bad rap in Brazil

Lester McGrath

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that BJJ has gotten a bad rap in Brazil lately.
Anyone have info on this?

Thanks.

I've always found that rap in anything other than english or spanish sounds ridiculous.

I disagree, it sounds ridiculous in english too.

actually brazil as had great rappers! what the hell are you taliking about?

GABRIEL O PENSADOR, O HOMEM QUE ELES AMAM ODIAR! VEIO PARA ... HUM! HUM! "TENTAR" FALAR.. :) but there strenght lays in heavy rock: raimundos, sepultura, mamonas, ratos do porao, chico science, etc..

about the reputation thing (I assume that's what you are talking about), it is not a new thing. actually BJJ is starting to enjoy a little peace after years of bad reputation, guys like marcelo tigre, bunny, sandro bala, ryan gracie among many others have put the BJJ name in the mud, but guys like that are a dying breed, and BJJ starts to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

ps. french rap sucks big time :)

LOL. Should have seen it coming. In fact, when I made the thread, I considered changing the "rap" word to "publicity" or "reputation".

Thanks for the info.

PS. I only listen to Puerto Rican and from USA. Especialy Christian Hip-Hop.

kimurense said:
but there strenght lays in heavy rock: raimundos, sepultura, mamonas, ratos do porao, chico science, etc..
charlie brown jr, soul fly?

I like Brasilian reggae.....Good stuff. Natiruts, Cidade Negra, Reflexus, Tribo De JAH

CobraKai4Life said:
I like Brasilian reggae.....Good stuff. Natiruts, Cidade Negra, Reflexus, Tribo De JAH
has reggaeton made its way to brazil yet?

Bad rap for what? you heard they have a bad rap?

For what? besides being cocky i dont know..... and it doesnt have strikes..

kimurense said:
actually brazil as had great rappers! what the hell are you taliking about?

actually the guy said that BJJ had bad rap. And I have to agree with him... I have yet to see one semi-decent BJJ rapper. Hell... I've yet to see any BJJ guy rap at all. haha

keeping it serious BJJ has ALWAYS had a bad reputation in brazil. thanks to the gracie

Sherdog_Mutt said:
actually the guy said that BJJ had bad rap. And I have to agree with him... I have yet to see one semi-decent BJJ rapper. Hell... I've yet to see any BJJ guy rap at all. haha

A couple years ago my first instructor, a bb from brazil, was doing some beat boxing when joking around with one of the purple belts. I wish we filmed all classes, because there's some funny shit that goes down.

LozanoJ1985 said:
charlie brown jr, soul fly?
charlie brown is pretty good aswell. I really like soulfly, but I think they are more american, the only brazilian is max cavalera (I think..)

cidade negra is pretty cool aswell, but reagge isn't my thing...

i did hear there was this gang going round bullying people...or was that in hawaii?

Lester McGrath said:
I have heard that BJJ has gotten a bad rap in Brazil lately.
Anyone have info on this?

Thanks.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Carley Gracie. He is talking about his father Carlos and the Gracie Challenge.

"That's where the challenge came in. Eventually, my father put an advertisement in a newspaper that went something like this: 'If you want to get your face beaten and well-smashed, and if you want broken arms, look for me at this address.'"

This was Carlos back in the 1920's. So I think BJJ has had a bad reputation as thug fighting for quite a while in Brazil, not just lately.

You guys obviously have never heard about DJ Sadam (no joke intended here!), he

mv bill is good, and i heard i song called "el commando", it was good

Lester do you know a guy named ricardo collazo, i heard he teaches out of his garage in Puerto Rico, he is suppose to be really good.

i clicked on this thread thinking how i was going to pwn all of you by making a joke about brazilian rap...all well

Back