balancing weight training with boxing

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by HeavyD99, Dec 9, 2005.

1. HeavyD99

HeavyD99 Orange Belt

WARNING NOOB POST

This has probably been posted several times, but I've been weight training for about a year now to build mass. I have recently got into boxing, but Im being constantly told that weight training will mess up my hand speed and flexibility. Does anyone know any stretching routines I can do before and after my workout to avoid messing up my flexibility and hand speed. Thanx.

2. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

i don't think it messes up hand speed or flexibility much. but when i weight trained with my uncle who was pro for a while.. he had me doing a lot of stretches for my chest.. like grabbing a corner of a wall and twisting your body so it stretches your chest. and grabbing the top of something and kinda pulling down to stretch your lats/chest. i'd do that after my sets of bench and flys.

he had me doing flys differently than regular flys. they say for regular flys its like you're reaching around a barrel. my uncle had me doing them with my arms at right angles. they are pretty demanding. i wasn't supposed to tell you this much even. i gatta go

3. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

weight training seemed to affect my muscle endurance most.. i did a lot of training for 3-5 rep heavy squats and i'm still trying to get used to 10 minutes of stairmaster. i KNOW i'm extremely strong for my weight and build.. i can do shitloads of heavy shoulder presses and weighted pull-ups. but keeping my lead shoulder from getting tired when i'm practicing my movement in my stance is a problem

4. Rudy Richter

Rudy Richter Amateur Fighter

I know EXACTLY what you mean :D . You know what ended up helping me? I run on that eliptical thing with 2 and 3lbs weights for approx 10 minutes or more holding my hands up(I run longer but 10 minutes with the weights). Every once in a while I shake it off. The funny thing is that I sued to think getting a "pump" was cool. Now I only get a sever pump when I am out of boxing shape(strength endurance is down).

5. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

that's true about the pump. i never noticed that.