Autism Benefit -- Kid's Tournament -- Memphis 01/26/13

Hillary

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, coming here to share this for all the parents on the board. This is a gym that I've been training with since white belt. They put on periodic kids tournaments that are kept low-cost and very "loose" bracketing (i.e. if your kid loses first round, we'll round up some more just-for-fun matches for them) because mid-south parents don't tend to have the resources that big city Jiu Jitsu parents have access to. I always tend to help out training/herding refs, but this one I especially want a big turnout for. All profits go to the Angel Program.

http://theangelprogram.com/

The ANGEL Program is specifically designed to offer children with autism year round, intensive instruction using innovative teaching techniques. Our mission is to provide the highest-quality program based upon the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). Because each child is unique, every student's program is different. We are dedicated to helping children achieve their fullest potential.

If you're not able to go, please share photo on facebook or spread the word. Pretty please.

406610_513660711989098_2067696348_n.jpg

That's awesome, I work as a Rehab worker in a residential program for kids with autism, glad to see the bjj community supporting another great cause.

I'll pass it along to the instructors of our kids classes, but why no adult divisions? My teammates and I would love a competition where the entry fee goes to a good cause.

I'll pass it along to the instructors of our kids classes, but why no adult divisions? My teammates and I would love a competition where the entry fee goes to a good cause.

The tournaments are run inside the gym, and only about three areas are available. It's much easier to keep the kiddos within the area and it keeps the tournament to only a few hours long. I'm also not comfortable enough with the referees doing adults with full IBJJF rules until they get a bit more individual training from me. Currently we're doing IBJJF rules minus advantages for the kids, with the biggest priority being kid safety (ie I give zero shits if your kid is double jointed, I'm stopping this armbar). That makes it fairly easy for new refs.

There will be adult and kids tournament again, just not this time around. Thank you for the support!

The tournaments are run inside the gym, and only about three areas are available. It's much easier to keep the kiddos within the area and it keeps the tournament to only a few hours long. I'm also not comfortable enough with the referees doing adults with full IBJJF rules until they get a bit more individual training from me. Currently we're doing IBJJF rules minus advantages for the kids, with the biggest priority being kid safety (ie I give zero shits if your kid is double jointed, I'm stopping this armbar). That makes it fairly easy for new refs.

There will be adult and kids tournament again, just not this time around. Thank you for the support!

That makes sense. Like I said, I'll pass it along but only a few of our kids compete. Please keep me in the loop if they do one that includes adults, as Memphis & Nashville are very convenient tournament destinations for us.

Hillary if you ever have a other good charity cause can you email me so I can mention it on my podcast, OpenMatRadio? We ways try to spread the word for good causes. It's too late to get this out in the podcast but we'll throw it up on our social media.

Paul
[email protected]

Hillary if you ever have a other good charity cause can you email me so I can mention it on my podcast, OpenMatRadio? We ways try to spread the word for good causes. It's too late to get this out in the podcast but we'll throw it up on our social media.

Paul
[email protected]

Thanks! I'm a sucker for these things so I'll definitely be hitting you up in the future.

wish we could have that kind of program in my country too.

Good job Hillary!

Hillary is such a kind hearted person. She's great for the art.

Hillary is such a kind hearted person.

Very sweet of you to say albeit not true. I have my issues with intolerance and being an asshole--usually aimed toward those who don't believe in science/literal religious followers/medical conspiracists--that I for sure need to work on.

I do love kids though and a whole freaking lot. Autism is in my family as well as neuroscience being just an absolute love of mine, so this is definitely a cause that hits home. Thank you both for bumping the thread. If anyone is the in midsouth area and can toss this up on facebook I'll owe you a free hug.

Hillary I have project that might or might not interest you. Can I have your contact information to run it by you?
Thanks,

Paul
[email protected]

Back