• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Batman (1989) 25th Anniversary Appreciation Thread

My favourite Batman movie. Always loved the Burton films.

Too many great scenes to mention but I'll post this one because I remember being 10 years old and feeling my balls tingle just a little bit.

Haven't seen this in quite some time, wonder if it holds up.

You never know; Robocop still holds up as a goddamn solid classic, but then I've also been burned by rewatching Temple of Doom, an absolute shitshow.

It holds up. Believe me. I still love this one and Batman Returns and watch whenever I see one show up on a movie channel.

Temple of Doom has it's moment- namely the part with Lao Tse at the beginning and the end action sequences. But yea a lot of it is a mess and it's the least fun of the first three movies in my opinion.

My parents bought the vhs of this when I was younger...wasnt impressed then and still not...I prefer begins and then tdk...the third never happened.

but then I've also been burned by rewatching Temple of Doom, an absolute shitshow.

Oh, forgot to comment on this. Yeah, Temple of Doom is shit. It's not very well known that Spielberg hated filming it, and hated the final cut of the movie too. Kim Basinger was annoying throughout, I mean....what was the point of her character?

But, it's not the shittiest Indiana Jones movie because it doesn't have Shia Lebeouf.

Oh... but Temple of Doom does have one awesome part...

we-are-going-to-die-o.gif

Remember watching this with my dad, and he wouldn't let me watch the "pen is mightier than the sword" scene when I was younger, but as I got older it was all good.

Nostalgia, FTW.

"Never rub another mans rhubarb!"

Remember watching this with my dad, and he wouldn't let me watch the "pen is mightier than the sword" scene when I was younger, but as I got older it was all good.

Nostalgia, FTW.

"Never rub another mans rhubarb!"

That scene was the one he thought was too much for you?

I remember the 1st time I ever watched the movie, being in 2nd grade, I recall the electrocution scene was a bit disturbing.

"I'M GLAD YOU'RE DEAD!"

My favourite Batman movie. Always loved the Burton films.

Too many great scenes to mention but I'll post this one because I remember being 10 years old and feeling my balls tingle just a little bit.

B'89 is pure spectacle!

Yes, some things are outdated and the miniatures don't hold up as well with HD, but what works...WORKS!

The world Burton created is so immersive and layered that I'm never truly satisfied with it. He lets you soak in it without ever really drawing attention to it. I don't know if I find the story lacking as much as I just want more. More Keaton, more Nicholson, more everything!

Anyone want to know why Tim Burton didn't do a 3rd Batman film?

Burton discussed it in his commentary of Returns. They really wanted Burton back for Returns, so they gave him alot more artistic freedom to make it more 'him.' It resulted in more bizarre visual imagery like he used in Edward Scissorhands, more sexual innuendo by Penguin and Catwoman, and made it more for adults. Yet, the movie's marketing strategy by the studio was targeted towards kids.... fast food deals, toys, commercials during cartoons, etc.

After the release of Returns, it was apparent it wasn't for kids. And there were complaints by parents and the companies were related to the marketing.... so, the studio doesn't like taking responsibility for these type of things, as if they had no idea what the subject matter of the movie contained, so in the early talks of a 3rd Batman sequel Burton could tell the figureheads weren't pleased with the idea of him directing it. So be politely exited the production.

Oh, and the above isn't exactly a quote from Burton during the commentary, it was a mix of the commentary and prior stories of why he stepped out of the director's chair.

That's a shame, I could only imagine how awesome it would have been if Tim Burton had directed Jim Carrey as The Riddler.

prolly turned out as some fucked up version of the riddler like the penguin was some kind of fucked up version of the penguin

more sexual innuendo by Penguin and Catwoman, and made it more for adults.

"Just the pussy I've been looking for." Still can't believe they got away with that line. I'm pretty sure that Pfeiffer mounting Batman on the rooftop was my sexual awakening.

Burton discussed it in his commentary of Returns. They really wanted Burton back for Returns, so they gave him alot more artistic freedom to make it more 'him.' It resulted in more bizarre visual imagery like he used in Edward Scissorhands, more sexual innuendo by Penguin and Catwoman, and made it more for adults. Yet, the movie's marketing strategy by the studio was targeted towards kids.... fast food deals, toys, commercials during cartoons, etc.

After the release of Returns, it was apparent it wasn't for kids. And there were complaints by parents and the companies were related to the marketing.... so, the studio doesn't like taking responsibility for these type of things, as if they had no idea what the subject matter of the movie contained, so in the early talks of a 3rd Batman sequel Burton could tell the figureheads weren't pleased with the idea of him directing it. So be politely exited the production.

Oh, and the above isn't exactly a quote from Burton during the commentary, it was a mix of the commentary and prior stories of why he stepped out of the director's chair.

That's a shame, I could only imagine how awesome it would have been if Tim Burton had directed Jim Carrey as The Riddler.

that would have been epic - didn't even need tommy lee jones

Tommy Lee Jones nailed two face.....for about the first 30 seconds

You pretty much hit it on the head.

The production of B'89 was a difficult one for Burton as him and Jon Peters kept bumping heads. It's been suggested it was Peters idea to include Prince music in the film. Although some do give credit to Peters for insisting Burton include some action scenes. Nonetheless, from what I read, it was a tumultuous relationship between everyone as Peters and Guber oversaw everything Burton did, who was more or less isolated and alone at Pinewood trying to fight for his creative voice in the process .

As Returns began to develop, Guber and Peters were out as producers, and Denise DiNovi came in, which gave Burton practically full creative control. The script went through numerous re-writes as Sam Hamm centered the sequel around Two-Face. This caused two issues, as Burton didn't want Two-Face in the film, and from what I've read, neither did the studio. However, Billy Dee Williams was cast, and the studio was never keen on him. It's been rumored WB wanted Don Johnson and various other actors as Two-Face. Anyways, Burton rejected all scripts that were direct sequels to B'89.

As Burton crafted Returns, the film moved less and less away from the trappings of B'89 and became it's own film. I suppose the rest as we know it, happened. The film was a more somber, darker sequel. It didn't do the numbers that B'89 did. And I suppose all the extra revenue from tie-ins and merchandise that WB expected to get didn't quite hit the mark.

I guess the answer is as simple as WB didn't want Burton at the helm of another Batman film where they were hostage to his creative input. They wanted to have more control and oversight during the project. I don't think Burton was going to relinquish control again which is why I assume WB simply didn't ask him back.

^ Hell yes.

The 89' Batmobile was always my favorite throughout the years.

Tumbler is a close second.

I never saw the Batmobile as a functional vehicle until the tumbler came around. seems too elongated and hard to handle. the fact that it has to have a grappling hook to turn corners is a negative.

Back