Movies BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE ($110 Million Opening Weekend)

I plan on going this weekend to see it. Probably tomorrow night or Sunday. My theatre is one room so on release nights it’s fucking insane. Hoping there aren’t a bunch of kids either but then again parents love to take their kids to mature films and let them run up and down the aisles to keep them busy.

So far this was my fav film of the year. I laughed quite a bit. It's a completely different movie than the first and it didn't break any of the bad sequel habits like copying off the original film.

7 or 8/10 for me

I thought the ending could have been better but it wasn't bad. I thought it ended on the wrong take but still a really good sequel I would watch again

I dont wanna hate on it but they took way too long to make this shit, everyones insanely old and the previews I saw really didnt say anything other than the old cast is back...fuckin 40 yrs later and shit

First of all... this looks like a great fucking date movie.

I don't do horror flicks, or dumpster fire reality shows, and my wife doesn't like, well, basically most good shit. She is not a rom-com or Hallmark type person at all. My wife and I have vastly different tastes in movies (and shows), but the original Beetlejuice is one of the very few we both like and it has been a long, long time since we watched the first one together.

Might as well wine and dine the queen before the movie, and visit the club afterwards. The original was a fun film, and even if the movie bombs, the night won't.

I have. It's...underwhelming yet has really good moments

I think I would describe it the same way. I think Tim Burton is not the same director he was 30 years ago so it isn't fair to expect him to be able to make a sequel in the same flavor. They try to pack too much into this movie and it does come together but it kind of feels like a hurray that is over seasoned. I wish they would have just dropped everything related to Jeffrey Jones even though he isn't in the movie. I thought that part was distracting when they could have just said he died years ago or got divorced. I think part of the problem with the movie is that the original was a bit of a mystery at the start and this one kind of starts off with the horns blaring. I liked the movie. I would give it 8/10 but I thought the first won was a full 10/10.

It's around 8 out of 10 for me. It should satisfy all the nostalgia fans and as pointed in the thread the ending should have been better. Good use of original.music though. They are still able to use Jeffrey Jones characterr quite frequently without featuring the actor haha

Against my better judgement, I am somehow tentatively excited for this.

I am sure I will regret it.

Happy to say, I was wrong about my judgement, & right about my excitement.

Started off a little shaky; I got worried early on, that it was just going to be one big member berry festival. Then about 20 minutes in or so, once DeVito & Bellucci showed up, the momentum kicked in, & the ball kept rolling. They were my favorite parts, as far as the new elements. And perhaps even more importantly, wouldn'tcha know it, they actually bothered to write a real script with fleshed out (get it) characters, & try to tell a real story.

Props to Tim Burton, who while he's had a rough few decades artistically, really tried to honor his old masterpiece & put forth a worthy sequel. He clearly restrained his usual 'all CGI, all the time' modern ethos; yes there is some CGI, but there are also a shitload of practical effects. Real sets mostly, not a buncha bluescreen. Real makeup, real wardrobe. Appreciated.

The story is ok enough, the dialogue, same; it's missing some razzle-dazzle, that special extra element that made the original so great. But fuck, he tried. And that enthusiasm is felt. The actors all showed up and brought it, which is really what put it over the top. Catherine O'Hara for example, she crushed it. Was great to see her again, & her chops were sharp.

Finally, the pace was great too, & that's what really made it all come together as an overall success for me. At only an hour forty-five or so, Tim Burton wisely knew what this film was, & what it is supposed to do. It doesn't drag like a zombie, nor linger like a ghost. The movie gets in & out, like a hired trickster demon, does its job & then leaves, before you can say the third Betelgeu--

Just like the original

I think the first one was slower paced and could get away with it because you had no idea what was going on. This one kind of leans hard into everything because the audience is already familiar with the world's rules. I am not going to say that it is Gremlins 2 but it gives up some on what made the first Beetlejuice just like Gremlins 2 passed on what was Gremlins 1. There is a lot of material in this movie that is pulling out all the stops and Tim Burton wanted to pack it with weird. Tim Burton didn't go into this trying to make Beetlejuice part 2.

I thought these are really cool interviews. Winona Forever!

We saw it last night. Thought it was alright, 6-7ish/10.

