At last! I can throw a left hook..

John O'Brien

They call me Barnacle Bill.
@red
Reaction score
Man, I've been throwing right hooks forever and a day.. the last 2 months I've taken a half hour out everyday working on my left hook and right now I'm starting to feel some force behind it. Did anyone else have problems with it? biggest problem for me is that I'm left legged but right handed, so I used to lead with my right hand so I'd have power in my left leg but it didn't fair too well for me if a fight went long. Sure a leading right hook has some ruthless power behind it, but it can be tiring.

Are you right handed? MOst people I know have a hard time with the rear hook than the lead hook.

I used to have a similar problem, that i couldnt even use my left @ all.

I would just work an train with my left, now i lead in with the left, i throw more lefts then my right. (i guess thats natural because my right is my power hand.)

Congrats on the new learned skill. Im currently training on my kicks, i was born with real bad chicken legs so there is no power in them, only good for kicking some1's thigh lol

I have a harder time throwing a right hook (cause i'm right handed) than throwing a left hook

i have a hard times throwing hooks in general. to me they dont seem like a very good punch at all and the left hook is probably the weakest punch there is, especially in Muay Thai. i always lead with the straight punch and jab, then only sometimes will I attempt to follow up with a hook

moodymikey said:
i have a hard times throwing hooks in general. to me they dont seem like a very good punch at all and the left hook is probably the weakest punch there is, especially in Muay Thai. i always lead with the straight punch and jab, then only sometimes will I attempt to follow up with a hook

you probably think that way b/c left hook is a close range move, so it makes it diffucult to use if u're not used to it. have patience. left hook is powerful, esp cuz it's hard to block.

moodymikey said:
Not a very good punch? I can't understand how you could think that, the left hook is in my opinion the best punch after the jab. It's sneaky, it's powerful and it's tight, what more could you ask for?

Left hook is definately a great punch, IMO more valuable than the right hook because its faster.

I'm right handed, and my right cross or hook is pretty good, and that pretty much came naturally. My lead left hook kinda sucks though. It's just been the last couple weeks where I've really started to work on it. Spend a few minutes in the mirror shadow boxing, making sure to turn my left foot clockwise, push my hips through and keep my arm/shoulder from falling and exposing my chin. I'm aiming for precision, for the first few minutes, then speed, then power.
It's taken some time, and needs a lot more work, but your only as strong as your weakest link, right?

Eduardo R. said:
Not a very good punch? I can't understand how you could think that, the left hook is in my opinion the best punch after the jab. It's sneaky, it's powerful and it's tight, what more could you ask for?
a straight right:)

Are you throwing "Hooks have no wrist involved" type of hooks, or loopers?

I'm left handed, and I've so I'm naturally stronger and smoother throwing left hooks, but most of my trainers are right handed, and so I have good hooks on both sides.. Jabs is a whole 'nother story however.

Glad your hook is coming along.

I don't know what your problem is guys? I'm a righty, but i find that I have more power in a lead left hook than in a lead right hook. What muscles control that punch anyways? Ive always felt it with the lats and the pecs the way i throw a lead hook....and my left side is over developed in that area from throwing all the time ( or so I think)

not to sound offensive, but if you think a rear hook is easier than your lead, chances are that your rear hook is wrong. i still dont' throw a right hook unless its a semi-uppercut to the body. i actually never hook with right to the head unless my stance is tangled so my right is the lead.

Blackbeltnow, you speak the truth.

Apart from unusual punches (like the rear hook), the lead hook is the hardest punch to learn to throw right, but the one that's most likely to lead to a KO. It requires endless practice to get down right. The hardest thing for me was learning that the hand barely needs to move at all, but the body and legs must explode hugely. Your hand, it only needs to move a couple inches if you do it right. You need very little arm or pec strength to throw it, everything should be generated by your legs and torso.

