• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Barter for BJJ? NYC

We have a guy from Ronin come by once in a while who is related to one of our students.

Very well trained, and a tough kid. I would check them out for sure if your in the area.

1-live in bk or queens
2-study at public libraries
3-go work at subway and get free healthy lunches
4-spend mat time studying so you can graduate and afford proper bjj
5-checkout the judo program at 92nd street Y

Ok, I got a demographic profile. You go to BMCC and you live uptown? But how do you pay for rent unless you live at home? Barter system? Man you ahve to go back in time for that, but its not unheard of between trainers.

Sorry man, but you need a job to support training and lifestyle. I mean how do you feed yourself or how do you get around subway- Jump turnstyle?

In terms of cheepness, try NY combat Sambo or Machado School/ NY Blitz center.

Do you have any skills that could warrant XXX amount a month?

I mean if it is expensive lets say 150dollars a month just cleaning mats a couple of hours a week isn't worth it (for the gym owner) but lets say you could manage their website, do their books or something liek that

$10,000-$15,000 a month for a decent apt? what are you some royalty from an oil kingdom? that money will get you a penthouse in one of the nicest towers in the city. I suppose that's decent enough for you?
my brother in law just got a STUDIO on 52 st and 8th ave in a building with no amenities and pays $2300 a month. $27,600 a year.

I wonder if the TS ever trained?

From this thread, I learned:

Community colleges offer scholarships
Really passionate people continue to crapple

I am left wondering what potential bartering could be done by an unskilled college student? It's not like having a licensed contractor or similarly skilled individual, who could do work for the gym or the owner's home. Cleaning the mats after every class might be worth the cost of training, but what student has the time to commit to every class and clean.

Seems like it'd have to be a charity case.

I know a great judo club that trains 3 times a week for 20$ a month. They do a fair amount of judo newaza in every class. If you want i will get you the exact address it on 13street avuenue A in a community center. The teacher George has done judo for 40 years.

Why not live in a cheaper area in Manhattan and have a slightly longer commute to school?
or simply find a cheaper apartment. use the leftover money to pay for training. I know your parents aren't obligated to pay for you but in today's society, parents usually pay for one's tuition and living expenses. If that's the case, get a damn job.

If you're actually on your own and a poor college student, you may need to get your priorities straight and deal with the more important ones first. If you're taking any sort of hard classes or major, you're going to need the time to study and do your work, which may not leave enough time for both a job and mat time.

If you still want to train, I would find a cheaper alternative.. maybe a wrestling or judo club? Steven Koepfer has a Sambo gym in NYC and from what I hear, is both affordable and he's very well-respected and reputable in the sambo community. Maybe you can find a cheaper alternative in a boxing or muay thai gym?

I live in Brooklyn and I have been scouting for MMA programs for months.

MMA is very popular so the prices for unlimited classes for higher +100 range.

I have found remix dojo for sambo for 100 bucks a month unlimited. (In Brooklyn)

I haven't tried their trial session but hopefully I will have a good time.

Reilly Bodycomb (Remix Dojo) is a master at leg locks. Its a great place to train lower body grappling.

There are probably a lot of options for you. However unless you are very athletic with a promising competition future, don't expect any instructors to take any real interest in you. Best thing to do is scrap money together and get a job. Get a credit card and charge your training on that if you are that serious.

Otherwise scour the city for judo programs/college programs that allow you to train.

Also for the lurkers and others who post about looking for a gym. GUYS IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT TRAINING THEN JUST GET TO IT ALREADY. Its a lot of B.S. to be "looking for months" to find a place to train. Time is wsating, you are not getting any younger.

Reilly Bodycomb (Remix Dojo) is a master at leg locks. Its a great place to train lower body grappling.

There are probably a lot of options for you. However unless you are very athletic with a promising competition future, don't expect any instructors to take any real interest in you. Best thing to do is scrap money together and get a job. Get a credit card and charge your training on that if you are that serious.

Otherwise scour the city for judo programs/college programs that allow you to train.

Also for the lurkers and others who post about looking for a gym. GUYS IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT TRAINING THEN JUST GET TO IT ALREADY. Its a lot of B.S. to be "looking for months" to find a place to train. Time is wsating, you are not getting any younger.

I just checked out Remix Dojo's website. Looks good. I'm looking for a very ego-free environment to train in. Not looking to compete, just learn takedowns and submissions for fitness and self defense.LMAO @ rick roll btw...

Back