Audio books.

GeordiePride

White Belt
Reaction score
I've never listened to a audio book before and was thinking about purchasing a book I've been wanting to read in audio form basically because I can't be bothered to sit up and read when I'm tired.

Have you ever listened to a full book and would you recommend it?

It all depends on the reader. I've listened to audiobooks that were great because the person reading did a great job. Others were hard to follow because the readers were bad. Some books would alternate readers between chapters and stuff like that. They are good to get stuff down while your'e hearing the info. Sometimes you just get distracted and have to listen to a section twice.

Edit: In your case they could be really good to just listen to while you kick back. I would do that a lot.

Last edited:
I'd consider an audio book if Chuck Liddell's book or Big John McCarthy's book was mp3.

I've done it before.
It's cool for road trips.

Listen to the "Clan of the Cave Bear" series.

Listened to a few books turned podcast that were free, you just had to listen to a commercial every 30-45 minutes or so. They're nice to listen to on the commute back and forth to work. Normally listen to music at work, but if it's slow I'll catch a few chapters when my task doesn't need 100% of my attention.

Don't think I could listen in bed though, would probably fall asleep a few minutes in.

Yes, yes, yes.

For some reason audio books have a bit of a bad wrap. When I'm walking, commuting, or otherwise in a situation that I can't actually sit an read, I love listening to audiobooks.

I listen to The Economist bi-monthly. I've listened to (among others) Howard Zinn, Hitchens, Ayn Rand, Sam Harris, Arthur C. Clarke, and a bunch of books on science and philosophy.

It's a great way to multi-task ;)

Rent from your local library. Warning: They are addictive! I started only on long trips. Now, I find myself sitting in my car, trying to find a reason to go for a drive

Once I had a data entry job, and I would listen to books on tape while working, Stephen kings dark tower series was the best

I'm interested in this too just for the convenience of it but from what I've heard audio books are shortened considerably. Basically a summary of the book. Is this true?

I listened to The Grand Design on audiobook. It's a good way to 'read' a book, but certainly one of the big disadvantages is the difference in ease with going back and rereading a part or maybe slowing down the pace to understand something. I guess if you're reading like a novel and not something necessarily heavily thought provoking, than audiobooks are probably great.

I'm interested in this too just for the convenience of it but from what I've heard audio books are shortened considerably. Basically a summary of the book. Is this true?

Nah. Maybe some are but all the ones I listened to were word for word.

I've listened to audiobooks while going to sleep for years, I could listen to the same one for 5 or 6 months and by the end of it I'd have no idea whats going on because I'll have missed key points by falling asleep. I listened to the first chapter of Duma Key for a couple of weeks solid before finally staying awake for the entire chapter. In the end I usually get so lost I abandon it and start another. I just abandoned Robinson Crusoe for 1984. Obviously, I only listen to them because they put me to sleep.

No, it isn't. You can get abridged audio copies of books but from my experience the unabridged versions are much more readily available. And even the abridged versions are much more than just a summary.

So hard to find a good one, it's either awesome book shit narrator or awesome narrator reading a shit book :'(

So hard to find a good one, it's either awesome book shit narrator or awesome narrator reading a shit book :'(

This guy reads Duma Key and did a damn good job, I could listen to him all day.

727d450dcde967ed1306a1ab5ca4652c8fbc15109720d6cd5b8e178f.jpg

From what I gathered the book wasn't great.

I find a good reader can make a lousy book more enjoyable. George Guidall, Roy Dotrice and Paul Michael are excellent at sucking you into a story.

I listen to a lot of audio books, at gym, on subway etc.

I get them through audible.

only pisser is some books are delayed. i.e. Zombie Fall out book 6 is out but not in audio form yet, and I'm really excited about it but have to wait.

Is that the guy that did the song of ice and fire books? i couldn't stand that dude -.-

Ah, I disagree. Some of the voices he did I hated but got used to after a while. But when he was reading the non spoken words or was reading a character with a regular voice, he was great. I do think it would have been better if he would have read everything with his normal voice.

Of all the audiobooks I've listened to, most readers are too monotone or completely over the top with random inflections on words.

Edit: Dotrice's voice for Dolorous Edd was perfect. I wish Edd talked like that in the show.

For me, depends on the reader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back