Keep in mind, you've only been there 10 months. You're in no rush to learn things. But I think your instructor may be interested in working on your top game. Having the guard as your strength, yet having a poor half guard is a very risky, one dimentional strategy. Maybe he thinks, if he holds off on the half guard for now, you'll learn more top position stuff.

i read somewhere that halfguard is a game within a game and from my brief flirtations with using it i'd agree there's loads of stuff to do from there. just like there's loads of stuff to do from full guard, maybe the instructor feels it's worth getting full guard down before worrying about this whole other 1/2guard game.

Wait, you asked him for a half guard pass...and he tells you all you need to worry about is getting your guard back? WTF?

Your instructor doesn't think you're as good as you do, simple as that, and he'll tell you when to do stuff. What do you want us to do?

he likes to see you on your back.... its a homo erotic thing... he must be gay... only explanation.
I saw something about this stuff on larry king live..... get out right now!

minimagpro said:
thanks for all of your responses but my concern was that I believe that my guard game is my strength.

I dont know, i guess it is hard to explain over the internet but I feel like I need to move on instead of going over basic guard passes and basic submissions everyday.

against who tho ? Whitebelts ? of course your gaurd game is good against guys who dont know how to pass it. Your gaurd game is awesome until you let an advanced Blue or purple even sit in your gaurd.

Basics, basics, basics. Master the basics before you start trying to filll your head with new technique..

If you're ever in the chattanooga area pm me, we can roll. I'll then give you advice on what you should do.

Back