Atlanta anyone going to Kakuto or New Breed?

jr jr

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thoughts on these two tournaments? They are both this weekend (2/27).

I've done Kakuto before, but not this time. It's a good tournament. No experience with the other one. I might try to get back to Kakuto next time. We'll see if I can stay healthy/motivated/not fat etc.

I'm fat. and Old. I suspect I will need to play adult as masters lightweights are few and far at purple. How big were the divisions when you did Kakuto.

They were small when I went, but that was probably their second event. From what I hear, its gotten much bigger since then. I weighed in at 183, at masters. Ended up with 4 guys in the division, one white belt, 2 blues (including me), and a purple. They did it round robin since it was so small. Not sure if they still do it that way or not. Regardless, it was well organized compared to the other tournaments I've been to and moved pretty quickly.

I ref for Newbreed when they come to Dallas and like the guys that run it. Some of the turnouts are small but if your division is small ask Dave or Rey (head ref) and they will get you extra divisions. Good tourney.

Thanks Nate. Good to know your experience is positive.

JMG- They still do RR if under 5 players. I love this wrestling and judo were always cheap and double elimination. Single eliminations sucks!

I got my 3 matches in, so I was happy. That was only my 2nd comp, so it was good experience. If/when I get back to competing, I'd like to have more, of course.

Did you end up going to either of them? Reviews?

Back