As a champion what leverage do you have in getting a better contract?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Aren't the contracts set up that you can't fight for a different organization if you are the current champion? If so how is a guy like Jose Aldo supposed to get a pay raise if he can't threaten to sign with another organization. In addition to him this goes for the other champions that have held the belt for a long time, can't the UFC just keep them locked in at a similar rate or tell them to find a job that's not as an MMA fighter?

No UFC fighter under contract can fight for a different organization. You can threaten to sign elsewhere during renegotiation, i.e Melendez. If you're the champion and you sign with someone else, you vacate the belt, i.e Bustamante.

No UFC fighter under contract can fight for a different organization. You can threaten to sign elsewhere during renegotiation, i.e Melendez. If you're the champion and you sign with someone else, you vacate the belt, i.e Bustamante.

That was more so my question, does a champion ever reach a point of free agency under the current contracts? For example, I see they are working on a contract with Jon Jones right now, does that mean he is a free agent?

They can vacate their titles and sign elsewhere, get their agents to try to renegotiate their contracts, etc. Nobody who's under contract whether they are a champion or not can just sign somewhere else, so in that sense no one under contract has any "leverage in getting a better contract."

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think that the UFC has a matching clause in their contracts. Similar to what Bellator has. If your contract is up you can get a deal elsewhere but the UFC has the option to match it. Unless you want to sit out for a while.

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

Source:

mmapayout.com/2009/09/the-champions-clause-an-mma-comparative/ So depending if Jose is still on...tract expire to test the waters the same way?

As a champion, the UFC NEEDS you to fight. That is leverage. The need for you to defend the belt. It sells PPV's, it draws the most attention. Championship fights are big deals the whole reason everyone is there. So, that is the leverage, they NEED you to defend that belt.

You don't have to sign, and you don't have to fight, all without leaving for another org. You can just choose not to sign or fight. But they will pay you to do so, and the longer you hold out as a champ, the more likely it is they will offer you more money.

That was more so my question, does a champion ever reach a point of free agency under the current contracts? For example, I see they are working on a contract with Jon Jones right now, does that mean he is a free agent?

As I understand it they are working on a contract EXTENSION for Jones, the UFC doesnt like to let contracts expire so they typically try to extend it when a fighter gets within 2 fights of fulfilling his contract.

Correct, I just struggle with that language.
If I sign a 5 fight contract, and in my first fight I win the title, does 3 fights get added to that contract or only if you win it on your 5th fight. After my 5th fight I am free to seek out offers from other organizations?

I just fail to believe that Bellator, WSOF, or ONE FC wouldn't offer Jose more than what is about 120/120 to add instant credibility. After seeing the offer Gilbert Melendez received why hasn't someone like Jose let his contract expire to test the waters the same way?

it extends at the end of the term, regardless of when you win it.

So lets say you sign a 5 fight contract - if you win the title at any point within those 5 fights and by the end of your 5th fight, you are still the champ - your contract gets extended for 3 fights or 1 year - what ever happens first.

Jose could of signed a 10 fight contract for all we know? He may still be on the contract and hasn't gotten to the champion extension clause yet.

If I sign a 5 fight contract, and in my first fight I win the title, does 3 fights get added to that contract or only if you win it on your 5th fight. After my 5th fight I am free to seek out offers from other organizations?

I just fail to believe that Bellator, WSOF, or ONE FC wouldn't offer Jose more than what is about 120/120 to add instant credibility. After seeing the offer Gilbert Melendez received why hasn't someone like Jose let his contract expire to test the waters the same way?

The terms are that if you are the UFC champ at the END of the contract your contact is extended. And I believe that the contract time duration is frozen if you refuse a fight or cannot accept due to injury.

So no UFC champion can be a free agent until 1 year after the final fight on their original contract. And if you turn down fights you are in Nate Diaz territory.

The leverage a fighter has in renegotiating is that if they
dont resign and win out, they can hit the open market.

Look at Randy and his "retirement" when he tried to go fight Fedor. A champ can't quit as I understand it . He can only retire, I'm not sure if that's still the case but I can't imagine it changing without serious pressure.

With Jones AND Aldo now complaining about the money they make ... I do not think it is long before you hear others stating the same... Ace basically said he hadn't made enough and he was a champion/fan fave/company guy ...

Thanks for the responses, I just think that some of these lightweights (mainly Aldo) signed too long of contracts it would seem. They should see what Gilbert pulled off and he wasn't even the champion, and try and follow suit. A guy like Jones it doesn't hurt to sign an extension because he is likely making so much money that another organization wouldn't be able to top what he is getting, but for a lightweight champ on a long win streak it should be seeked out..... or at least so says this guy who doesn't have a clear understanding of the contracts.

If I was a champ and my contract was up, I'd ask to be payed what the highest fighter in the org is making.

Though, that might only work for: Ronda, Cain, Jones, Aldo, Weidman. I think the UFC would let TJ, MM and Jonay walk.

You have to be champ at the end of your 5th fight.

Back