What helped me a lot was a drill my trainer taught me, which is to stand in a doorway, put my hand a couple inches from the door frame, and practice ripping my body towards the door with my legs, using the hand to simply "catch" the punch on the frame. Once you get it down, you can fire off a crushing lead hook with barely any exposure, and without using much arm strength.

lmao, right hooks being used by orthodox fighters as leads? hahahahhahahahahahahahah

you must be sparring w/ a bunch of noobs if you actually catch people w/ that.

Eduardo R. said:

Yea thats right..a left hook with throw a fighters timing way off.

TapOutGrapler said:
I don't know what your problem is guys? I'm a righty, but i find that I have more power in a lead left hook than in a lead right hook. What muscles control that punch anyways? Ive always felt it with the lats and the pecs the way i throw a lead hook....and my left side is over developed in that area from throwing all the time ( or so I think)

My problem was that I was left legged and right handed, so I'd lead with my right hand so I could generate more power in my kicks.. The problem was, if it went to a punch-out, I'd be in alot of trouble which is why I wanted to work on leading with me left hand, including the lead left hook.. Since I've never really used my left hand, it took me quite some time to get used to throwing hooks with it..

By far my favorite punch. One training technique that helped me is just keep your right hand up in guard and just throw left hooks on the bag till you want to puke. Then go puke and come back and do more.

Eventually you will get them down.

I have more problems getting the Rcross than the Lhook. Maybe it's just an individual thing because I have trouble with my AC joints so it is more comfortable throwing something bent than straight ie; bodyshots/hooks as opposed to jabs & crosses.

Hey, at least you're getting there. Persistence & dedication pays off....

Lots of different opinions here - none wrong.

Here's some shit that I've learned and used to make my left/lead hook reasonably fast and powerful.

First, find out if your hook is more effective with palm toward you or palm to the floor. For some people it makes all the difference in how the wrist is rotated when the punch is executed.

Second, for the love of God, find someone who knows what they are talking about to show you how to properly throw a "lead hook" as opposed to a "rear hook". And when I say properly, I mean all aspects of the punch: forarm, arm and shoulder movement/placement, legwork, torso and hip movement/placement and, perhaps most importantly, HEAD AND CHIN PLACEMENT. FFS just the other day I was doing heavy bag drills with a guy at the local gym and he was going on about the power of his hooks. Thing of it was that at the end of his punch his feet were awkwardly placed, and even better, his chin was beautifully exposed during and after the punch: bad foot placement + exposed chin + missed hook punch = "Hey buddy! You okay? I knocked you down. You okay?" I didn't say anything and won't until we have a few sparring matches.

Third, and this was/is something that I put myself through because I was unsatisfied with the raw strength of what I call a "shoulder hook", which refers to the power you generate strictly from the hook motion of the punch caused solely by the movement of your entire arm by your shoulder muscles. A lot of folks have weak "shoulder hooks" yet when they stack foot, hip and torso motion, they come out with a reasonably powerful punch. Problem is, of course, when you're in close or you start to gas and don't have the mobility you did when you were fresh. There is no substitute for having strong, individual elements behind your complex motions. In otherwords, attack the weakest elements of your punches/technique and make them stronger.

To improve my lead hooks I stood at a comfortable distance from the bag from which I could throw a solid lead hook, froze myself in a protective stance, and threw consecutive hook punches, focusing on isolating the entire movement to that of a shoulder exercise. Whenever you do a bag drill, do this a minimum of 1 round each time. I did this for my lead hook in orthodox and Southy stances, and the muscularity and strength of my shoulders improved quite noticeably. Now, I can throw an isolated shoulder hook and feel reasonably satisfied by the power I generate on that alone.

Fourth, unless you're athletically gifted with better than average speed, a lone, lead hook is a risky venture. Practice throwing a jab-hook double, adnauseum, until the muscles that power the transition between the punches strengthen sufficiently to make it a comfortable motion, rather than an awkward one.

Anyhow, this is just stuff that has helped me improve my speed, power and technique. Everyone's body is different, so find out what helps you. Don't be lazy.

Back