As a smaller guy

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Around 140 lbs, it always feels weird when I roll with a total beginner who has 60/70 lbs on me and I can basically smash him. I give myself some leeway to not go too easy on him cuz there is a size discrepancy, but he's a beginner so Im not gonna go all out either. I always try to be conscious about finding a balance.

I also have no idea what that feels like on the other end, cuz I've always been the smallest guy in the room. I think the only way I could put myself in those shoes is if I rolled with an actual dwarf with serious jiu jitsu skills and he crushed me. I don't think that's a thing though.

I also have no idea what that feels like on the other end, cuz I've always been the smallest guy in the room. I think the only way I could put myself in those shoes is if I rolled with an actual dwarf with serious jiu jitsu skills and he crushed me. I don't think that's a thing though.

Go to AOJ. Find one of their small, full time juvenile competitors. Ask him to roll. Questions answered.

Around 140 lbs, it always feels weird when I roll with a total beginner who has 60/70 lbs on me and I can basically smash him. I give myself some leeway to not go too easy on him cuz there is a size discrepancy, but he's a beginner so Im not gonna go all out either. I always try to be conscious about finding a balance.

i can identify with this. im always the smallest guy in the adult classes but i have been training long enough to ragdoll most newbies no matter how large. on the other hand ive almost never been tapped or smashed by somebody smaller than me so its hard to sympathize with these big lunks.

when i (145lbs) roll with a 200lb male and smash him, its like if i were to get smashed by a 90-pounder. i cant imagine how it must feel

Don't go easy on big lower belts. You don't have to burn out all your energy or anything but you shouldn't take it easy on them. Their size can get you hurt - better to get to a dominant position and not be in a position where their (unintentional) spaz and sloppiness can injure you.

I think it's good as a big new guy to see what hard training and skill can help you achieve, and have trouble with higher level smaller dudes. Motivating.

rolling with huge guys specially after certain age and trying to be all technical and not worry about the other dude cause is a noob is a good way to hurt yourself. no need to roll like a mundials final, but always be careful with big white belts.

At 190 I'm on both sides of it. There are some really good smaller guys that give me a good rolls well as some soft big guys. Skill is what matters in size differences. A 250 pound noob should be easily choked by a 150 pound blue belt.

You don't have women at your gym? I'm your size and I'm one of the larger women at mine. We have some roosterweight and light feather women who could probably give you a tough roll. The smaller people invert like crazy and tend to have flexible, impenetrable guards.

Can I ask about your game? What do you find effective against bigger people?

You don't have women at your gym? I'm your size and I'm one of the larger women at mine. We have some roosterweight and light feather women who could probably give you a tough roll. The smaller people invert like crazy and tend to have flexible, impenetrable guards.

Can I ask about your game? What do you find effective against bigger people?

There's a female brown belt who consistently destroys me. She's maybe a little bigger than me. The rest of the girls at the gym are pretty much newbs tho.

I pretty much try the same thing to everyone regardless of their size. Basically, over/under pass, north south choke, to varying degrees of success.

There's a female brown belt who consistently destroys me. She's maybe a little bigger than me. The rest of the girls at the gym are pretty much newbs tho.

I pretty much try the same thing to everyone regardless of their size. Basically, over/under pass, north south choke, to varying degrees of success.

I love over-under. Like Bernardo Faria style? It's funny because I associate that with bigger people but it's cool it works for you.

The very small guy at our gym plays spider and lasso guard (basically relies on sleeve grips for everything and sweeps from the bottom). It works incredibly well for him because he can pull big people off balance as they try to pass.

Back