Atama Gold Weave W/Flags: Review.

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's been a while since I bought my Atama. A new one is on the way (gameness from ron). But too many poeple ask about atama these days so I thought I'd make a little review.

Here is a picture of the gi:
front_200-385.gif
top_pants_200-385.gif

Quality:

Jacket:The quality is pretty good, the matrial seems to be a thick cotton and the lapel is pretty hard to get a good grip on. The matrial must be coated with something because at one point I couldnt wash my gi for about 9 classes and it didn't stink AT ALL! The flags are always in differant positions, either sides, facing whatever side. The American flag is starting to get a little tear in the material but it dont think its anyting mojor. This gi has very few patches. It is fairly comfortable to be in, but it is pretty baggy, if you are looking for a tight fit gi this isnt for you. After a few weeks of training loose threads started to come out but it doesnt seem to matter because I cut them off with no effect to the rest of the material.

Pants: The pants are decent, nothing special. There is double padding starting around the mid leg area to prevent tears and also to stop your balls from sweating I like that little feature. The strings arent that good, I tried to put the pants on once and couldnt because the strings somehow got stuck, dont know how I managed that. The pants are also very baggy but not too long. I am 5'10 and the gi fits me perfectly. It shrunk about 2 inches, no dryer cold water wash always.

Overall: I'd give it a 6 out of 10. The quality is good, but not good enough. I hope my gameness will be better, I will review it as soon as I recover from my injury. This applies to the flagless model as well.

ThanX

Intersting. I really enjoy my current Atama gi, and have a gold weave (w/o flags) coming for Christmas.

judo_white_right.jpg

I picked up a Judo Single Weave White in September that was on sale, and I love it. I knew the cut was a little bigger b/c it was a Judo gi, but for the price I couldn't argue (and I got tired of having to have my only gi dry before the next class if I forgot to hang it up.) The pants I thought were really comfortable, and a lot better than the crap I was wearing before.

Granted, my opinion may be biased because I was using a Gi from Century before, but I've had nothing but good things to say about my Atama. I've rolled in it at least twice a week w/o issue or threads, and I'm a big guy with a lot of mass to move.

Also, I will say that their customer service is stellar. I traded a couple emails with Renata before I purchased my gi, giving her my weight/chest/waist, and she nailed the fit. I gave her the measurements for my wife and she nailed that fit as well. Also, when they ran out of the gi I ordered for my wife, Renata cut me a really nice deal on a different style.

All that being said, I am still looking forward to the SSF gi when it comes out.

Interesting bro. I have nothing against Atama in fact I love my gi, but I thought it would be a little tighter and better fit.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Interesting bro. I have nothing against Atama in fact I love my gi, but I thought it would be a little tighter and better fit.
order a smaller size?

infamous mattyd said:
order a smaller size?
The size I have is prefect for me, I am pretty light. You on the other hand should have a decently tight fit.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
The size I have is prefect for me, I am pretty light. You on the other hand should have a decently tight fit.
because I ordered the right size

infamous mattyd said:
because I ordered the right size
For the 5th time, I got the right size, a size smaller will have the pants coming up to my knees. The reason yours is tight is because you are a super heavy wieght.

I was curious, Weonlywonsixtwo, what type of work you put the gi through. BJJ? MMA? I'll admit to being new here, so I'm not familiar with a lot of what people do.

only complaint about atama kimonos is the pants begin to fall apart at the hip alot.

Ive seen alot of pair of pants where the hip rips or where the draw string is threaded threw rips...
Good jacket though!

mr_davil said:
I was curious, Weonlywonsixtwo, what type of work you put the gi through. BJJ? MMA? I'll admit to being new here, so I'm not familiar with a lot of what people do.
Bjj.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
LOL I told you to get an A2 but you said it would be too tight. Next time order an A2. I think the most snug gi's are Atamas.

Soid said:
LOL I told you to get an A2 but you said it would be too tight. Next time order an A2. I think the most snug gi's are Atamas.
i agree atamas shrink so much when you wash em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back