Rewatch Back when things meant more

shields is criminally underrated these days. he was definitely a legit challenger for gsp (not another dan hardy level guy, no disrespect). his run up to the title shot was great. sadly, he kinda lost a step after that. tbf, it usually happens to people who have been fighting a long time on a win streak, then lose their legacy capstone fight. they just lose the will to compete, because they know they’ll never be the best.

Honestly, I think we were just younger back then. Give it a few years people will be nostalgic about the Conor-era. Hell, when I started watching newbies used to be called "TUF-noobs". Now TUF is ancient.

With UFC 300 coming up , i just wanted to remind us older fans or even show some of the newer fans on here...a time when this MMA thing use to mean more then it does today .. this was one of best lead ups to a fight i can remember... All the episodes but this first one was really good.

Teaser promo( i still get goosebumps)

Things sure have changed,..

This truly was AS REAL AS IT GETS

zoomers just know shields as a neo-nazi, let that sink in....

Neither would I. He certainly had a few snoozers during his reign as champion though.
batman of mma, might of not been the most physically gifted like romero or jones. and he might not be as creative as anderson, fedor and DJ. but he was all textbook, he could beat any WW ever with prep, 9/10 times. even ppl like Usman or Leon, who might have physical upperhands over him with reach.

Last edited:
GSP had so much respect for Shields' ground game, good chin, and heavy hands. He fought intelligently as usual, but it ended up being one of his most tepid performances due to being extremely cautious in that fight. I wanted to see GSP break Shields down, like so many other challengers, but he minimized all risk-taking in the engagements from what I remember.

I still never got the whole thing about Jake going to 170, guess the division really was cleared at that time. I thought he matched up much better against Andy than he did GSP, would’ve much rather seen that fight at the time.

Nah it means the same. We are just older and our enthusiasm changes. It can never be as new and fresh to us as I was then. That's ok.

Back