Pacing seemed kind of off to me, very quick. I didn't think Monica Bellucci's character and her arc really added anything to the story. The tone and mood didn't seem right, but i can't really articulate it. Too polished, or something like that. Was somewhat predictable at times too.

Jenna Ortega is a cutie though.

Not reading the new posts because I’m going tonight and don’t want to be spoiled or influenced. But wanted to say, it was only yesterday that I found out the actor in the last film was a :eek::eek::eek::eek: and . . . God that’s fucking gross and depressing.

Not reading the new posts because I’m going tonight and don’t want to be spoiled or influenced. But wanted to say, it was only yesterday that I found out the actor in the last film was a :eek::eek::eek::eek: and . . . God that’s fucking gross and depressing.
Which one , this guy?

beetlejuice-for-gl-veeme.gif

Okay, just seen it.

I enjoyed it well enough. Had some fun moments, nice jokes, I loved seeing more of Delia’s character - she’s fantastic really, seeing more of Lydia was nice too.

I’m not sure what Monica’s character added to the story if we’re being honest. Yeah, she looked cool as fuck, they painted her as a huge threat and then . . .
That honestly seems to have gone nowhere. She didn’t actually do anything to Beetlejuice and got ate up by a sandworm quite quickly. Also don’t know if constantly bringing up Charles was necessary either. Maybe to give Catherine O’Hara something more to do but I enjoyed her jokes about Lydia and Astrid’s relationship more than her grief production. Then again, my favorite joke was at the end, when she says to Charles, with half his body missing, “LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO ME”

Even though it’s irrelevant to the plot I’m interested in the other family shown in the film, and what the whole story was there.
Like, why. I get what happened but I want to know why the boy killed his parents. Seems quite a heavy subject and there’s no other backstory than “yeah he did this”. I want to know more

The ending wasn’t for me
The long song sequence near the end before the marriage went on too long I thought. And it was weird that they wrapped it up with having Astrid marry a guy and give birth, within a dream. I probably missed the point of it

Lots of shots of the area, which I enjoyed. I’d like to live there myself I think. But I wonder if it was too much.

Anyways, I swear I enjoyed watching this lmao.

Also

I wish Lydia had come to her senses on her own with that boyfriend of hers, instead of Beetlejuice having to forcibly have him reveal his true character. The signs were there that he sucked, she didn’t want to marry him but agreed to it only because he pressured her, like??? I feel like her character would be stronger/smarter than that. Though they did mention twice that he was exploiting her in her grief for her late husband so maybe that’s why she couldn’t see through it all, but still, it would have been better for her character to handle it herself.

Not bad but exactly what the trailer showed, complete cash grab. I laughed at some parts but I would tell anyone to just wait for streaming. It’s a Netflix sequel they put in the theaters. Too many storylines going on at the same time and it hurt the main story of the Deetz. Seems like they created characters to try to match previous ones from the original movie. 6 or 7 simply because the of Keaton.

Im trying to avoid spoilers, but do they address the absence of Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis’ characters? Does it not take place in the house from the first film?

Im trying to avoid spoilers, but do they address the absence of Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis’ characters? Does it not take place in the house from the first film?
Edit: yes they address it

Sorry, thought I might have went into spoilers there.

Not bad but exactly what the trailer showed, complete cash grab. I laughed at some parts but I would tell anyone to just wait for streaming. It’s a Netflix sequel they put in the theaters. Too many storylines going on at the same time and it hurt the main story of the Deetz. Seems like they created characters to try to match previous ones from the original movie. 6 or 7 simply because the of Keaton.
I think its another JJ Abrams style nostalgia cash grab but it does benefit a little from having SOME decent ideas to it.

As with most Abrams style films really its not very similar to the original which was a genuinely strange and wildly original satire on uncaring bureaucracy and the intelligentsia with some creepy elements to it, this is a pretty generic family values adventure film which uses the original as fodder.

Compared to Abrams again I think it does at least have some ideas to it(nicked the TV shows from Ghostbusters 2 though) and Burton does manage to make it feel a bit closer to the original but like Abrams it ends up such a confused mess that nothing really make much impact, ends up a few fun moments and Keaton's performance in an otherwise forgettable film for me.

Last edited:
Back