Bag Gloves, worth buying?

SteveX

Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus
@Black
Reaction score
I been doing a little research and I was wondering if I should continue using my 14 oz. Fairtex and Twins gloves on the heavy bag and pads?

I know these gloves are technically training/sparring gloves, but I bought them with the intent of using them solely on the bag and pads and at 14 oz. for conditioning purposes.

The reason I did not buy actual Bag Gloves is because they are very light, and I feel I would be missing out on that conditioning the 14 oz. gloves give me (I am around 120 lbs.)

Do you guys think I should invest in some sturdy quality Bag Gloves and leave my other gloves to sparring? I have only used the Twins / Fairtex gloves a few rounds of sparring and padwork each, so I doubt they are damaged in any way.

Bag gloves are thinner and less padded so you can condition your hand to deal with the impact they'll absorb when you do throw heavy shots with well padded gloves. That's always what I've been always told. So yes, invest in some bag gloves for pad and bag work and keep your boxing gloves for sparring against people.

What about gloves like the combat sports 6oz gloves? or fairtex 4oz? Are these ok for pad and bag work as well? I assume they are but am wondering if maybe i should trythose out, i use 12oz revgear gloves right now.

I use Harbingers and Fairtex bag gloves myself. I keep my grappling and MMA gloves aside for training. You could use 4oz gloves but ALWAYS use wraps or a wrist supports so you don't end up with swollen wrists. Some people might think you hurt them in another way... :eek:

I use harbinger's bag glove and love them. For knuckle conditioning you can try hitting the bag with just wraps on for a round or two just be careful cause you can mess up your wrist if you hit it wrong but if your careful and dont go crazy you should be ok. I just bought the SSF boxing gloves for longer sessions on the bag.
Edit: i just noticed your 120 lbs if your just starting off you dont need monster boxing gloves start with lighter bag gloves to get conditioned first trust me you will be dead after a few rounds if your just starting i find bag gloves let me get better at form too which is what you need starting

i'd steer clear of fight gloves for bag work... most mma gloves are meant for fighting, not daily pounding on a heavy bag

I like to hit the bag bareknuckle to start with, then put bag gloves on once the knuckles start to get a little tender. I find that each time I train I can go a little longer before I have put the gloves on as my knuckles conditioning improves. It also improves my technique doing it this way: I hit really cleanly now and never get sore wrists(there was a time.... :mad: ) Towards the end of a workout I like to put on the 12oz gloves. I think it's important to get some time in with these because it's not the same as using bag gloves.

I wouldnt get rid of your gloves that you've got IMO. The extra weight is helping your conditioning, and everyone thinks they have tough hands from using minimal protection until they injure them (or their wrists) and then wish they had used more protection. Not being able to train is a bitch.

Just like the principle of the thai bag, where some people fill the sucker rock hard and think you need to hit a hard ass bag to condition your shins. Except in Thailand they mostly fill the sucker packed with rags because the real conditioning comes from kicking the bastard hundreds of times. Your body adapts physiologically to impact slowly and gradually. In terms of motor learning you are going to limit the power of the shots you throw subconsciously if you go with minimal protection, since you will bruise/skin up your hands if you really lay into the bag with full power. The sustained ability to throw full power shots in training is what is going to allow you to physically and neurologically adapt correctly to be able to do the same in a fight.

Good protection will allow you to do that. There isnt any harm in using your 14oz'ers to do your work. Don't spend money on new gloves. Spend that money on maybe a session or two with a trainer with a CSCS or SSC certification to design a sport-speciific strength and conditioning regimen for you instead.

Listen to Arclight, hitting a bag with bare hands or 4oz gloves isn't going to condition them any bit. Sure you may get callouses but you're still doing considerable damage to the joints and ligaments from your fingers to the wrists to the elbows and even into the shoulder. You can use bag gloves for pad or focus mit striking but don't use it for heavy bag work. Use hand wraps whenever you hit the heavy bag to avoid serious injury and save the bag gloves for pad work and you'll be fine.

The truth is I was looking to buy a pair of new gloves anyway, I gave away my 14 oz. Fairtex Pro Sparring gloves to my Brother scince he is tight on money and wants to get into the Sport.

So, me being 120 pounds, and in the market for some new gloves, should I just buy another pair of 14 oz. ( or 12 oz. ? ) Training Gloves from either Twins or Fairtex? Or should I buy some Bag gloves instead?

I am a beginner I have been training around 2 months so far.

Also I do always wear handwraps when hitting the bag, should I use handwraps when hitting the mitts too?

I just got some Prime Time MMA gloves from Ron at SSF and they are great for bag work and sparring. My knuckles were'nt even red or anything after 5x3 rounds, which is amazing for mma gloves (my Sherdog's tore my hands up completely over 3x3). I will be writing up a review over the weekend, but can tell you right now that these are a great pair of gloves.

scorcho said:
I just got some Prime Time MMA gloves from Ron at SSF and they are great for bag work and sparring. My knuckles were'nt even red or anything after 5x3 rounds, which is amazing for mma gloves (my Sherdog's tore my hands up completely over 3x3). I will be writing up a review over the weekend, but can tell you right now that these are a great pair of gloves.

I am doing Muay Thai atm, and I'm not really an MMA guy just curious though, how heavy are they? 6oz?

Bag gloves are usually lighter (I've got some that let me add weights to it to match my sparring gloves)than sparring gloves and are made a little tougher to stand up to the constant pounding of bag work. Personally I'd rather pound the crap out of my bag gloves and save my sparring gloves for when I'm actually sparring.

I have the same problem. I was going to buy the Fairtex bag gloves but they also have the muay thai gloves. I mostly box but plan on doing kickboxing later on. Are Muay Thai bag gloves that different from regular bag gloves??

ChowTime100 said:
I have the same problem. I was going to buy the Fairtex bag gloves but they also have the muay thai gloves. I mostly box but plan on doing kickboxing later on. Are Muay Thai bag gloves that different from regular bag gloves??

I have used the Muay Thai Bag Gloves, the thumb finger is cut off so the top of your thumb sticks out and it has hook and loop closure.

The regular Fairtex Bag gloves do not have either the cut thumb or hook and loop, the only difference Fairtex lists is better wrist support on the Muay Thai Bag gloves.

well i have the fairtex super bag gloves and a pair of title boxing gloves (14oz) my bags gloves never see the light of day. i've always trained with my boxing gloves. plus why would you get bag gloves when you know eventually you'll have to do some sparring. so instead of two gloves you can have just one gloves and save the rest of the money for some other gear. but it seems as though your intent on getting the bag gloves so i would recommend the fairtex super bag gloves

No, just use gloves that are less than 16oz to train. Bag Gloves IMO are not worth it and save the money for some good gloves.

I use my 16 oz. for bagwork and sparring. Works for me, I never liked bag gloves.

Back