Balancing Muay Thai + BJJ

Kimura123

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I'm nearly 15 and I currently do martial arts Monday - Thursday. My schedule is as follows:

Monday: BJJ Gi 6:30 - 8:30

Tuesday: No-Gi 5:00 - 8:00

Wednesday: Judo 5:30 - 6:30, BJJ Gi 6:30 - 8:00

Thursday: BJJ Gi 5:00 - 6:00, Muay Thai 6:30 - 7:30, Wrestling 7:30 - 8:00 (I join in halfway through)

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be better if I replaced Monday's session with 2 hours of Muay Thai, that way I'd be doin 3 hours Muay Thai 8 hours BJJ, or stick with how it is, 1 hour Muay Thai, 10 hours BJJ. Also I wanna do MMA when I'm older.

I am no expert, in fact in a complete newb!

However, surely at your age, just do what you enjoy and what will keep you training.

Talk to your coaches and see what they think. At your age, I would think do whatever you enjoy and motivates you. I don't see either choice being wrong. Beyond that if you have a goal to say be a great at grappling then you should do more BJJ. If you want to to be a thai boxes than do more of that. If you want a career in mma then for sure talk to your coach about what type of emphasis you should have now. Good luck!

Talk to your coaches and see what they think. At your age, I would think do whatever you enjoy and motivates you. I don't see either choice being wrong. Beyond that if you have a goal to say be a great at grappling then you should do more BJJ. If you want to to be a thai boxes than do more of that. If you want a career in mma then for sure talk to your coach about what type of emphasis you should have now. Good luck!

Well, when I fight in MMA, I want my primary style to be BJJ, so maybe I should focus most of my time on it?

I don't have that much experience with striking but I think just based on your age mix it up a little and train another day of MT. Your grappling is covered according to your post 1 less class of grappling isn't going to hurt you but another MT class would really help. You have a very impressive training schedule don't burn yourself out or seriously injure yourself though I see that with a lot of the teens

If you're growing up to be an MMA fighter, then I can tell you that MMA is pretty essential to the current metagame.

You're going to be scored lower in guard even if you're wrecking the guy up top. A take down is going to score you good points. And because of this, a lot of guys, after getting taken down, they focus less on the JJ and instead try to get back up for a take down for points.

With that being said, I'm sure you'll hear this a lot, but 1 class of striking a week is not going to get you much. I train MT 3-4 times a week, 5 when I'm super free of exams and classes. Back then I trained 2 times only and I felt like I wasn't really getting anywhere. Even with 3 times, I still feel like I need more training.

Bottom line is, 1 to 10 ratio is not very good :(. I'd say even 3-8 is way better.

Back