• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ASOIAF/GOT Book thread v21: (Lots of Spoilers)

The only thing that annoyed me was how fast everybody was getting between Winterfell and the wall. Is the wall like 10 miles from Winterfell? What the shit...

The two major deaths both seem pretty simple. Stannis isn't dead. If he was, they wouldn't have cut away. The preview chapters for Book 6 is a Theon chapter with Stannis talking to Theon who is chained up. Theon's sister comes with an army from the Iron Isles and saves the day for Stannis.

Jon is probably dead, but the fact that Melisandre shows up just as it happens means she will resurrect him like Catelyn was in the books. Having Kit say he is dead is a good way of making the scene impactful when he comes back to life.

The only way I see these things being different is if they decided to go for completely different outcomes to George.

Thing is, why would brienne show him mercy? to do what exactly. He might very well die in book 6 anyway. we all know he's not gonna be king of westeros, his journey was always gonna be a dead end.

The only thing that annoyed me was how fast everybody was getting between Winterfell and the wall. Is the wall like 10 miles from Winterfell? What the shit...

What about littlefinger? Dude probably has fast travel unlocked.

So is Arya's story more, less or at the same (more or less) as the books? Arya in the books went blind, fooled the Faceless Men by learning to warg eyesights from cats, recovered, then murderized whatshisface.

Is her killing Trant in the series like her killing Daeron or Raff?

Thing is, why would brienne show him mercy? to do what exactly. He might very well die in book 6 anyway. we all know he's not gonna be king of westeros, his journey was always gonna be a dead end.

Because she abandoned her oath to Cat to protect Sansa to seek revenge.
Sansa will probably become the new LSH. I wonder what will happen to reek.

Her killing Trant was more like killing the deserter no?

Then again, the show does love combining separate characters into one.

BTW, that area where Dany runs into the Dothraki. Totally looks like horse nomad steppe country. XD

Weakest season yet because they were adapting bad books instead of good/decent books.

Yea but all that Dornish bullshit wasn't in the books which I thought was the weakest part of this season by far. bad pussy....They should've had Jamie go join the siege of Riverrun. I hate how they changed his character to pining for Cersei's affection where in the books he basically said Cersei can go fuck herself when he burned her letter. They also made Sansa looks pretty weak this season but I understand why they did it if they're trying to wrap up the show in 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Overall - very entertaining episode.

Stannis meets his end in the best way possible, with some very badass last words - 'Go ahead and do your duty.'

Dany's scene was quite different than what I was expecting. We'll see how she's doing next season.

Cerci's scene was... well... not as exciting as I hoped to see her walking naked through the city. I kept hearing her father's quote of 'A lion does not care for the opinions of sheep' as she walked.

And Jon? His end was as it should be for the end of the season. But what I'm kinda surprised by, was Thorn being the first to stab him. Call me weird, but I thought there was a respect that was built between Thorn and Jon, call me weird.

But now I can look forward to Jon killing Thorn off in the near future, after his resurrection.

The thing is though we don't even know if Stannis is really dead or not. They tend to show every major characters death in the show but somehow not his. I think he is still alive. Brienne has something else in mind for Stannis.

is jon snows death official or is it a mystery ?

Fuck GOT!

1. Stannis burning his own daughter to death
2. Cersei getting out of those zealots dungeon
3. Jon Snow

g2P0t3x.gif

Book, nope.

Show writers say he is, but doesn't mean he stays dead.

Surprised by the number of friends who watch the show and don't read the books, are convinced Jon will be resurrected.

When asked point-blank if Snow is firmly gone—as in, is actor Kit Harington released from his Thrones contract?—showrunner Dan Weiss told EW, “Dead is dead.”

“We would hope that after seeing the scene and the way it’s shot that the answer to that will be unambiguous in the minds of the people watching it,” Weiss explained. “It should be pretty clear what happens in by the time you’re done seeing that scene. It’s not an, ‘Oh what just happened scene?’”

