Banana Split?

TheAth-ah-lete

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A while back I was looking at Eddie Bravo's first book and in it I learned the lockdown, and I seem to remember some type of submission from twister side control that I think was called a banana split. I used a submission last night that did put him in the splits, but it didn't look like the one I remember from the book (It's in storage so I can't go look through it).

I pulled halfguard and immediately went for the lockdown and double underhooks. I used it to move his body like I was trying to throw him over me, then I whipped up onto my side and then hooked my right hand under his left leg. I think a sweep tothe left from this position is called a "100 percent", but instead of sweeping to the left I took him straight back, and I kept the back of his left knee on my shoulder.

Now I had the lockdown on his right leg, his left leg over my shoulder. I put my left hand around his neck and left arm, gable gripped my hands, then extended, putting him in a splits kind of position. Obviously this wouldn't work on an extremely flexible person, and I thought he might not tap for minute, but I slowly applied more pressure and he finally did.

What's the name of this?

that sweep from lockdown i think is the plan B, or plan B/twist combo depending on if you modified your lockdown. (not sure, dont have my MTRG on me at the moment)

the banana split is done with your hips underneath his. Also, this is a minor point, but if you just kept the lockdown on his right leg, your figure four would be the opposite orientation from if you had done a banana split from the twister roll or de souza/ankle from backmount.

Yup, I just found a video of an actual banana split which is what was in the Mayhem picture. What I did had me on top of him, us face to face, with his leg inbetween us.

I've never seen anything like it done before. I just saw an opportunity and knew there was no way the guy was flexible enough to do the full splits.lol

How cool would that be if I invented a submission.lol. I'm expecting someone to have seen this before though and can tell me what it's called.

Also, this is a minor point, but if you just kept the lockdown on his right leg, your figure four would be the opposite orientation from if you had done a banana split from the twister roll or de souza/ankle from backmount.

Exactly what I saw when I looked at the vid. This was a conventional lockdown but I was on top rather than on bottom.

Sounds almost like the electric chair, except that you dont grab around the head and neck. There is a guy in our gym that likes to use the electric chair / banana splits. Luckily I am flexible enough that those moves don't bother me at all.

Eddie Bravo: The Electric Chair by choke88 -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network

ALMOST EXACTLY! The setup was a little different, but I had his leg on my shoulder and the lockdown EXACTLY like he did. The only difference was my grip around his head which pulled his knee into his face.lol

Actually I just finished watching the vid and he went right to the position I tapped him from except he just passed from there and didn't try to stretch it anymore.

ALMOST EXACTLY! The setup was a little different, but I had his leg on my shoulder and the lockdown EXACTLY like he did. The only difference was my grip around his head which pulled his knee into his face.lol

Actually I just finished watching the vid and he went right to the position I tapped him from except he just passed from there and didn't try to stretch it anymore.

Yup, that is what a teammate of mine tried to do to me cept I am flexible enough for it not to bother me. :icon_chee

I use the banana split from the twister (although I hate to call it a twister as its a wrestling guillotine position), and I use it to set up taking the back. A lot of guys in jits are flexible enough to not get a tap from it, but it is a really good transition to the back from WG position.

I use the banana split from the twister (although I hate to call it a twister as its a wrestling guillotine position), and I use it to set up taking the back. A lot of guys in jits are flexible enough to not get a tap from it, but it is a really good transition to the back from WG position.

Does this work well for you?

Yup, I just found a video of an actual banana split which is what was in the Mayhem picture. What I did had me on top of him, us face to face, with his leg inbetween us.

I see what you mean now.

Yea I guess you can go into some sort of split submission like that from the electric chair. Though I've never used that - from electric chair I like to pass that leg over my head, come out the back door, and either take the back or go into sidemount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back