Beginning weapons training? Where to start?

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by The Colonel, May 31, 2014.

1. The Colonel

The Colonel Purple Belt

First off sorry if this sort of question has been posted before, but I'm interested in some advice from those of you who do weapons training.

I've wanted to branch out in the martial arts and try and do some weapons training. I do BJJ and judo 4-5 days a week and have also dabbled in boxing and kickboxing over the years, but never anything with weapons beyond self-defense/disarms.

In my city there is a kendo club as well as a fencing club. If it were up to me I'd train kali/arnis but sadly that just isn't an option.

I know that sword play isn't exactly "practical" in modern times, but if I had to pick one of these arts to delve into, which would provide a better base? Kendo seems more sensible at first glance, as you can move around more, while fencing seems largely just back and forth movement. This is probably ignorance on my part though.

Here is a link to the maestro of the fencing center: http://www.louisvillefencing.org/joomla_lfc/index.php/coaches

And the kendo club: http://louisvillekendo.wix.com/kendoclub#!repairs/cuy0

Thanks for any advice.

2. wvpv

wvpv Orange Belt

As someone who used to fence I would say it has pretty much zero practical value for self defence. With the exception of

3. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

My two cents.

There's good things about Kendo, but it can get quite expensive, and its very wrapped in Culture and costume.

There's things I picked up from fencing that really helped my striking. And epee translates really well for knife fighting.

4. SweetDaddySiki

SweetDaddySiki Orange Belt

You can also look into HEMA orgs as well. Your judo and BJJ background will be a very useful complement, since grappling is well integrated into historic european martial arts.

5. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

+1 for fencing. The timing, footwork, and principles all translate to hand to hand combat exceptionally well. I think good hand or hand skills are the foundation for any and all weapon training.

6. Zap

Zap It's clobberin' time.

Learn gun fu.

7. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Green Belt

8. MoreHumanThan

MoreHumanThan White Belt

I am a member of the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (thearma.org), and we have a (relatively new) group in Louisville that meets at Cherokee park (just behind the baseball diamond near the fountain/gazebo) on Sundays 1pm-3pm. You're welcome to swing by and give it a try (there's plenty of loaner gear and weapons, so you only need athletic attire).

9. Wolveswithkeys

Wolveswithkeys something awful

Choose a weapon you could actually use in this day and age. Knife, stick, cane, etc.

10. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

11. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

12. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

What did you use as a substitute for the rapier?

13. SweetDaddySiki

Fencing is ultimately derived from Italian rapier, which emphasized linear movements. Some styles, such as Spanish rapier emphasized circular movements, on the basis that stepping directly towards your enemy was dangerous. (please note...fencing is not rapier play..a rapier weighs about 2.5 pounds and is as stiff as a board. Fencing derives from rapier through its descendant, the smallsword)

14. SweetDaddySiki

One thing that is interesting to note is that boxing was once called "fencing with fists". The first boxing instructors were also fencing instructors.

take these guys, mentally edit out the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ4Kr4aMHPg

15. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Amussingly enough, the fist. Since it was fist on fist, the ranges worked out well.

16. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

very true.