balancing weight training with boxing

HeavyD99

Orange Belt
Reaction score
WARNING NOOB POST

This has probably been posted several times, but I've been weight training for about a year now to build mass. I have recently got into boxing, but Im being constantly told that weight training will mess up my hand speed and flexibility. Does anyone know any stretching routines I can do before and after my workout to avoid messing up my flexibility and hand speed. Thanx.

i don't think it messes up hand speed or flexibility much. but when i weight trained with my uncle who was pro for a while.. he had me doing a lot of stretches for my chest.. like grabbing a corner of a wall and twisting your body so it stretches your chest. and grabbing the top of something and kinda pulling down to stretch your lats/chest. i'd do that after my sets of bench and flys.

he had me doing flys differently than regular flys. they say for regular flys its like you're reaching around a barrel. my uncle had me doing them with my arms at right angles. they are pretty demanding. i wasn't supposed to tell you this much even. i gatta go

weight training seemed to affect my muscle endurance most.. i did a lot of training for 3-5 rep heavy squats and i'm still trying to get used to 10 minutes of stairmaster. i KNOW i'm extremely strong for my weight and build.. i can do shitloads of heavy shoulder presses and weighted pull-ups. but keeping my lead shoulder from getting tired when i'm practicing my movement in my stance is a problem

OpethDrums said:
weight training seemed to affect my muscle endurance most.. i did a lot of training for 3-5 rep heavy squats and i'm still trying to get used to 10 minutes of stairmaster. i KNOW i'm extremely strong for my weight and build.. i can do shitloads of heavy shoulder presses and weighted pull-ups. but keeping my lead shoulder from getting tired when i'm practicing my movement in my stance is a problem

I know EXACTLY what you mean :D . You know what ended up helping me? I run on that eliptical thing with 2 and 3lbs weights for approx 10 minutes or more holding my hands up(I run longer but 10 minutes with the weights). Every once in a while I shake it off. The funny thing is that I sued to think getting a "pump" was cool. Now I only get a sever pump when I am out of boxing shape(strength endurance is down).

Back