Bas Rutten Big DVD's?

Jammyface

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started BJJ class today. It's awsome, I just want to learn some additional techniques to use in class. Does anyone have them and/or recomend them? I might be taking my instructor's kickboxing class as well so if it will help my standup as well that would be great!

His Big DVDs of Combat go through an array of standup and ground techniques so I'm sure they'll help you out. But they seem to be more MMA oriented than the pure thai boxing and BJJ instructionals.

It is all no gi. Therefore, not all of it will translate over to BJJ. Get Saulo Ribeiro's Jiujitsu Revolution set instead if you want the best BJJ instructional set out right now. There are other DVDs that have flashier techniques but the Saulo set will put you on your way if you are just starting.

It's a great training aid. But it is geared towards MMA. A lot of the moves will work for BJJ. It's worth the money. The Eddie Bravo book is pretty cool also.

www.SSFgear.com

Marcelo GArcia has a gi set that is good to but I agree that Saulo's is probably the best. Also bjj doesn't automatically mean it's all gi related it's just how some people market it.

Garcia's set is more additional material to your arsenal, I wouldn't recommend either his gi or no gi set to beginners because they'll either hurt themselves or someone else trying to pull off 80% of his techniques.

Superbeast said:
Garcia's set is more additional material to your arsenal, I wouldn't recommend either his gi or no gi set to beginners because they'll either hurt themselves or someone else trying to pull off 80% of his techniques.

Good Point, as a beginner you should learn the basics and master them before trying to add other moves to your arsenal. You might want to have some added moves to pull off when you practice but at your level it's not necessary. You need to learn the basics until it becomes second nature. It far better to be able to execute a few techniques properly than to know a dozen yet execute them poorly. You also risk injury to yourself and others and it might be frowned upon should you use them.

Back