Awesome can opener reverse i learned from Rodrigo Gracie Yesterday

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
we had a seminar with Rodrigo Gracie yesterday and He pulled out this slick can opener counter

I dont have pictures so I will explain this as best as I can. We were using the gi so I dont know how well this works no gi because I havent tried it but Your not gripping anything so it should be the same

ok your opponent is in your gaurd and he reaches both hands up for the can opener. take your left hand and pass it under his right arm and reach over the top of his left arm as far up the tricep as possible.

now take your right hand and place it on his right shoulder near his neck. now unlock your feet, raise your hip and switch to armbar. It is a really natural feeling and If i didnt explain it so you could understand, youll get the drift because it feels natural.

tell me what yall think about it

minimagpro said:
we had a seminar with Rodrigo Gracie yesterday and He pulled out this slick can opener counter

I dont have pictures so I will explain this as best as I can. We were using the gi so I dont know how well this works no gi because I havent tried it but Your not gripping anything so it should be the same

ok your opponent is in your gaurd and he reaches both hands up for the can opener. take your left hand and pass it under his right arm and reach over the top of his left arm as far up the tricep as possible.

now take your right hand and place it on his right shoulder near his neck. now unlock your feet, raise your hip and switch to armbar. It is a really natural feeling and If i didnt explain it so you could understand, youll get the drift because it feels natural.

Well, anyone 'giving' both arms should submitted by arm bar!
Same strategy if someone use a thrusting choke.

remembered this from before, but a nice refresher. will try it when i go back on the mat.

Yeah it can work and I've done it a few times in that situation. But it'll be harder to do against a high ranking guy.

What guys who do the can opener really want to do is open their legs. The second you open your legs to start the armbar, the top guy should thrust his hips forward and posture. This should kill the armbar attempt and open up some possibilities of passing guard. A good guy knows you want the armbar and are simply timing everything so just be careful, I would use your right hand and try to get a good collar grip to help prevent this from happening.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

minimagpro said:

Hey dude. You have an automag or something? A member of AO?

I thought that Rodrigo would put up a descent fight against BJ, but he got destroyed from start to finish. By the 2nd round he was just trying to survive.

Yeah, it works good no-gi. That's how I usually set my armbars without the gi, placing your left arm on the persons left tricep muscle (or right hand on right tricep) makes for a very good grip.

Back