Back packs vs Duffel Bags

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by phillyman, Jan 21, 2015.

1. phillyman

phillyman White Belt

Hey just wondering what most of you prefer Duffel bags or backpacks? I have been buying backpacks(store brand like Dickies tec etc) and they don't seem to last long. I figure its easier to carry and throw over my shoulder. Most of the time I just have a bjj gear(gi cup etc etc) I might add some gloves to the mix. Im starting to wonder if i should just get a smaller duffel bag. What do most of you carry?
    Ps There is no place to park my car cheaply where i work so I'm on public transportation with the bag.

2. TheMood

TheMood Green Belt

I just use a Nike gym bag that I have had for years and it holds everything fine. Typically I have a gi, rash guard, belt, cup, gloves, knee pads/braces, ear guards, and water. It is a medium sized duffel bag. Pretty sure I got it at an outlet or on sale for around around $25.

3. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

I use both. I like the convenience of the backpack and use it when i bike to the gym. My duffel bag holds more though and has more compartments so I like it for that reason. If I was public transiting (which I do sometimes) I would definitely stick to a backpack.

I recommend checking out Datsusara. Awesome company that makes gear bags and offers great customer service. My duffel is a Datsusara and I love it. http://www.dsgear.com/

4. Deathstriker

Deathstriker I eat Simba and wear his skin

Backpack, ogio endurance 9.0. Distributes weight evenly.

5. blink_man182

blink_man182 Black Belt

My Datsusara Battlepack core as held up like a champ through the rigors of the great white north so far!

6. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Duffle bag are good to go from the car to the gym but suck if you have to carry them for any real distance.

I use a datsasura battlepack pro and I really like it but theres a few features I would ditch if I was designing it.

7. flowers tiger

flowers tiger Green Belt

backpacks feel way better but can't fit as many things

i use a duffle bag
    with headgear, cup, gloves, shoes, hand wraps, jump rope, two 3lb weights, shorts and shirt, and it can barley zip closed !!!

and i have no car so i bump into everyone with my smelly bag on the bus

8. Gattopardo

Gattopardo White Belt

Jaco Convertible: backpack that turns into a duffle. I love mine; it holds a ton as a backpack and nearly doubles in size when it turns into a duffle.

9. phillyman

phillyman White Belt

Thanks for the replies I went with the Jaco 2.0. Hopefully it will last a lot longer than the store brands I have had.

One question for the people with the Datsusara bag. Does your bag collect a lot of lint? I brought a BadBoy backpack once made out of gi material and it was a lint magnet.

http://fighterxfashion.com/bad-boy-gi-backpack-2/

10. Deathstriker

No lint for me.

11. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

I have 2 of the biggest Datsusara bags.

Had one of them for 4 odd years now. It's beaten up with holes everywhere but it still does the job transporting my gear. I have lost like coins from holes in some pockets though haha.

In conclusion, go Datsusara, you won't go wrong. Also, Chris is a good dude.

PS. I'm not getting paid for this message

12. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

Datsusara really should consider making a duffel/backpack combo like this one:
    http://www.revgear.com/product/transformer-duffel-bag/brands-revgear-gym-bags

13. Deathstriker

14. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

I had a Clinghgear duffel bag I got on the cheap from mmahq.

I got what I paid for. It fell apart within a month and I was using it as a second bag (so a change of clothes for lunch time workouts. Real cool too with one of the end pockets being a bag for "dirties". But it pretty much split at every seam

15. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Orange Belt

I don't like backpacks for this kind of stuff. Having my back covered when I'm going in and out of the gym makes me needlessly hot and sweaty.

16. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

When I used to carry all my gear, I used a large duffel bag. Nowadays I leave my gear at the gym (paid storage) and just carry my shorts, rashguard, hoodie. So the backpack is enough.

I do find that if I carry alot of weight (shoes, lifting belt, 2l water + the stuff mentioned above) obviously the backpack wears out faster than the duffel bag. Also, I happen to be using a cheap $12 Tracker backpack so that's probably also why its rips easier.

17. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

I've found that convertibles usually end up sucking as a backpack, duffel, or both. I currently have a Twins convertible bag, and while it is a pretty good backback, it kinda sucks as a duffel and I don't ever use it as such. Personally I like having a dedicated duffel (My Datsusara) when I need it, and a separate backpack for when I need that (days I bike to the gym).

But who knows, maybe Datsusara could design a really nice functional controvertible bag (and maybe they have reasons for not having done it yet). For now, I'm happy having two separate bags.

18. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Purple Belt

If Datsusara makes a duffel/backpack, I would definitely get it. They can really just put backpack straps on the bottom of their Gear Bag Pro.

I really like the Revgear duffel/backpack a lot too. I mostly use it like a backpack. http://www.revgear.com/product/transformer-duffel-bag/brands-revgear-gym-bags

19. okiwen

okiwen White Belt

Really like the Datsusara. That said, I offered some suggestions that I hope Chris takes to heart. I'm a thoughtful guy, after all. I'd use another with the changes.

20. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

if you can fit all your stuff in a backpack, go for it. its way more comfortable, and convenient on a bus.

hard to fit shin pads, 2 sets of gloves, headgear into a backpack for me, so I gotta go with duffle bag. its a bitch to carry sometimes lol