Beginning weapons training? Where to start?

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
First off sorry if this sort of question has been posted before, but I'm interested in some advice from those of you who do weapons training.

I've wanted to branch out in the martial arts and try and do some weapons training. I do BJJ and judo 4-5 days a week and have also dabbled in boxing and kickboxing over the years, but never anything with weapons beyond self-defense/disarms.

In my city there is a kendo club as well as a fencing club. If it were up to me I'd train kali/arnis but sadly that just isn't an option.

I know that sword play isn't exactly "practical" in modern times, but if I had to pick one of these arts to delve into, which would provide a better base? Kendo seems more sensible at first glance, as you can move around more, while fencing seems largely just back and forth movement. This is probably ignorance on my part though.

Here is a link to the maestro of the fencing center: http://www.louisvillefencing.org/joomla_lfc/index.php/coaches

And the kendo club: http://louisvillekendo.wix.com/kendoclub#!repairs/cuy0

Thanks for any advice.

As someone who used to fence I would say it has pretty much zero practical value for self defence. With the exception of

My two cents.

There's good things about Kendo, but it can get quite expensive, and its very wrapped in Culture and costume.

There's things I picked up from fencing that really helped my striking. And epee translates really well for knife fighting.

You can also look into HEMA orgs as well. Your judo and BJJ background will be a very useful complement, since grappling is well integrated into historic european martial arts.

+1 for fencing. The timing, footwork, and principles all translate to hand to hand combat exceptionally well. I think good hand or hand skills are the foundation for any and all weapon training.

Learn gun fu.

I am a member of the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (thearma.org), and we have a (relatively new) group in Louisville that meets at Cherokee park (just behind the baseball diamond near the fountain/gazebo) on Sundays 1pm-3pm. You're welcome to swing by and give it a try (there's plenty of loaner gear and weapons, so you only need athletic attire).

Choose a weapon you could actually use in this day and age. Knife, stick, cane, etc.

Have to disagree from applied experince. It also happens to translate surprising well to the empty hand. The one time I was actually mugged as Pizza delivery person, I end up fending off both attackers using foil/epee technique as I was still holding the pizza in my off hand. Not the smartest thing I ever did, but as i told the cop if the thug had just asked for the money instead of try to sucker punch me I would have given him the money.

Also works very well with cane or golf umbrella.

What did you use as a substitute for the rapier?

I always wondered why olympic fencing does not allow side to side, and circling movements. But then I also thought, how much of a real duel with swords has side to side and circling movements. How useful would it even be in a real fight?

Fencing is ultimately derived from Italian rapier, which emphasized linear movements. Some styles, such as Spanish rapier emphasized circular movements, on the basis that stepping directly towards your enemy was dangerous. (please note...fencing is not rapier play..a rapier weighs about 2.5 pounds and is as stiff as a board. Fencing derives from rapier through its descendant, the smallsword)

Back