ATT Kid McCoy

Nikos20

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I saw some of your posts from some old threads, you seem like a very knowledgeable poster.

Personally I have never done a martial art or combat sport, but have always had interest in boxing as a casual spectator, and now I am a huge MMA fan.

I was wondering, do you think Boxing is the best base for MMA if lets say an elite boxer wanted to give MMA a try and train 1-2 years and then compete? Lets say the money in MMA was equal to boxing and elite caliber boxers had incentive to try MMA. Do you think that is automatically the best base for MMA? Or all disciplines pretty much equal if one has some knowledge of each, with one art as their base?

It almost seems to me in some of your old posts that any elite boxer would be a clear favorite against any MMA fighter if they just became aware of takedowns and different MMA type arsenal of attacks (not boxing based). Just a hunch I got. Could be 100% wrong.

What is your opinion on MMA fighters in general? Would they have the advantage over elite boxers under MMA rules?

Some of my favorite fighters are GSP, Machida, Silva, and BJ Penn. They seem well rounded to me. Would they get knocked out before attempting a takedown against any elite boxer at their respective weight?

Any elaborate opinion or essay on this would be great :icon_chee

You must be 13 years old? Can a borrow your tapout t-shirt? That would be sooooo rock n' roll.

I saw some of your posts from some old threads, you seem like a very knowledgeable poster.

There's a difference between seeing someone's postings and reading them.
From what I gather, you haven't read his posts.

wasnt there a famous boxer (think i remember) called kid mc coy who topped himself?

All this flaming seems unwarranted.

Its just a question, everyone bitching may as well be posting, "TTT."

TS, maybe try a PM next time.

Yeah, he didn't really say anything to bold or offensive. I get the impression that at least
a little bit of hazing goes on with new people on the boxing board, just to see if people are worth troubling with, or just trying to start trouble.

Its just a question, everyone bitching may as well be posting, "TTT."

TS, maybe try a PM next time.

I see what you're saying. But still, have you ever read a Kid McCoy post and walked away with the notions OP seems to have?

Actually I been reading 200-300 posts of his in the last two days.

I gathered from him and agree that Boxers have WAY MORE skills with their hands then the best striking MMA fighters could dream of. And I gathered from him that Grapplers have an advantage over pure strikers (but would they have an edge if a boxer was AWARE of how to defend and adjust some of their boxing to counter this).

I just wanted to know more specifically how easy it might be for a boxer to just learn a sprawl in 6 months etc.... He never quite went into depth on that in many of his MMA vs Boxing posts.

BTW I don't do either -- I am just a fan of combat sports in general.... (well I am becoming a bigger fan by the day, thanks to the Internet, Forums etc...).

Not trying to flame or be rude, or repetitious....I acutally PMED him this message first, and later decided to post in the forum....

Sorry if some find this annoying.

I was rude and I'm sorry. However, if you went through 300 of his post or did a search for answers then people are going to think your asking rhetorical questions is all.

Actually I been reading 200-300 posts of his in the last two days.

I gathered from him and agree that Boxers have WAY MORE skills with their hands then the best striking MMA fighters could dream of. And I gathered from him that Grapplers have an advantage over pure strikers (but would they have an edge if a boxer was AWARE of how to defend and adjust some of their boxing to counter this).

I just wanted to know more specifically how easy it might be for a boxer to just learn a sprawl in 6 months etc.... He never quite went into depth on that in many of his MMA vs Boxing posts.

BTW I don't do either -- I am just a fan of combat sports in general.... (well I am becoming a bigger fan by the day, thanks to the Internet, Forums etc...).

Not trying to flame or be rude, or repetitious....I acutally PMED him this message first, and later decided to post in the forum....

Sorry if some find this annoying.

Kid knows his stuff but you might get more feedback if you post your questions in the Stand Up Forum.

Personally I have never done a martial art or combat sport, but have always had interest in boxing as a casual spectator, and now I am a huge MMA fan.

I was wondering, do you think Boxing is the best base for MMA if lets say an elite boxer wanted to give MMA a try and train 1-2 years and then compete? Lets say the money in MMA was equal to boxing and elite caliber boxers had incentive to try MMA. Do you think that is automatically the best base for MMA? Or all disciplines pretty much equal if one has some knowledge of each, with one art as their base?

It almost seems to me in some of your old posts that any elite boxer would be a clear favorite against any MMA fighter if they just became aware of takedowns and different MMA type arsenal of attacks (not boxing based). Just a hunch I got. Could be 100% wrong.

What is your opinion on MMA fighters in general? Would they have the advantage over elite boxers under MMA rules?

Some of my favorite fighters are GSP, Machida, Silva, and BJ Penn. They seem well rounded to me. Would they get knocked out before attempting a takedown against any elite boxer at their respective weight?

Any elaborate opinion or essay on this would be great :icon_chee

Part I

A polite question gets a polite answer.
It

Part II

I think that becoming well rounded (if not great in each range) in punching, kicking, takedowns, ground control and submissions, offensively and defensively, is essential to compete at today

This kid gets this, but I can't get equal length about "El Radar"...from ANYONE!?

The SBC is NOT pleased.

This kid gets this, but I can't get equal length about "El Radar"...from ANYONE!?

The SBC is NOT pleased.

I will PM you about that.
This is hyperbole, philosophy. What you need is REAL research.
If it was a guy I knew well, I'd have given you boatloads already.

Excellent posts Kid as always.

These are for anyone to take a stab at, or whatever.

Do you guys agree that boxing promoters will start/are already imitating MMA's successful marketing techniques more? I always think of MMA (more specifically the UFC) copying boxing's blueprint (with a slight pro-wrestling angle) more often than not, with big-name cards with star power drawing the most money and such. Obviously they are different with respect to the way they structure their titles, which are more organized and clear-cut than the alphabet soup configuration of boxing.

Aside from that, where do you see boxing's next big fanbase coming from? I mean, obviously their fanbase is aging, and kids like me (white, 20 y/o) are either a) casual MMA fans b) hardcore MMA fans, c) not an MMA fan at all, or even more rarely d) Boxing fans or e) Fans of combat sports in general. Do you see boxing promoters trying to win back the young, white male crowd, trying to capitalize off of general fight fans (like the people in this thread) or going after different demographics entirely? I ask this because while boxing is a ton more popular worldwide, the margin with MMA is closer in the US. I'm interested to see if boxing is going to try to remedy that, or take another route.

Second, when do you predict that we'll finally see some decent cross-promotion? Who do you think will be the man/organization to put it together? I really don't want the travesty that is Silva/Jones Jr. to happen, but I could see someone like Gary Shaw getting involved with a high profile cross-promotion.

Back