AVENGERS: ENDGAME (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AVENGERS: ENDGAME, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
If Joss would have been given the director chair, what would have been different?

Don't get upset kid. You can still enjoy the Avengers' films even though I think they are overhyped meh fests. GoT is overhyped too but at least it delivers.

Aside from Guardians of the Galaxy cast which I do enjoy, it's just a matchup of dorky and/or terrible characters. Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, Spiderman (current actor mostly), Captain America are shit compared to the original Xmen cast. The Black Panther characters are just meh. Bendidict Cumberbatch is just straight up dorky as the wizard guy. I have no idea what is up with Paul Bettany's character or the Maggie Gyllenhaal look alike who is teamed with him. Scarlett Johansson is fine I guess but we all know her character is pointless. Thanos is a solid antagonist though. Brolin does a good job with him but also, it's from GotG which I already like.

Sorry but these movies to me are just bad characters and bad one liners with action scenes filled with characters I don'r care about. The plot is not even a thing and I wouldn't expect it to be with the mashup formula. XMEN 1 and 2, The Wolverine, and the GotG films are good and much more enjoyable than this crap.

I still bought Endgame on Bluray to watch tonite but it is gonna be meh if it's more of IW. At least I have a legit home theater to enjoy the action scenes on.

The original X-men films helped create a kind of baseline for superhero cinema its true but in terms of a wider cast of characters lets be honest they were pretty bland weren't they? it was basiscally Jackman, Stewart and McKellan with the rest of the cast being largely unmemorable.

If Joss would have been given the director chair, what would have been different?

The entire style of the movie. Look at the tone for the first two Avengers movies vs the last two. The Russos grounded everything and made it way better.

The entire style of the movie. Look at the tone for the first two Avengers movies vs the last two. The Russos grounded everything and made it way better.

We knew that from their cap films but honestly I think they were funnier and more characterful than Joss as well, Ultron felt like it was trying too hard a lot of the time for me where as those elements of Infinity War and End Game were much more effortless,

I mean these are guys who'se original background was comedy writing and directing Welcome to Collingwood(very underrated IMHO) and Arrested Development/Community on TV.

Watched this again last night. what a perfect ending.
I watched it again yesterday for my second viewing.

Still loved it. Paid attention more to the details than the flash this time. Just a couple minor comments/nitpicks/questions...

Stones became too grabby.

- If even the Collector was weary of holding a Stone in his bare hand, in earlier movies, they could have easily kept that level of power threat in this movie. That said you could argue Hulk is strong enough to hold a Stone and that the Soul Stone submits itself or allows for one who has made the ultimate sacrifice to hold it. They also should not have explained it as Thor being destroyed by a Stone (and thus Hulk) and instead should have merely focused on his mental state. Using the Stones to warp reality at that level requires immense mental focus to avoid unintended consequences. Fat Thor may have returned kegs of Mead instead of the missing heroes.

Also

Cap and Peggy

- I was so happy for Cap in the first run thru getting his dance and life with Peggy that I did not want to be critical. I still do not want to be critical but here I go anyway. Good god the paradoxes and challenges that would have created. I cannot even begin to list all the issues so there is no point. Instead I have to simply accept it as Cap fan service of the highest order and not think about it too much.

I watched it again yesterday for my second viewing.

Still loved it. Paid attention more to the details than the flash this time. Just a couple minor comments/nitpicks/questions...

Stones became too grabby.

- If even the Collector was weary of holding a Stone in his bare hand, in earlier movies, they could have easily kept that level of power threat in this movie. That said you could argue Hulk is strong enough to hold a Stone and that the Soul Stone submits itself or allows for one who has made the ultimate sacrifice to hold it. They also should not have explained it as Thor being destroyed by a Stone (and thus Hulk) and instead should have merely focused on his mental state. Using the Stones to warp reality at that level requires immense mental focus to avoid unintended consequences. Fat Thor may have returned kegs of Mead instead of the missing heroes.

Also

Cap and Peggy

- I was so happy for Cap in the first run thru getting his dance and life with Peggy that I did not want to be critical. I still do not want to be critical but here I go anyway. Good god the paradoxes and challenges that would have created. I cannot even begin to list all the issues so there is no point. Instead I have to simply accept it as Cap fan service of the highest order and not think about it too much.

My girlfriend has so many issues with the Cap ending. Not only does it mess up the Agent Carter ending, but the line "she's gone gone and the others are only kind of gone" is right there in the movie. lol

My girlfriend has so many issues with the Cap ending. Not only does it mess up the Agent Carter ending, but the line "she's gone gone and the others are only kind of gone" is right there in the movie. lol

Cap deserved to finish his dance goddammit...

tumblr_pdfcuw5lME1r6ah4po1_400.gif

He deserves to finish...

262feb598225016535efe7d789e98018.jpg

We knew that from their cap films but honestly I think they were funnier and more characterful than Joss as well, Ultron felt like it was trying too hard a lot of the time for me where as those elements of Infinity War and End Game were much more effortless,

I mean these are guys who'se original background was comedy writing and directing Welcome to Collingwood(very underrated IMHO) and Arrested Development/Community on TV.

I rewatched the original Avengers recently and, while it’s certainly still entertaining, it was quite striking how much better Infinity War and Endgame are.

I rewatched the original Avengers recently and, while it’s certainly still entertaining, it was quite striking how much better Infinity War and Endgame are.

Yeah the Russo's built on the tone that they set with Winter Soldier and Civil War then made Thanos the "Hero" for IW and made Endgame a redemption piece , overall they told a better Avengers Saga.

Yeah the Russo's built on the tone that they set with Winter Soldier and Civil War then made Thanos the "Hero" for IW and made Endgame a redemption piece , overall they told a better Avengers Saga.

Hell yeah.

I think one could definitely argue that the four MCU films they directed are on the list of top 5 MCU films. I’d say add Guardians in there with them and Iron Man at the number 6 slot and that’s pretty much where I stand.

Cap deserved to finish his dance goddammit...

tumblr_pdfcuw5lME1r6ah4po1_400.gif

He deserves to finish...

Hey, I don't have a problem with it. If I had the choice between Hayley, well anybody else besides maybe Scarlett, I'd choose her, too.

While watching for the first time, I noticed the high amount of "butt shots" in the first half of Endgame.

I thought to myself "is this the Russos taking a jab at Joss?"

Then, during Cap's comment that he has "America's ass" I asumed that was the punchline.

We're they trolling Joss with all the ass shots?

I actually found myself getting more burnt out on the MCU around that time personally, the original Ironman had a terrific opening to it but after that I did feel the whole thing was a bit faddish, fun enough but going over the same ground a lot without really producing classic cinema.

2013 was a little bit iffy but I think Ironman 3 did hint at Marvel loosening up and taking more risks and I really like the middle section of that film with the kid then 2014 you saw a clear improvement with Winter Solider and Guardians taking things to a higher level. Ultron felt like a bit of a thrownback but generally the best of the MCU has been from 2014 onwards IMHO.

The latter MCU does have films in it of real quality that take significant risks rather than just playing things safe.

Hey, I don't have a problem with it. If I had the choice between Hayley, well anybody else besides maybe Scarlett, I'd choose her, too.

Lord have mercy on my soul

Timeline, schmimeline,

You give me a chance at this

and I am going to choose to finish that dance too.

And I am not even a boob man, ... that is America's ass. No the World's ass!

And holy side boob batman!

Timeline, schmimeline,

You give me a chance at this

and I am going to choose to finish that dance too.

And I am not even a boob man, ... that is America's ass. No the World's ass!

And holy side boob batman!
Lawdy lawd lawd

Back