Aussie boxer Danny Green calls out Lesnar

eko

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Danny Green chasing a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar

By Nick Walshaw
July 21, 2010

Danny Green wants to take down the baddest man on the planet, Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder Brock Lesnar - and do it bare-knuckled.

Green, who on Wednesday night defends his IBO cruiserweight title against fellow Australian Paul Briggs, is trying to organise a fight with Lesnar, the American bad boy who weighs 120kg, wears XXXXL gloves and benches 220kg.

Green said the bout, which would be a stand-up confrontation, could be held inside an octagon cage as early as next February when the UFC returns to Acer Arena, Sydney.

"Would I like to fight Brock Lesnar? Absolutely," Green said after Tuesday's weigh-in.

"Obviously my only focus right now is Paul Briggs, but I'm professional enough to also have one eye on the future, and to fight the baddest man on the planet, yeah, that excites me.

"It would have to be a stand-up fight. I know my limitations and there's no way I could compete with Lesnar on the ground. The bloke outweighs me by plenty and was a champion college wrestler. But to stand inside a steel cage and be able to use fists and elbows, I'd even fight bare-knuckle if that's what it takes to get him Down Under and inside a steel cage."

Having needed just 11 rounds to destroy his past four opponents, including legendary American Roy Jones Jr, Green's reputation as Australia's hardest puncher will be further cemented if he can score another convincing win against Briggs at Challenge Stadium.

And while Green conceded a fight with Lesnar, who stands 6cm taller and outweighs him by almost 40kg, would be "like David versus Goliath", he said the bout would be a popular one among Australian sports fans.

While Green remains wary of Briggs, it is understood his manager Justin Manolikos has already drawn up a hit list of possible international rivals, including Lesnar, American heavyweight James Toney and New Zealand warrior Shane Cameron - the latter pushing to fight Green before Christmas on the advice of Australian boxing legend Barry Michael.

Michael, who has been working with Cameron, On Tuesday confirmed he was responsible for his sudden step down in weight to fight Australian cruiserweight champion Daniel Ammann on Wednesday night's undercard.

"It was my idea because I think Shane can really challenge Green at cruiserweight - make it a huge Trans-Tasman battle," Michael said

Green wants UFC's Lesnar - Boxing - Fox Sports

a standup fight with lesnar? yeah.....keep dreaming danny :eek:

The guy is just looking for publicity.

EDIT: That guy is fighting in a few hours, he should be focusing on his fight not a freak show with Brock Lesnar

Why is it the aussie boxers act like idiots. Mundine and Green.

Danny is full of shit there is o% chance of Lesnar fighting in stand up fight against what has Lesnar got to gain from it. UFC dont fucking need Green the fight sold out in record time last UFC in Sydney. If George gets a title shot they will have to move it to ANZ stadium to fit everyone in.

And anyway Paul Briggs is gonna destroy Green tonight.

No, Paul could not even make weight, he came in 3kg over the agreed limit which shows how serious he is for this one. He has not fought in 3 years and I was unfortunate enough to see his last fight live on the Ndou - Ben Rabah undercard and he looked like absolute shit.

Danny will wear him down and possibly stop him late. Paul hits like a truck but so does Danny and they both have great chins, it should be fireworks for the first few rounds.

I hope Paul surprises me because he deserves it but realistically he will most likely struggle. He should have at least taken a tune up.

Rashad Evans should call out Klitchko in a grappling match in a boxing ring

The Paul Briggs I know will beat the shit out of Green. Zero chance of the Lesnar fight but Green would KO Lesnar in a boxing match

Last edited:
The guy is just looking for publicity.

EDIT: That guy is fighting in a few hours, he should be focusing on his fight not a freak show with Brock Lesnar

more people are lovin the freakshow then danny green

Lol never ever going to happen, Danny Green just wants attention.

It speaks volumes of Lesnar's striking ability or lack thereof that a LHW Australian boxer would love to take on a man who weighs 100lbs more than him. And Lesnar wouldnt even see the 2nd round.

I think Tony Bonello is more his type of opponent :icon_chee

Aussie fighters have a habit of making ridiculous call outs to get their faces in the paper. First Mundine, now Green.

no need for the Danny Green hate, I don't think he "called out Lesnar"

I believe a reporter asked him about MMA and Lesnar, and he simply answered yes he would like to fight him, in a striking match..

Green is a fighter, what is he going to say, "Na I'm scared of him"

at least he was honest and said he knows his limits and knows he would get destroyed in an MMA match.
Unlike that fuckwit Toney.

i agree that danny probably got asked by a person about lesnar and didnt call him out.
but why would he say "id fight him in a cage, in a stand up fight, down under"
its pretty stupid.

And anyway Paul Briggs is gonna destroy Green tonight.

hi.jpg

Back