Yet for Martin and his A Song of Ice and Fire saga, the answer is: Maybe not.

“Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?” Martin teased us in an interview in 2011. “My readers should know better than to take anything as gospel.”

And then just a few months ago when we re-asked about the topic, Martin told us: “If there’s one thing we know in A Song of Ice and Fire is that death is not necessarily permanent.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-snow-really-dead

I'm banking on a Jon Snow revival. Don't think the priest used the kingsblood to warm the place up, I'd wager that it was just a bit of global warming doing its thing.

It's a shit end to the season when there's so many open ended plots.

Book, nope.

Show writers say he is, but doesn't mean he stays dead.

Surprised by the number of friends who watch the show and don't read the books, are convinced Jon will be resurrected.

There is no such thing as a TV show only viewer for speculating on future events. It's not possible for that population to be isolated from the speculation of book viewers. Before memes became funny captions on pictures, Richard Dawkins came up with the idea that ideas can spread, like a gene. The TV pool isn't isolated from the book pool at all. They're completely infected.

what a clusterfuck, can't believe I'm saying this - books are far superior to the show now (even as shitty as Feast and Dance were)

my predictions for the show

I think tyrion takes barristan's role and the siege is season 6 while daario and jorah try to rescue dany from the horde. For budget reasons they couldn't have Hardhome and Battle in the Snow, and Seige. So Stannis's battle got axed because they hate Stannis, and Mereen is season 6's giant battle. Dany's arc probably in 6 will end with her killing khals w/ Drogon, taking over the horde as a true khaleesi, leaving Grey Worm and Missendei in Mereen to rule w/ the unsullied as muscle. By leaving Mereen with leaders that have an army, she avoids repeating the mistakes she made w/ Astapor and Yunkai and allows for stability. Gaining the khalasar allows her to leave behind the unsullied. Season 6 ends with her boarding ships to Westeros. Season 7 first half conquers Westeros, second half against white walkers.

Stannis may not be dead, gets Mance's spot from the books. Works with BFT to save Sansa. Sansa and Theon had north, she just learned Jon is Lord Commander and Bran and Rickon probably went north, so that's where they go. Leaves Boltons in Winterfell to get attacked by the Vale, Littlefinger gets the gates opened, they sack them from within ala Red Wedding. At some point Sansa kills Littlefinger and one of the starks - Rickon or her, gets Winterfell in the end.

Jon gets resurrected by Melissendre, as what point does she have without stannis. they could have written her off the show with simply disappearing and abandoning stannis, but she appeared at the wall of all places as jon is being murdered. he leaves the watch, goes north for Bran, cause ya know what, fuck it. Bran and Jon together vs the whitewalkers is the endgame, like Sam and Frodo, travelling to the heart of the White Walker stronghold. learn some sort of shit through that weirwood network that makes it a good plan. Jon has a jesus christ moment where he dies to save the world. finds out his parents through the bran visionquest, world never finds out he was Targ/azor ahai/saviour of the world, but he saves them anyway, hearkening back the halfhands little speech about dying on the wall, saving lives, and the world being unaware.

Davos - he gets sent after Rickon or Bran, after Sansa arrives. He winds up finding common ground with Melissendre, she might assist in finding Bran vision wise. Davos dies but does something productive before he goes.

BFT - kills 500 white walkers.

Jon might have a small ranging party of Stannis, Davos, BFT (last hero style). Azor Ahai sacrificed his wife for lightbringer, maybe Stannis sacrificing his daughter pays off for him later.

Cersei, Arya, Jaime - who cares

Last edited:
haven't watched the last 3 episodes yet, but it sounds like we are still on track for StanJon, so that's good.

watched episode 7 on Sat night, and while Dorne is terrible in the books and show, that scene in jail with Bronn and that chick legit gave me wood.

His words to her were "Go on, do your duty." Good chance she remembers that her duty is to rescue Sansa, and realizes that seeking out and killing Stannis while Winterfell is open and the candle is lit is a betrayal of her real duty.

Back