• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

basic wrestling tips??

sourdiesel209

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just started BJJ one month ago so im still a whitebelt noob... altho I can somewhat hold my own rolling against ppl my on my own level, we also have wrestling only sparring every class, where Im totally clueless since I have never wrestled before.. the only thing I can do is shoot doubles and sprawl my ass off (from watching too much ufc of course lol).. or try judo throws that I found on youtube..

So any tips to setup my takedowns from the clinch?? I find myself stuck here just randomly getting grips or trying to get double underhooks... also, how do you finish a single leg takedown? tripping the leg? tried rotating in circles but the dude just kept jumping on his remaining leg...

and last, what the hell is "the switch"...and should I look into arm drags as well??

If you have any questions you can PM me

When you get a single leg up in the air, you usually want it in front of your body. You want to have the leg very tight, elbow deep to be exact. Meaning your elbow is under their heel. This way they can't kick their leg out. Here is where you want it:

4d1171800120a.preview-300.jpg

A good way to finish from their is to grab the back of their head, and rotate them backwards. Once they fall to their knees or on a hip, look to attack their other leg with your free hand to secure the position. Another way would be to use your free hand and hook underneath right where his knee bends and bring your arm up. You do this to get his leg higher. This will cause him to hop on one foot. When his leg is in the air, you can sweep it out.

For ties, look to get inside. When you are inside, you dictate the offense (usually). Here are some videos about ties:

A switch is a move usually hit from bottom in wrestling (I can't tell you in BJJ). It is hard to explain in words, but here is a video (that also has a "re-switch" drill you could do as well):

The key is to get leverage on their shoulder when switching.

Last edited:
its all about the set up .
set your shots up from the clinch. you cant go wrong with a good russian. i always set up the russian to hit the armspin or firemans. but you can hit other moves too..

snapdowns are always fun to do from the clinch too.
but arent for everyone imo..

listen to youngsteinel. hes giving good tips

Not technique related but some guys with wrestling experience told me this
" You can be lazy in bjj but you cant be a lazy wrestler " so basically just commit to everything that you do in wrestling. if that makes any sense.

thx for the tips guys!!! im gonna try this stuff out next class... see if I can finish a single this time :icon_lol:

thx for the tips guys!!! im gonna try this stuff out next class... see if I can finish a single this time :icon_lol:

Use your head to drive in to pick the leg up as well. Very important. Don't pick the leg up, use your head to drive in and the leg will pretty much come up by itself (as long as you have a good posture).

A underhook and wrist control can set you up for a ton of takedowns and throws, to many to post but may be something you want to look into, for no gi its how I set my takedowns
up.

A underhook and wrist control can set you up for a ton of takedowns and throws, to many to post but may be something you want to look into, for no gi its how I set my takedowns
up.

And opposite to that, you have a lot of moves you can hit from an overhook. My favorites are an arm spin and a fireman's carry. Work on a series from both underhook, and overhook. Then you will be very good in the clinch. If you have any questions, you can PM me.

I j
S

and last, what the hell is "the switch"...and should I look into arm drags as well??

Anderson Silva nailed Nate Marquardt with a switch right before he crushed him.Look up the fight.

Yes arm drags are a huge part of Bjj as well. Marcelo Garcia has some amazing arm drags.

Learn and use wrestlers tie ups.Work on pummeling and getting upper body locks.

Never reach back
Wrist control
Hips hips hips (keep them free)

This made me laugh so hard.

I'm not laughing at you man, its just funny because wrestling has its own jargon just like jiu-jitsu and judo. I never wrestled in highschool but a lot of my buddies did and I've always tried to pick up anything I can from wrestlers. Its a really great art and I love studying it. Switches are awesome. I hit them all the time during jiu-jitsu.

Should you look into arm drags? Yes, yes you should. It'd be like if a boxer asked, "Should I work on my left hook?" Some guys have really incredible arm drags, for jiu-jitsu applications check out Marcello Garcia. He's had a little bit of success with arm drags :wink:

Say a guy has a baseball grip or wrist control on one of your arms. Use your other arm and drag the arm by.

So say he has your left wrist with a baseball grip, or just simple wrist control on the left, then you would use your right arm to drag him by. Drag the arm down and as you do it, step to the outside with your left foot. Since your left arm is free at this point, you can scoop the single from there. Make sure you keep your head in his side and drive the leg up.

From there, it is the same as my post from above. That is just one way to armdrag by the way. A good counter attack when someone tries to get wrist control standing. There are other finishes you can hit as well from a drag. If you are slick enough, you can hit an armdrag and get a TD from just that. It has to be a really good drag (and probably not the best opponent)).

Last edited:
Do not worry about offense

Do not worry about moves

Do not worry about screwing up

What you should only be concerned with is staying in good position, and winning the small battles that take place in a given situation. This could mean gaining control of wrists, getting head position, or off balancing your opponent in a tie. When you do those things, 9/10 people will simply do what you: They will get impatient, try offense that they suck at while being out of position, and basically hand you a takedown on a silver platter.

Dirty Holt always dropping some good knowledge. He brings up some great points.

Back