Attacking from Mount

RickNash

Narratologist
@Green
Reaction score
I find that whenever I transition into mount guys will bring their hands close to their collar and hold them there. I've asked my instructor about solutions to the problem and he suggested moving into a higher mount and getting my knees under their shoulders, pressuring them to open their hands up and leaving their neck exposed. That works well with someone who isn't trying to oompa you off and shrimp their way out. I know that another way to avoid the situation is by getting control of your opponent's arms/hands before or as the transition is made, but I've yet to do that (I usually concentrate more on the actual transition into mount and forget about controlling an arm). Most times if a guy brings his arms in to his collar I just move out into side control because I seem to have better control and submissions from that area.

But I want to submit from mount. It's supposed to be one of the most dominant positions in BJJ, but I don't feel dangerous at all when I'm in mount.

How do you open your opponent's defences up when in mount and find them defending their necks and arms in the way that I've described?

i jump normally move up high to an S-mount, and start attacking the collars from there, or i jump off to knee ride and make em open up with the point of my knee in their solar plexus.

I would love to get an S-mount if I can, but it requires some baiting on my part. I would have to weaken a side and he would have to roll towards it. I doubt there's any way the guys that I roll with would go for that. They literally sit flat on their backs and protect their neck with their arm/hands, keeping everything tight. I suppose the logical step is to start fishing for arms and digging under their arms/elbows to try and loosen an arm up to attack, but it's difficult and requires quite a bit of strength.

I would love to get an S-mount if I can, but it requires some baiting on my part. I would have to weaken a side and he would have to roll towards it. I doubt there's any way the guys that I roll with would go for that. They literally sit flat on their backs and protect their neck with their arm/hands, keeping everything tight. I suppose the logical step is to start fishing for arms and digging under their arms/elbows to try and loosen an arm up to attack, but it's difficult and requires quite a bit of strength.

No. You attack the neck, with a collar choke.

That gets their arms up, to defend. Then you suck up that new space by moving up and into an S-Mount.

Nothing so required a feat of strength in BJJ.

you can also push your hand in under their gi below where they are defending their neck and worm it it inside the gi until you're at their neck

One thing about mount that isn't emphasized enough is patience. Realize that when you're mounted on your opponent you're winning. The onus is on him to escape.

If you're having trouble finishing from mount then it's because you're losing mount at some point prior to being able to finish. So work on maintaining mount for as long as necessary in order to submit your opponent. If you have a great mount maintenance then your opponent will have to eventually move to get out of mount and that's when they open up and you work for the submission.

When they're in their preferred defensive position is no time to attack, that is a time to maintain.

No. You attack the neck, with a collar choke.

That gets their arms up, to defend. Then you suck up that new space by moving up and into an S-Mount.

Nothing so required a feat of strength in BJJ.

I explained that the neck isn't available for me to attack. To defend in mount and avoid any attacks on the neck/arms, guys will grab both collars with both of their hands and keep their arms/elbows in tight. To get them out of that position, I was advised to move up and have a higher mount, driving my knees below their elbows and making it uncomfortable for them. That works fine on an opponent that doesn't move, but, in most cases, people move around.

The last part of your post is why I'm here. Without using muscle and straining myself, I cannot get my opponents to give up this position. Baiting may or may not work.

One thing about mount that isn't emphasized enough is patience. Realize that when you're mounted on your opponent you're winning. The onus is on him to escape.

If you're having trouble finishing from mount then it's because you're losing mount at some point prior to being able to finish. So work on maintaining mount for as long as necessary in order to submit your opponent. If you have a great mount maintenance then your opponent will have to eventually move to get out of mount and that's when they open up and you work for the submission.

When they're in their preferred defensive position is no time to attack, that is a time to maintain.

I'd love to be able to do that, but I'm a white belt in a class that's mostly white belts, with a few blues, too. A lot of people hate the idea of a guy dominating in one position for a very long time. I'm fine with it personally because, as you said, it's up to him to work his way out. I guess I'll just hold the position and try to be as active as I can.

well, all I can say to you is work the collars, they will sometime have to defend and open a little be their arms, or go to a higher mount, place your leg under his shoulder or arm, then you can also work an arm bar... dont be to obvius if you are going for the arm bar, play around with the collars to try to make them make a mistake... And most and most important thing, DO NOT lose the mount, if you get sweep, ok no problem, but jumping to side control is not the best solution, even if it feels right now, ITS not, remember...you are not competing at class, you are there to learn...

well, all I can say to you is work the collars, they will sometime have to defend and open a little be their arms, or go to a higher mount, place your leg under his shoulder or arm, then you can also work an arm bar... dont be to obvius if you are going for the arm bar, play around with the collars to try to make them make a mistake... And most and most important thing, DO NOT lose the mount, if you get sweep, ok no problem, but jumping to side control is not the best solution, even if it feels right now, ITS not, remember...you are not competing at class, you are there to learn...

Yeah, that's what I'm taking from this thread. Whenever I get mount from now on I'm not giving up the position, no matter how frustrating it becomes. I'm in the dominant position and the person on the bottom should be working to defend themselves. Hell, if it was a street fight they'd be KOed, so it's in their interest to learn how to work out of the position.

I will be working on reaching in for collars, behind the collar, and baiting for the S-Mount. Thanks for the help guys.

push down gently on their throat. read, don't squeeze their throat for a rape choke.

if you just push down with a little bit of force gravity does the rest. that shit sucks, they want you off, they extend arms.

if you're rolling with white belts, just fake like you're going for an americana on one arm, then when they turn to that side to defend you go to s-mount and armbar the other arm. it works almost every time.

push down gently on their throat. read, don't squeeze their throat for a rape choke.

if you just push down with a little bit of force gravity does the rest. that shit sucks, they want you off, they extend arms.

:icon_neut

are you fkn kidding me?

it won't work on anyone that is any good no, its n00b technique and most skiledl guys i know would take it personally if you tried that stupid shit

if someone was just going to trex their arms and not work to escape I'd consider that stalling. in my book, theyre free game.

Back