Movies AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: January 7, 2020

James Cameron Unveils Gorgeous Concept Art from AVATAR Sequels

ENp7lbGUUAAfbU7

ENp7lbHVUAESN8v

ENp7lbGUYAISDl2

ENp7lbGUYAEeIvv

It looks like a Ubisoft game

I don't understand Cameron filming the sequels at the same time, but then releasing them so far down the road, particularly since these films are based on their visuals. Technology changes so frequently i don't see how the later episodes won't seem dated.

I don't understand Cameron filming the sequels at the same time, but then releasing them so far down the road, particularly since these films are based on their visuals. Technology changes so frequently i don't see how the later episodes won't seem dated.

The original Avatar is now over a decade old and still one of the most gorgeous films to ever grace the silver screen.

My question is if they're going to 'bring back' 3D movies as a trend.

Avatar in 3D was such a success it made most movies for the next three or four years be released in 3D, even though they had no business being 3D, like Clash of the Titans. It was filmed in 2D, and converted into 3D in post-production and its action scenes were blurry messes.

In fact, the ONLY decent 3D movies I saw were Prometheus, Dredd, Star Wars Ep7, and Gravity. Everything else was trash that used 3D in marketing to sell tickets that cost an extra $3.

It's not like the performance capture data goes bad. My guess is it's probably way cheaper to film all the actors all at once and then have the digital artists working on a rolling timeline. This frees up the actors to do other stuff without the studio having to worry about schedules matching up every year for four years.

In fact, the ONLY decent 3D movies I saw were Prometheus, Dredd, Star Wars Ep7, and Gravity. Everything else was trash that used 3D in marketing to sell tickets that cost an extra $3.
Ang Lee is always a good indication of exhilarating 3D; surprisingly so is HARRY POTTER's David Yates. FANTASTIC BEASTS, especially the last one, comes alive in 3D. They were intended to showcase different cities with each iteration, and 3D makes it feel very much like you're there amongst the architecture. ROGUE ONE, LAST JEDI, SOLO are great in 3D; Ron Howard's HEART OF THE SEA's depiction of Moby Dick is awesome.

A lot of the Marvel films have excellent 3D, DR. STRANGE being near the top of that list, ANT-MAN too.

The original Avatar is now over a decade old and still one of the most gorgeous films to ever grace the silver screen.

My question is if they're going to 'bring back' 3D movies as a trend.

Avatar in 3D was such a success it made most movies for the next three or four years be released in 3D, even though they had no business being 3D, like Clash of the Titans. It was filmed in 2D, and converted into 3D in post-production and its action scenes were blurry messes.

That's a good point, but with 4 sequels planned i'm wondering if the visuals alone will keep audiences coming back, unless the script gets better. Then again, Cameron makes billions of dollars, so i guess he'd know better than i would.

I haven't watched a 3d movie since i was a kid. Just never really got excited for one. Seems like there's a couple of jump scares, a flock of birds flying at you, and then that's it.

So what's the over/under on how many more people are gonna get depressed and commit suicide because Pandora is not a real place so they can't live there...?

That's a good point, but with 4 sequels planned i'm wondering if the visuals alone will keep audiences coming back, unless the script gets better. Then again, Cameron makes billions of dollars, so i guess he'd know better than i would.

I think Cameron's seriously overestimating a lot of things here. He's pretty much the king of making sequels that trump the originals....but can he seriously do that 4 more times with the same material? Can he trump HIMSELF 4 more times in a row? Especially when he's filming these all at the same time? I just don't see it happening.

Avatar imo is the worst movie he's ever made. And NOBODY seems to want 4 more of these things. The fact that he doesn't seem to even hear that, makes me question his judgement.

That being said, Cameron is my favorite director of all time, and I clearly remember hearing about the Titanic concept before it came out, and thinking how that was the worst film idea I'd ever heard of. And that movie blew my mind when I saw it in the theater. So I guess we'll see.

But I'm betting against him on these Avatar sequels.

Edit:

and I'm calling it now. He'll change the story up away from Ferngully / Dances With Wolves and lean heavily towards global warming/climate change for these ones. Because that's what he's about these days. And I get that. I think we really NEED films like that these days! But I don't think his message, whatever it will be, will be felt that much when it's delivered by big blue cartoon space cats. Nobody cares about those cartoon space cats. We cared about Kyle Reese, John Connor, Jack Dawson, Sarah, Ripley, etc. Nobody cares about the Avatar characters. And that's gonna be a problem, longterm, over the course of 4 movies....unless they do some SERIOUS character building in this next one.

Last edited:
I thought the first one looked great visually. But that's it.

Oh, and Stephen lang was great in it. Other than that... meh.

I just wanna know if Kate Winslet gets nude in this movie.

He'll change the story up away from Ferngully / Dances With Wolves and lean heavily towards global warming/climate change for these ones. Because that's what he's about these days. And I get that. I think we really NEED films like that these days! But I don't think his message, whatever it will be, will be felt that much when it's delivered by big blue cartoon space cats. Nobody cares about those cartoon space cats. We cared about Kyle Reese, John Connor, Jack Dawson, Sarah, Ripley, etc. Nobody cares about the Avatar characters. And that's gonna be a problem, longterm, over the course of 4 movies....unless they do some SERIOUS character building in this next one.
<{hughesimpress}>

I don't even get the first sentence...

I don't know about any message. What AVATAR is is a thrill ride. All this talk of character development and whatever seems like you're stacking odds against yourself.

407d32bf-9ebc-45fc-94b9-a965f3a8786e_text_hi.gif

I think Cameron's seriously overestimating a lot of things here. He's pretty much the king of making sequels that trump the originals....but can he seriously do that 4 more times with the same material? Can he trump HIMSELF 4 more times in a row? Especially when he's filming these all at the same time? I just don't see it happening.

Avatar imo is the worst movie he's ever made. And NOBODY seems to want 4 more of these things. The fact that he doesn't seem to even hear that, makes me question his judgement.

That being said, Cameron is my favorite director of all time, and I clearly remember hearing about the Titanic concept before it came out, and thinking how that was the worst film idea I'd ever heard of. And that movie blew my mind when I saw it in the theater. So I guess we'll see.

But I'm betting against him on these Avatar sequels.

Edit:

and I'm calling it now. He'll change the story up away from Ferngully / Dances With Wolves and lean heavily towards global warming/climate change for these ones. Because that's what he's about these days. And I get that. I think we really NEED films like that these days! But I don't think his message, whatever it will be, will be felt that much when it's delivered by big blue cartoon space cats. Nobody cares about those cartoon space cats. We cared about Kyle Reese, John Connor, Jack Dawson, Sarah, Ripley, etc. Nobody cares about the Avatar characters. And that's gonna be a problem, longterm, over the course of 4 movies....unless they do some SERIOUS character building in this next one.

Excellent points, i agree. Seems bizarre that he would wait so long to make a sequel to now the second biggest movie of all time, and then deliver 4 of them. When i hear a movie is delayed repeatedly, i think problems, and these have been pushed back a few times. Wonder if the fourth sequel will even make it to the theater? Won't be surprised if this franchise peters out.

Back