Artificial Sweetener or Sugar?

Rjkd12 said:
Haha. Yeah, I agree, especially in a nutrition forum that is currently arguing about aspartame. I"m a certified bastard from the FBBC webpage, so that means you should listen to me about how to throw a right cross. Additionally I have a degree in kinesiology so when I talk about religion you better get pen and paper.
Not necessarily my personal opinion, just stating the general trend on Sherdog to worship both professional and amatuer fighters, and expect them to know all there is to know. Unless its Baroni. He gets very little slack.

I just dont buy into this natural/unatural crap

i use asparatame all the time , the only reason i try and stay away from it is because of the after taste , so i try and stick to splenda which dosnt taste as good as sugar but it helps when dieting

people are now living longer than ever and it has absoloutley nothing to do with eating only natural foods, infact we are eating more processed shit than ever

j

eljamaiquino said:
Try chewing some sugar cane and see how sweet that is.I did that all the time as a kid. That's the raw product..

So, is it sweet?

It's pretty sweet, but you gotta like the consistency of sweet landscape mulch.

Terumo said:
For the most part, I agree. In fact, I don't even consider what I believe to be completely rooted in science. To me, adequate defense of beliefs is done with reason and logic. However, if someone chooses to take a "spiritual" approach to a subject like aspartame, chances are greater than not that that person is looking for an excuse to make groundless claims. There are, of course, areas of thought that transcend science; those are fields in which this type of reasoning is much more valid.

Essentially, neither science nor spirituality is capable of explaining everything (at least not yet). The most logical approach is to implement each for its appropriate field. I won't try to use science to argue ethics and morality. Likewise, don't use spirituality as a means of explaining metabolism of artificial sweeteners. No field is all-encompassing; however, they certainly have areas of applicability.

I've never needed an excuse to make a scientifically groundless claim.

Chad Hamilton said:
I've never needed an excuse to make a scientifically groundless claim.

Did you just own..... yourself?

I'm so confused right now.

Chad Hamilton said:
Im just being a smartass man.

Ahhh. My fault. So much is between the brain and the keyboard. Plus, my Net Sarcasm Detector sucks.

King Kabuki said:
It's pretty sweet, but you gotta like the consistency of sweet landscape mulch.

Yum, that's my favorite! I've actually never tried the real stuff, before. I wanted to try the Sugar in the Raw stuff, but from what some people are saying it's not worth it and besides, it's kind of pricey when compared to regular bleached sugar.

Terumo-
What are your thought's on raw honey?
Or, bee products in general.

Chad Hamilton said:
Terumo-
What are your thought's on raw honey?
Or, bee products in general.

I like them, to a degree. First of all, honey has a decent saccharide profile, largely being in the form of d-fructose (hence the low GI and II). The problem with fructose is that there is a physiological threshold for utilizing it desirably. It has been shown that anywhere between 20-50g of fructose daily (big range, I know...) can lead to significantly increased blood triglyceride levels. The chances of comsuming this much fructose from honey alone are quite remote. However, 20-50g is quite obtainable when a person is eating a decent amount of fruit, as well.

Perhaps the greatest benefit of raw honey is not a nutritional one. This concept has been tossed around in the "voodoo, home-remedy" community for a while, but it was not until recently that it was shown to be more than a hypothesis. I think Nature Medicine was the journal that did the study, but I cannot remember. [For those of you outside of the medical community... Nature Medicine is not a New Age, pseudoscientific publication (as some may draw from the name). At the moment, it is one of the most selective, highly regarded journals in the medical community. I've been trying to get a couple of my papers published by them, and they are damn picky.] It was demonstrated that consuming locally-grown, raw honey can lead to a significant stifling of the inflammatory response. This is hypothesized to be a result of "immunizing" one against local environmental allergens. Hence, resultant immunoglobulin production, due to histamine activation, is reduced. Of course, the mechanism is just probable theory, but nonetheless, inflammatory response is lessened.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I really like this property. I take a single teaspoon of locally-grown buckwheat honey each day. Honestly, I think it I do better now than when I was on loratadine. Although personal experience is never a truly accurate gauge, for what it is worth, I think it is good stuff.

I go for a tbls. a day. Raw and local.

I hear the inside of the hive is the most sterile environment in nature...propolis.

Back