Bag work

Gfreak

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Focused mainly on just doing some power focused rounds today.

Lower back is pretty shit from sparring yesterday though.

Still have a tendency to fall forward a bit when I'm focused too much on power.

Great stuff. Balance looked pretty good to me. Maybe at the end, when you were starting to fatigue a bit, you got a little off balance, but not much. Your moving well though.

you consistently throw your shots with good positioning and in an athletic stance with knees bent a little, and then as soon as you decide the combination is finished, you stand up straight with knees locked in an unathletic position

I would get a lil more creative, with hectic movements, unpredictable. Looked pretty standard. All the shots looked similar, power speed movement, all looked like the same 3 shots

Also you didn't practice evasions, upper or head movements. Try more things out

Some of the shots were fast considering your weight. Looks like you don't telegraph.

Yea, was purposefully resetting a lot on this round just cause i was focusing on power. No excuse for not disengaging properly and then resetting though, will work ont hat.

I'm bout 30lbs heavier than my old competition walk around weight (180, compete at 170). So I'm fat, but I can be deceptive haha.

Yea, was purposefully resetting a lot on this round just cause i was focusing on power. No excuse for not disengaging properly and then resetting though, will work ont hat.

I'm bout 30lbs heavier than my old competition walk around weight (180, compete at 170). So I'm fat, but I can be deceptive haha.

Can you post some sparring footage?

Yea ONe of these days i'll get some. At the moment, i'm the most experienced fighter at the gym by quite a bit (new program). (outside of the coach of course).

So I'll try and do some lighter sparring I do with those guys and post it if I get some footage. That's more just technical sparring though.

Beathe, bro... don't forget to breathe.

I find that's the one technique big guys forget about.

If you want to fix the problem of head and chest past the feet (which should be fixed) hit the bag a bit with your feet closer to the bag than you're comfortable with, but your head back. This is an old video but you can see that this student only shifts forward TO shift back into position. And he can box with feet close to the bag with no hindrance of his head being too close:

It's also much less strain on the lumbar.

Still have a tendency to fall forward a bit when I'm focused too much on power.

It shouldn't have an effect. Either somethings wrong with your weight transfer, stance, or just lack of repetitions. Don't be afraid to trial and error and see when it clicks for you. Be fluid in your mindset. Keep certain core elements to punching and play around with the rest.

If you want to fix the problem of head and chest past the feet (which should be fixed) hit the bag a bit with your feet closer to the bag than you're comfortable with, but your head back. This is an old video but you can see that this student only shifts forward TO shift back into position. And he can box with feet close to the bag with no hindrance of his head being too close:

Thanks a ton. Lately been having issues with my lower back giving out before anything else. That's probably the cause. Willd efinitely be working that drill. Thanks!

Rewatching that video and re-reading your advice. I'm just curious, is that a style thing with your fighters? I've noticed a lot of them fight off the back foot with their head further back than many other's that i've seen.

Are there any disadvantages to this style?

As a side note, I'll hopefully be able to get a bit of video of sparring tonight.. Depending on who shows up might not be much to watch though.

Rewatching that video and re-reading your advice. I'm just curious, is that a style thing with your fighters? I've noticed a lot of them fight off the back foot with their head further back than many other's that i've seen.

Are there any disadvantages to this style?

As a side note, I'll hopefully be able to get a bit of video of sparring tonight.. Depending on who shows up might not be much to watch though.
Lots of old school boxers have that heavy on the back foot thing, with the head of the centre line. Sinister is just a good coach that is able to teach this style, as a back foot boxer myself, I think it improves defense, but I can't really comment to the disadvantages, accept for having to shift your weight more to throw a good left hook. From my experience left hookers tend to be more front foot heavy (orthodox).

Back