Balance

prowrestler

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys kno any good drills to work on balance...my balance ain't that great...

thanks guys.

What kind of balance? Have you busted ankles in the past? Is your issue moving forward and back or side to side? For stand-up? Is your hearing OK?

When I train someone, I never let them rest. My relaxation times must bring a benefit so I will have clients work balance. There are many things to do. It would help to know how you are experiencing the lack of balance.

Your head weights 15-20 pounds. Once it is leaning in any direction, it will pull your body with it. That will pull your balance off. Always keep your position and form strong with your head centrally located over your base (feet or stance). Keep your neck strong.

I also do blindfolded work. Put on a black cloth and do some shadow boxing (hopefully in a safe place). Do it for 5-10 minutes. When you take it off, your sense of balance will be heightened and your movements will feel better. However, it will slowly revert back. You will need to do that often and your body will make adjustments.

yeah, shadowboxing while blindfolded will really help your balance

What kind of balance? Have you busted ankles in the past? Is your issue moving forward and back or side to side? For stand-up? Is your hearing OK?

When I train someone, I never let them rest. My relaxation times must bring a benefit so I will have clients work balance. There are many things to do. It would help to know how you are experiencing the lack of balance.

Your head weights 15-20 pounds. Once it is leaning in any direction, it will pull your body with it. That will pull your balance off. Always keep your position and form strong with your head centrally located over your base (feet or stance). Keep your neck strong.

I also do blindfolded work. Put on a black cloth and do some shadow boxing (hopefully in a safe place). Do it for 5-10 minutes. When you take it off, your sense of balance will be heightened and your movements will feel better. However, it will slowly revert back. You will need to do that often and your body will make adjustments.

Ya, I think it cuz i put most of my weight on my back foot, especially when im defending punches.

But the blindfold thing really works?

Another one is have them punch the bag while you hold. Occassionally pull it away - this will tell them in a hurry if they are leaning into their punch.

Have them take a stance and try to push them from all 4 sides.

There a bunch of them.

Ya, I think it cuz i put most of my weight on my back foot, especially when im defending punches.

But the blindfold thing really works?

It is immediate and distinct. I am however not sure whether it makes permanent change yet. I think it does but I can't say for sure.

If you practice standing on one foot with the elevated leg bent and parallel with the floor see if you struggle with balance. Check how long you can stay in that position. THen shut your eyes. You will move all over the place. Focus on keeping the head directly over the foot that is planted.

They also sell instability disks. Power-Systems.com.

No hands on crosstrainer/skimachine etc at the gym, add some body and head movements after a while, then some shadowboxing.

That's expected and has a simple cure: don't learn back when you get punched, stand your ground.

- Practice with a double end bag to avoid the natural reaction of shifting your weight back
- practice with a partner throwing light punches and slip forward (when I first started slipping I'd slip backwards and throw myself off balance) It's natural reaction to move the head out of the way and away from the punch, but try to train yourself to move it out of the way and forward

or do it old school:

- go to corner gas station and ask them for an old tire
- stand on tire in your stance and do your defenses, slips and ducks, etc.
- now have a partner hit you while doing your defenses on the tire

my balance got pretty good pretty fast... and the only thing really balance specific i did was that i would throw a lot of kicks (lets say 100 roundhouses) from one leg, without my kicking leg ever touching the ground. make sure you do them on both legs. that helped me out a lot.

Back