Barnett VS. Yoshida

even LHW isn't Yoshid's natural weight...
I think when he competed in judo he fought even lighter.
He didn't belong in there with Barnett or Thompson for that matter.

what kind of foot lock was barnett using. it seemed like a technique you use to break sticks when you were a kid

what kind of foot lock was barnett using. it seemed like a technique you use to break sticks when you were a kid

i think it was a heel hook, yoshida screamed and was limping as the guys helped him off

also i think yoshida rocked barnett at one point...i shall watch the fight again when i get home to make sure

even LHW isn't Yoshid's natural weight...
I think when he competed in judo he fought even lighter.
He didn't belong in there with Barnett or Thompson for that matter.

Why didn't he belong in there with Thompson? He made Thompson his bitch before gassing.

Why didn't he belong in there with Thompson? He made Thompson his bitch before gassing.

I agree that he completely schooled Thompson. It was disappointing to see him lose and i am saying he didn't deserve to fight JT, rather he should be given the chance to fight people closer to his weight.
I'm still surprised Yoshida didn't manage to finish him in that fight!

I think in a pure grappling match, Yoshida can beat a true heavyweight like Barnett. MMA is a different story. That size difference makes a whole lot more of a difference when a guy the size and skill of Barnett is hitting a guy the size of Yoshida.

The reason he got sub'd was because he was so gassed. If Barnett was closer to his size he wouldn't have gassed like that IMO. Yoshida and Barnett have both sub'd each other in training. It mostly just came down to the fact that Barnett is a true HW in every sense of the word... Yoshida is not. He has no buisness in there with huge HW's.

Judoka are not known for their gas tanks either though. They are sprinters, explosive, not distance runners.

Judoka are not known for their gas tanks either though. They are sprinters, explosive, not distance runners.

This is true, at least since the 80's when the match time was dropped to 5 minutes. In the 60's it was 15 minutes, and apparently 30 minutes before that. Just one more "improvement" to judo from the IJF :rolleyes:

Yoshida is too old and overweight to be fighting MMA, but I think even if he were younger and lighter he'd still have lost to Barnett - Barnett has got some very good grappling for MMA skills (ask Big Nog) :icon_chee

I don't think you can group every Judoka like that. Same with wrestlers.. some have problems with the gas tank, and some don't. Yoshida has never gassed when fighting people his own size.

Yoshida is too old and overweight to be fighting MMA, but I think even if he were younger and lighter he'd still have lost to Barnett - Barnett has got some very good grappling for MMA skills (ask Big Nog) :icon_chee

Yoshida's grappling is by no means inferior to Barnett's. They both routinely tap each other in training. Josh has said Yoshida is a master on the ground. Like I said, if Yoshida and Josh were the same size, I don't think he would have got sub'd. He couldn't fight off the sub because he so gassed he could hardly even get off the floor.

Yoshida's body was absolutely battered to bits by the time he was finished at high end judo, in 2001. Even at that point he was way past it, his last decent showing was in 1999. Put simply, he is washed up, and was before he even began MMA. By now he has no place still fighting, he had no chance against Barnett really.

To win the olympic gold in judo you need a freakishly large gas tank. Its explosive, but they fight a lot of fights and its a long, tough 5 mins.

In any case he has rubber ankles. That would have popped most people's knee or ankle...

I agree with what most people said so far: a fight with a same size Yoshida would have been pretty different.

I attribute the gazing out to the size difference, btw, and not so much to Yoshida's age.

Yoshida's grappling is by no means inferior to Barnett's. They both routinely tap each other in training. Josh has said Yoshida is a master on the ground. Like I said, if Yoshida and Josh were the same size, I don't think he would have got sub'd. He couldn't fight off the sub because he so gassed he could hardly even get off the floor.

Sure, but Yoshida's ideal weight is probably around 185 pounds. Barnett's is over 240. An in shape, young Yoshida is going to lose to Barnett because of the size difference ... ie it would never be a really competitive match.

Sure, but Yoshida's ideal weight is probably around 185 pounds. Barnett's is over 240. An in shape, young Yoshida is going to lose to Barnett because of the size difference ... ie it would never be a really competitive match.

I didn't say he would win. I said IMO.. if they were the same size he wouldn't get sub'd. The reason he got sub'd had more to do with the gas tank it would seem.

Word. I think every judoka we've seen in mma is just hanging on at the end. Even the vets in Fedor or Karo. In each match at the end vs Nog, Fedor looks like he is completely gassed and Nog looks fine. Seems even those guys can 'just' get to the end.

Word. I think every judoka we've seen in mma is just hanging on at the end. Even the vets in Fedor or Karo. In each match at the end vs Nog, Fedor looks like he is completely gassed and Nog looks fine. Seems even those guys can 'just' get to the end.

The only fight Fedor ever gassed in was his fight with Heath Herring. He got tired in his fight with Hunt because he had an injury and wasn't able to train his cardio properly (wasn't his fault). In his fight with Nog he had just fought a 25 minute war. Ofcourse he was starting to get tired. Most fighters would. Even great wrestlers and BJJ guys gas. Chuck has gassed a few times. Tito gassed against Forrest and Frank Shamrock. Coleman has gassed many times and so has Randleman. Gomi has gassed in the past. BJ Penn has a gas tank problem. Shogun gassed against Forrest, Marcus Aurelio gassed against Clay Guida... I realy don't think this problem is confined more or less to any one style.

Back