Based upon fight record,wins and losses who are the top 10 LHW's of the last 5 yrs?

Diggem

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
During the last 5 years who do you think are the top 10 LHW's when considering strength of fight record along with wins and losses?

Mine are and in no particular order

Jones
Vitor
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Rashad
Liddell
Hendo
Shogun
Couture

First is all the champs, I Dont care the order, except for Jones at 1. The first non champ has to be Anderson Silva.

Forrest never being in the discussion rustles my jimmies.
Wins over former champions, losses only to former champions

First is all the champs, I Dont care the order, except for Jones at 1. The first non champ has to be Anderson Silva.

I had thought about adding Anderson but didn't think he had enough fights at LHW but I guess he had as many as Vitor did or more.

I agree now that Anderson should be on there.

Based the past years. 5 years??

Jones 15-1 (DQ)
Gus 8-2
Rashad 7-3
Davis 9-2-NC

Rest have even to losing records

Trevor Prangly 16-6-1 should possibly be considered for top 10 strictly record wise.

Three of his (loses) were to fighters that since have made it into the UFC (Tim Kenedy, Roger Gracie & Hector Lombard)

Wins over (K. Jardine & E. Newton)

This has to be a troll thread, Liddell had one fight in the last five years and it was a loss, WTF are you talking.

Trevor Prangly 16-6-1 should possibly be considered for top 10 strictly record wise.

Three of his (loses) were to fighters that since have made it into the UFC (Tim Kenedy, Roger Gracie & Hector Lombard)

Wins over (K. Jardine & E. Newton)

blackadder-confused.gif

if we're talking strictly their performances over the past 5 years, I'd say:

1. Jones
2. Rashad
3. Lyoto
4. Gustafsson
5. Davis
6. Hendo
7. Glover
8. Bader
9. Shogun
10. Rogerio

it's far from perfect, but it's the best I could think of off of the top of my head

During the last 5 years who do you think are the top 10 LHW's when considering strength of fight record along with wins and losses?

Mine are and in no particular order

Jones
Vitor
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Rashad
Liddell
Hendo
Shogun
Couture

help me to understand the inclusion of Chuck & Randy and the exclusion of Griffin. In that vein why include Vitor and leave out Andy?

Based the past years. 5 years??

Jones 15-1 (DQ)
Gus 8-2
Rashad 7-3
Davis 9-2-NC

Rest have even to losing records

Yes, Chuck's record in last 5 years is twice getting brutally KO'd, Couture beat Coleman, Toney then KO'd by Machida- and even Shogun's is pretty bad over the 5 years.

From January 2010-2015 (excluding the Gus-Rumble and Davis-Bader match-ups):

Jones

Machida

Gustafsson

Hendo
Evans
Davis

Bader
Teixeira
Newton
Lawal

Other guys:

- Shogun's 2nd win against Machida was great, one of the best wins any guy here has had, but he just wasn't the same fighter after that 3rd knee surgery. He was just too inconsistent, had the worst stretch of his career with especially poor performances against Vera, Sonnen, and OSP. He did give Gustafsson more problems than many realize. It seems Gus has a tendency to struggle in using his boxing game against smaller guys (much more effective against guys his size like Hamman, Diabate, Jones). The key for him was his TDs and then the kicks he was able to set up after he established control of the distance. Outside of when Gus established a clinch, many of the exchanges in boxing range/pocket seemed to favour Shogun.

It took Gus so long to adjust to those right hands and he just kept eating them. When Shogun started to catch onto his jab and countering with the overhand, Gus started trying to adjust; nobody has ever succeeded at convincing him to concede at any range, dude is just very tough. When he did adjust and Shogun started to tire, he did great. The third round was a very strong one for him. But the second round was very close, and the first could have easily gone to Shogun. He showed improved boxing in the Hendo II and Te Huna fights, much better understanding of weight transfer/leverage/punching mechanics, a decent jab against Hendo (always had one from training/sparring videos but never used it) and counter hooks, but that was still a far-cry from what he was.

- Nogueira, even past his prime, shut out Evans and beat Ortiz more decisively than anyone in a long time. But with the inactivity, controversial win against Brilz, and clear losses to Davis and Bader (though I had him taking a round in each fight, and the 2nd against Bader could have been scored 10-10, iirc), I don't think I can quite put him in there. But he is definitely fringe, and probably #11 for me.

- Mousasi was very consistent and had some decent wins (the Sobral win is what really elevated him on the map as far as LHW rankings, but that isn't included within this time frame), although he didn't fight the best guys. His only loss was against Lawal where he damaged him much more than vice-versa.

- Rumble had some decent wins before getting into the UFC, but the performances against Davis and Nogueira were impressive. There weren't many fighters who had a better 2014 than him. If he beats Gustafsson he would definitely climb up.

- Thiago Silva, while inconsistent (maybe it was injuries), had a couple good performances and really made new fundamental, and technical improvements to his game near from the Feijao fight (use of the jab to control distance and pressure, foot positioning, less predictable defence with his high guard, opting to create opportunities to counter, etc.). I was high on him after that performance and thought he had the tools to pose some serious problems for most of the LHWs at the time. It is a shame what has happened since.

Btw, his fight with Evans was very close and I could honestly see it scored 29-29 with a 10-10 2nd round. He clearly got the better of the striking overall (hurt him badly at one point) and despite Evans taking him down almost any time he wanted in the 1st 2 rounds (Silva defended well when he wasn't make poor decisions to get into a sprawl position and waste energy), he got back to his feet almost immediately every time, and Evans didn't have a whole lot of significant offence outside of the 1st, and almost did nothing in the clinch during the 2nd.

- Cormier is a Top-10 p4p fighter imo, and his fight with Jones was very, very competitive and close. But he has only been in the division for a year, although looked very good in it, and deserves a shout.

Last edited:
Back