Arum: only way Rigo could be a household name is if Castro co-promoted with me

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Nothing more than a soundbyte here really but I think it says a lot more about Arum's character than he meant it to. This is a promoter talking about his own boxer who he's meant to be building up. He has basically told Rigo it's not worth your time. Arum has lost the power to build stars and seems to be only relying on certain minorities to support their fighters in the US. He doesn't know what to do when there isn't already an in built following.

Nothing more than a sound bite, then why start a new thread on it?

What a stupid thing to say about your own guy, I agree. He's snubbing Bradley, who could be a great character for American boxing fans. Now he's blatantly snubbing Rigondeaux. This guy makes me sick. He doesn't know what he's got. Top Rank will probably go bust after Pacman retires, since Arum seems to have all his eggs in that one basket.

He's gonna die soon. His son died. He pretty much as hung it up and is letting whatever money that is going to come in, come in.

How dumb was the reporter "Did you really speak to Raul?"

The sad thing is part of what he is saying is true, I doubt Rigo is ever a guy people are paying 50$ for to see fight on PPV and drawing big numbers. Sad as it is though because he is extremely talented and I think he could run through most of the guys from 122 to 130. I would love to see him fight Chris John but John has I believe two fights left he said and no way he risks losing that 0 at the end of his career to someone the caliber of Rigo.

Nothing more than a soundbyte here really but I think it says a lot more about Arum's character than he meant it to. This is a promoter talking about his own boxer who he's meant to be building up. He has basically told Rigo it's not worth your time. Arum has lost the power to build stars and seems to be only relying on certain minorities to support their fighters in the US. He doesn't know what to do when there isn't already an in built following.

I think the guy knows a bit more about promoting than most. Some guys are ridiculously hard to build up, it's just the way it is. Rigo has doesn't have the most exciting style and he is obviously not promoted well in cuba because the government does not like boxers going pro over there.

Therefore he is in a foreighn country, where he has no local following, doesn't have the most appealing style to casual fans and is not a loud mouth like Mayweather who gets people's attention that way. Arum could build him up but it would cost him a lot of money and he doesn't want to risk wasting all that time and money to promote him just to see him walk out like Cotto, Mayweather and other names have to his arch rival Golden Boy.

The sad thing is part of what he is saying is true, I doubt Rigo is ever a guy people are paying 50$ for to see fight on PPV and drawing big numbers. Sad as it is though because he is extremely talented and I think he could run through most of the guys from 122 to 130. I would love to see him fight Chris John but John has I believe two fights left he said and no way he risks losing that 0 at the end of his career to someone the caliber of Rigo.

the cuban boxers are exceptional, they're worked to the bone once they reach Olympic status right until they're ready to retire. A lot of them seem to have just fallen out of love for the game once they extradite imo, and just box because they're so good they can still make a lot of money out of it.

Solis is an example of that, guy has amazing talant but is just obese now and does not have the desire to really push himself to the top.

What was all that hubbub about Rigo having been under 50 Cent's promo outfit for some time now?

Back