Athletes need to stop lying on their diets

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Uncompaghre, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Uncompaghre

Uncompaghre Yellow Belt

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/10/01/track-star-lolo-jones-eats-9000-calories-to-beef-up-for-bobsledding/

I'm really getting tired of the garbage media puts out about athlete's diets, Lolo jones is not eating 9,000 calories a day. I'm a 250 pound active weightlifter and I can barley get down between 6000 to 6500 calories a day. I know guys that are walking around 270 plus that can't even manage 8,000 calories in a day. If lolo was actually eating and drinking 9k calories a day she would not even have time to train, she would have to eat every 45 minutes in a 16 hour day to manage that.

Also a female body could not even process that kind of calorie intake, she could exercise 24 hours in a day and not even come close to burning even half of what her supposed diet is. The only reason I'm griping is because articles like this mislead teens and people trying bulk up, your body can naturally handle so much even if you are and elite athlete.

Calorie intake need varies from person to person but 9k is the amount of calories that 300 pound roided up pro bodybuilders take.

2. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

It's kind of like self reported training in the bjj section of this site.

For training frequency you list the absolute max amount you've ever done. You normally train 5x a week for 1.5 hours, but one week four years ago you trained 11x and went for a run that weekend. Guess which one gets listed? They'll probably even embellish just a little bit for fun.

I'm sure she tried to eat 9k one day and maybe she made it; Maybe she didn't. She sure as hell isn't going to not tell the world about that amazing day though!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. StupidityKills

StupidityKills Green Belt

4. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Its like Irish storytelling.

Any time you tell a new person the numbers must get bigger.

Did I tell you about my diet? It's OVER 9000!!! (kilocalories)

5. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

I always did wonder how Phelps managed to burn off about 10.000kcal of excercise on a demi-daily basis.

6. Nozza

Nozza Purple Belt

7. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

^there you go - how quickly urban legends lead to truthiness

8. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

Then there is the other side with Herschel Walker claiming all he eats is a bowl of soup and a salad every day. Of course, he also has dissociative identity disorder, so maybe one of his other personalities is eating the other meals in the day.

9. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

One Salad/Soup personality meet two pounds of steak per day personality.

10. rorydaboss

rorydaboss Brown Belt

Does he actually have disassociative identity disorder? All I know is when I heard that he had a light soup and salad and that was it for the day I knew he was bullshitting. Could he survive on that? Yes. With a 225 pound muscular frame? lol, no. Dude would look like a holocaust victim.

11. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

*decides not to make comments about vegan athletes*

12. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

I've always thought some of those claims seem pretty ridiculous. How could she possibly get down 9000 calories unless she is eating lard with a spoon?

13. rikwebb

rikwebb Purple Belt

Wasn't it claimed Manny Pacquiao was downing 5-6000 calories a day at one point also?

14. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I hate reading about "so and so's workout" or "this guy's diet" because it's never factual. Magazines like Muscle and Fitness are notorious for this. They create these wacky workouts and claim movie stars and athletes follow them. Bullshit. If people only knew that even the top athletes workout programs are actually boring as shit because they follow the same basic principles that everyone should be. The same with nutrition.

15. rorydaboss

rorydaboss Brown Belt

I remember hearing it was more in the 7-8,000 range.

16. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I could actually see Manny burning this many at the peak part of his camp. I guess he tires out his pad holders before he does throwing strikes lol.

Just during the highest part tho would eating 6,000 be beneficial

17. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

Yeah, he was hospitalized for it and wrote a book about it. And I'm not bashing him by any means. Seemed like a great guy when he came and did a suicide prevention seminar where I work, but this idea of surviving on a bowl of soup and a salad every day while carrying 220+ pounds is unbelievable to me.

18. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

Dont most athletes follow high carb, moderate protein, low fat diet?

19. Cygnus-X

Cygnus-X Red Belt

If you're a weightlifter then your energy expenditure is low compared to that of a competitive endurance athlete. Anaerobic training generally doesn't expend that much energy.

Although 9000 calories for a female athlete sounds incredibly high, I must admit.

20. Nemesis1103

Nemesis1103 Blue Belt

Problem is that most fighters are cutting weight during training camp and generally are cutting calories. Not sure what Pac walks around at compared to his weight class though.