basic grappling gear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by jliu6190, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jliu6190

jliu6190 Yellow Belt

hi, i'm a high school senior looking to join a bjj club in college (i have no bjj experience whatsoever), and i was just wondering about what are some of the basic, barest essentials gear needed/recommended?

i was thinking at least a rashguard (the club offers no-gi), an athletic supporter+cup, and maybe a mouthpiece?

as for the rashguard, what would be a good brand to start out with and where can i find it? i have a very limited budget (preferably anything under $25?) and i don't need anything that's top of the line. also, can anyone explain how the sizing works? i was looking at another thread and one person suggested getting a size larger?

i'm also going to join a thai boxing club, and i was wondering if i should invest in Shock Doctor's stainless steel alloy cup? or would a normal cup suffice?
    http://shockdoctor.com/shop/product.php?productid=16143&cat=348&page=1

many thanks!

2. mayhem203

mayhem203 Blue Belt

whoa there...so u need some shorts, i use a rash guard, but its NOT needed!! I actually wear nike rash guards that I get for $10 at the nike outlets. Many people wear tshirts. A mouth piece and a cup are MUSTS! Have fun relax, and remember it takes awhile before u seen improvements! just keep at it

3. JDV5811

JDV5811 Purple Belt

i use a shockdoctor cup and its great. any of those are fine. some mma shorts/grappling shorts, and a good mouthguard.