Bad parts in great games.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.

Herding cows in Red Dead
Yoga in GTA5

MGS4 - The long portion that you have to follow some jackass through France.

That ain't fun.

Xen in Half Life is probably the big daddy of shitty levels in otherwise amazing games

Lol the Archers in Anor Londo are overrated. Blocking the arrows doesnt knock you off unless you are right on the edge of the walkway. You can also easily roll through them. Once you make it up the left archer is blocked by a piller and the right usually falls off once you get close enough and he pulls out his sword and swings

The Bed of Choas is a much worse part of the game. They made a stage hazard a boss.

For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.
There's your problem. You aren't supposed to block great arrows lol. Just rush for the Silver Knight on the right. Most of the time he'll draw his sword and give you an easy parry or even fall off while attempting to hit you.

Speaking of Dark Souls 1 and bad parts of games - I can give you two: Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith.
If anyone reading this has played through Dark Souls 1 I shouldn't even have to explain these lol.

Gummi ship in Kingdom Hearts. Not sure wtf they were thinking with that one.

After you do it often enough it's not bad, but The Fade section of DA: Origins was a bit of a pain the first couple of times through.

Not neccesarily bad, but for a game as good as it is I thought the Dandelion segment dragged on for WAY too long and was quite boring. Been awhile since I've played but I remember playing and thinking to myself "ANOTHER dandelion quest?!"

There's your problem. You aren't supposed to block great arrows lol. Just rush for the Silver Knight on the right. Most of the time he'll draw his sword and give you an easy parry or even fall off while attempting to hit you.

Speaking of Dark Souls 1 and bad parts of games - I can give you two: Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith.
If anyone reading this has played through Dark Souls 1 I shouldn't even have to explain these lol.

Those fucking Bounding Demons are annoying.

ME3's ending

I wouldn't say it was bad, but I always hated the Water Temple in Zelda: OOT.

Combat in Witcher games.

ME 3 ending.

Mako and Inventory system in MassEffect 1

Boss fights in Dues Ex: HR

Narrow passageways in Baldurs Gate and Infinity Engine games.

Scanning for minerals in ME 2. It's not unusual for resource gathering in games to be a bit of a chore; obviously the whole idea is that you're rewarded for your patience, but scanning planets sticks out even among tedious farming activities.

Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

Pop idol RPG part of Yakuza 5.

Instead of crushing skulls and being badass, you have a grind singing and dancing as well as signing photographs and walking around town in the most obscene way possible.

Getting annoyed at dying is one thing, but the Tomb made me wish I could just warp right past it. God that place fucking sucked.

Going through Dead Space 2 right now, and they have all these fucking "cutscenes" where you're upside down shooting at monsters trying to drag you out of airlocks, hitting nonsensical tiny targets to close airlocks, or flying through space dodging debris. All of those parts can suck a bag of dicks. Easily responsible for 95% of my deaths.

In The Last of Us in the Winter section, you fight some unarmed guys in a lodge who make air pistol movements even though they don't have guns. David shows up out of nowhere to choke you out, but the choke is actually physically impossible and anyone even remotely familiar with submissions would know this. There's also a weird glitch where the game crashes shortly after that. Still one of my favorite games though, and widely recognized as being one of the best ever.

Cant believe no one has mentioned this so far but but Bat Tanks in Arkham Knight. **gags**

Cant believe no one has mentioned this so far but but Bat Tanks in Arkham Knight. **gags**

Yup. That stupid Bat Tank made me stop playing that game. The handling was absurdly nimble for such a massive vehicle, but only because if they hadn't, the thing would be unusable. You're also Batman, so you never "kill" anyone, but it becomes particularly hard to buy that crushing someone with your tank just knocks them out. The real kicker is that it's just quicker, easier, and much, much cooler, to just swoop around the city using your cape.

Then the game goes and FORCES you to use it during certain missions. Batman is meant to be stealthy. There is nothing stealthy about driving a tank around on a fucking roof.

Back