asked my dentist about Mouthguards

Gsoares2***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
195$ JESUS!
They seem nice and all but come on man 200$ for a mouth guard. Does anyone know a way to get this covered on insurance... i was told they are not covered.

Why don't you try opro's? I heard somewhere that dentists basically send the impressions to labs like opro's and make a killer profit off each mouthguard.

Dude insurance covers mouthguards.. atleast mine does :)

Holy shit!

What makes the worth so much more than the cheap ones that you cook and form yourself?

From what I hear a "tighter" fit. And breathability.

Opro. You make the impression yourself which is simple and send it off. It comes back later and fits great. The one time price includes shipping. Much cheaper and great quality.

Brainpad mouthguards are the best on the market. They are proven to reduce head-injuries and concussions from lower-jaw impacts. And have a uniqe design that allows you to breath freely while your jaw is clenched. They run at about $9.95 and are backed by a free $8,000 dental warranty. They're your best buy. And you can find them at pretty much every sporting goods store. Check em out at http://www.wipss.com/

I had a BrainPad and wasn't too happy with it. Currently have A ShockDoctor GeMax I got free with my stand up punchbag, planning to order an OPro.

my uncle is dentist so I have them for free... if you uncle is not dentist go with the brainpads they are the 2nd best

yeah the boil ones i have are like what superbeast is talking about.

Its not that bad but its not real comfortable... when it is warm and everything it fits good but then by the time i cools down it like putting a mouth piece from someones elses mouth in.
They have a hard piece of plastic on the bottom so you cant bite through it but it makes me hold my mouth weird.

Opro's are 55$ which isnt bad. Im going to set that up today i think.

The opro sounds like a good deal... im going to check that out.

I need a double mouthguard b/c I have braces...so it looks like the brainpad series i my best bet.

I just ordered the impression kit from o-pro.
I have to wait to get two teeth fixed before i can use it whcih isnt happening untill October 12th. But i figured i would get the kit first before that happened.

I have boil and bite ones are awful and on give superficial protection. where do fighters get theirs from? Like Arlovski?

Superbeast said:
I had a BrainPad and wasn't too happy with it. Currently have A ShockDoctor GeMax I got free with my stand up punchbag, planning to order an OPro.

Do you like the shockdoctor? I was looking to pick one up till I get the $$$ for an opro or bitmemouthguard.

From what I have seen the ones from the dentist are just an impression of your teeth with a little bit of plastic around them. It doesn't look like it would protect that well. One of my friends dentist gave him one for free.
The shockdoctor makes a mold of your teeth plus it has some technology in there. To me this seems to be better at protecting your teeth. They don't fall out and are real comfortable. For $10 you can get one every year if it wears down.

I picked mine up from the DDS yesterday and rolled in them tonight. One word "AWESOME". the fit is perfect, I can breath in them, talk in them and I forgot that I had them one. Well worth the money. I've had the Shock Dr, the Brain Pad and a few others and this thing rocks. It even has my name on the inside.

www.SSFgear.com

Adino said:
Do you like the shockdoctor? I was looking to pick one up till I get the $$$ for an opro or bitmemouthguard.

It fits pretty snug and my lips don't get cut up. It does the job it should be doing even if it's not pro-standard.

Gsoares2 said:
195$ JESUS!
They seem nice and all but come on man 200$ for a mouth guard. Does anyone know a way to get this covered on insurance... i was told they are not covered.

fuck that. I got a custom fitted sports mouthguard from my dentist and it's covered by private health insurance and theres a new rebate for dental work which you can claim like $60-70 bucks off the cost, so I payed about 50 bucks in total for mine =D

War Australia!

Odium said:
Holy shit!

What makes the worth so much more than the cheap ones that you cook and form yourself?

Proper fits, designed for sports (which is why you say "I want a heavy impact SPORTS mouthguard when you go to the dentist), and as was stated, better breathing.

~Foz

Hmm, I will have to look into that.

I wore braces, and do not want to get my teeth knocked out.

Back