Social Bank boss says it’s not ‘that difficult’ to buy a home — and sparks a backlash

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
Karen Gilchrist @_KARENGILCHRIST

• The chair of one of Britain’s biggest banks faced a backlash Friday after saying that it is currently not “that difficult” to get on the property ladder.
  • “I don’t think it’s that difficult at the moment,” NatWest chair Howard Davies told the BBC. “You have to save, and that’s the way it always used to be.”
  • The average U.K. property currently costs £287,105 ($366,357), while those in London are £528,798, new data showed Friday.
142c7d43672b856cb2162bc2d4c255c7.jpg

The chair of one of Britain’s biggest banks faced a backlash Friday after saying it is not “that difficult” to get on the property ladder.

NatWest chair Howard Davies told the BBC’s “Today” program that the current economic landscape — which has seen interest rates rise to a 15-year high — is little different to other historical periods.

“I don’t think it’s that difficult at the moment,” Davies said when asked when it might be easier for Britons to purchase a property.

“You have to save, and that’s the way it always used to be,” he added.

U.K mortgage rates have largely held steady at over 5% since April 2023, with some lenders only this week lowering rates in anticipation of interest rate cuts from the Bank of England. Higher rates, in turn, have limited available stock on the market.

Meantime, higher inflation and a cost-of-living crisis has made it harder for would-be homebuyers to save the minimum 10% deposit typically required to purchase a home.

Davies acknowledged that consumers today would need to save more for their down payment due in part to new protections brought in in the wake of the financial crisis. However, he argued that the landscape was now safer for consumers, too.

images

“There were dangers in very, very easy access to mortgage credit,” he said.

“I totally recognize that there are people who are finding it very difficult to start the process. They will have to save more. But that is, I think, inherent in the change in the financial system as a result of the mistakes that were made in the last global financial crisis, and we have to accept we’re still living with that,” Davies said.

Still, the comments sparked a furore on social media, with critics describing Davies as out of touch.

Ben Twomey, chief executive of campaign group Generation Rent, said in a post that Davies had little idea what it was like for renters hoping to gain their first step on the property ladder.

“What planet does he live on? I wonder how often Sir Howard speaks to renters, as we pass on a third of our wages to landlords and struggle to pay our soaring bills,” Twomey said.

Richard Murphy, a political economist and professor at the U.K.’s University of Sheffield, described the comments as “a staggering demonstration of the disconnect between bankers and reality in this country.”

The average U.K. property currently costs £287,105 ($366,357), according to figures released Friday by Halifax, the U.K.’s biggest mortgage lender. Costs in major cities, however, are even higher, with the average London home now priced at £528,798.

Richard Donnell, executive director of Zoopla, told CNBC Friday that there was likely to be an increase in property purchases in 2024 as a result of easing interest rates. But he noted that the outlook remained “challenging” on the back of supressed sales volumes in 2023.

“We only had a million people move home last year,” Donnell said.

“Hopefully we just build back sales volumes [in 2024], because adjusting from 2% mortgage rates to 4, 5, 6% mortgage rates was never going to be a one-year, once and done thing,” he added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/05/nat...-saying-not-that-difficult-to-buy-a-home.html

The starting point for a first home buyer is to get a good job that pays good money.

Then you can go to the bank and you can borrow money.

It's not...assuming you're in a job that pays enough money. However, the jobs that pay enough money are much fewer than in the past. Partially because wages haven't risen and partially because the cost of housing has gone up. But I'm sure the people in his industry haven't seen the wage stagnation that would make him aware of these issues in real time.

It's not...assuming you're in a job that pays enough money. However, the jobs that pay enough money are much fewer than in the past. Partially because wages haven't risen and partially because the cost of housing has gone up. But I'm sure the people in his industry haven't seen the wage stagnation that would make him aware of these issues in real time.
It’s objectively harder to purchase a home in the United States right now.

That's part of the picture. Another problem is inventory. When interest rates hit bottom a few years ago, EVERYONE refi'd that could. So you have all these people with amazing mortgages that no way want to move and go from 3% to 7% or whatever. Which means those houses that would normally be on the market aren't available (even at inflated prices).

It's never been easier to borrow money, but that doesn't equate to easy buying.

Theres 1000s of home available, but deposits are substantial and affordability is stretched (3.5x salary doesn't cover loan).

The high market prices have been bouyed up for years with wonky government assist and partial ownership schemes in shoddily made new builds.

There's also issues in that many youngsters are completely inept at any DIY or basic construction, so need ready to go out of the box homes. That leaves the more solid bargain homes, needing improvement, to the older buyers

Last edited:
Its actually not. There is shit coal mine towns about an hour away from me, that houses are going for 30-40 grand. There is literally nothing in these towns but a gas station, a bar or two, and a grocery store. But the houses are not bad. Same houses would go for $200K in my town thats just an hour away.

Yeah, all they need to do is save for 17 years, and boom, you too can then spend all of it to begin 30 years of mortgage payments, and voila, by 2071, you'll be living in your own home.

The UK median average household savings is £2,160 annually,

34% of adults in the UK having either no savings, or less than £1,000 in their savings. Sep 15, 2023

Last edited:
Time to get the rich to pay thier fair share!

This is hilariously out of touch for the UK. There's people I know trying to get a deposit together but rents are higher than ever as is the cost of living in general so unless you live with your parents it's very hard to get enough to get a deposit that's going to net you an affordable interest rate in the first place.

Not if you use my assumptions...

Assuming you make enough money..
I meant for the majority of Americans. Of course people with enough wealth can do the things their wealth allows them to do.

Back