Back packs vs Duffel Bags

phillyman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey just wondering what most of you prefer Duffel bags or backpacks? I have been buying backpacks(store brand like Dickies tec etc) and they don't seem to last long. I figure its easier to carry and throw over my shoulder. Most of the time I just have a bjj gear(gi cup etc etc) I might add some gloves to the mix. Im starting to wonder if i should just get a smaller duffel bag. What do most of you carry?
Ps There is no place to park my car cheaply where i work so I'm on public transportation with the bag.

I just use a Nike gym bag that I have had for years and it holds everything fine. Typically I have a gi, rash guard, belt, cup, gloves, knee pads/braces, ear guards, and water. It is a medium sized duffel bag. Pretty sure I got it at an outlet or on sale for around around $25.

I use both. I like the convenience of the backpack and use it when i bike to the gym. My duffel bag holds more though and has more compartments so I like it for that reason. If I was public transiting (which I do sometimes) I would definitely stick to a backpack.

I recommend checking out Datsusara. Awesome company that makes gear bags and offers great customer service. My duffel is a Datsusara and I love it. http://www.dsgear.com/

Backpack, ogio endurance 9.0. Distributes weight evenly.

My Datsusara Battlepack core as held up like a champ through the rigors of the great white north so far!

Duffle bag are good to go from the car to the gym but suck if you have to carry them for any real distance.

I use a datsasura battlepack pro and I really like it but theres a few features I would ditch if I was designing it.

backpacks feel way better but can't fit as many things

i use a duffle bag
with headgear, cup, gloves, shoes, hand wraps, jump rope, two 3lb weights, shorts and shirt, and it can barley zip closed !!!

and i have no car so i bump into everyone with my smelly bag on the bus

Jaco Convertible: backpack that turns into a duffle. I love mine; it holds a ton as a backpack and nearly doubles in size when it turns into a duffle.

Thanks for the replies I went with the Jaco 2.0. Hopefully it will last a lot longer than the store brands I have had.

One question for the people with the Datsusara bag. Does your bag collect a lot of lint? I brought a BadBoy backpack once made out of gi material and it was a lint magnet.

http://fighterxfashion.com/bad-boy-gi-backpack-2/

I have 2 of the biggest Datsusara bags.

Had one of them for 4 odd years now. It's beaten up with holes everywhere but it still does the job transporting my gear. I have lost like coins from holes in some pockets though haha.

In conclusion, go Datsusara, you won't go wrong. Also, Chris is a good dude.

PS. I'm not getting paid for this message

I use both. I like the convenience of the backpack and use it when i bike to the gym. My duffel bag holds more though and has more compartments so I like it for that reason. If I was public transiting (which I do sometimes) I would definitely stick to a backpack.

I recommend checking out Datsusara. Awesome company that makes gear bags and offers great customer service. My duffel is a Datsusara and I love it. http://www.dsgear.com/

Datsusara really should consider making a duffel/backpack combo like this one:
http://www.revgear.com/product/transformer-duffel-bag/brands-revgear-gym-bags

I had a Clinghgear duffel bag I got on the cheap from mmahq.

I got what I paid for. It fell apart within a month and I was using it as a second bag (so a change of clothes for lunch time workouts. Real cool too with one of the end pockets being a bag for "dirties". But it pretty much split at every seam

I don't like backpacks for this kind of stuff. Having my back covered when I'm going in and out of the gym makes me needlessly hot and sweaty.

When I used to carry all my gear, I used a large duffel bag. Nowadays I leave my gear at the gym (paid storage) and just carry my shorts, rashguard, hoodie. So the backpack is enough.

I do find that if I carry alot of weight (shoes, lifting belt, 2l water + the stuff mentioned above) obviously the backpack wears out faster than the duffel bag. Also, I happen to be using a cheap $12 Tracker backpack so that's probably also why its rips easier.

Datsusara really should consider making a duffel/backpack combo like this one:
http://www.revgear.com/product/transformer-duffel-bag/brands-revgear-gym-bags

I've found that convertibles usually end up sucking as a backpack, duffel, or both. I currently have a Twins convertible bag, and while it is a pretty good backback, it kinda sucks as a duffel and I don't ever use it as such. Personally I like having a dedicated duffel (My Datsusara) when I need it, and a separate backpack for when I need that (days I bike to the gym).

But who knows, maybe Datsusara could design a really nice functional controvertible bag (and maybe they have reasons for not having done it yet). For now, I'm happy having two separate bags.

I've found that convertibles usually end up sucking as a backpack, duffel, or both. I currently have a Twins convertible bag, and while it is a pretty good backback, it kinda sucks as a duffel and I don't ever use it as such. Personally I like having a dedicated duffel (My Datsusara) when I need it, and a separate backpack for when I need that (days I bike to the gym).

But who knows, maybe Datsusara could design a really nice functional controvertible bag (and maybe they have reasons for not having done it yet). For now, I'm happy having two separate bags.

If Datsusara makes a duffel/backpack, I would definitely get it. They can really just put backpack straps on the bottom of their Gear Bag Pro.

I really like the Revgear duffel/backpack a lot too. I mostly use it like a backpack. http://www.revgear.com/product/transformer-duffel-bag/brands-revgear-gym-bags

Really like the Datsusara. That said, I offered some suggestions that I hope Chris takes to heart. I'm a thoughtful guy, after all. I'd use another with the changes.

if you can fit all your stuff in a backpack, go for it. its way more comfortable, and convenient on a bus.

hard to fit shin pads, 2 sets of gloves, headgear into a backpack for me, so I gotta go with duffle bag. its a bitch to carry sometimes lol

Back