Article on Yahoo

DarthChen731

Disciple of Norm Macdonald
@Gold
Reaction score
This article was just posted on Yahoo a day or two ago and is talking about legalizing MMA in NY. They don't really say much other than how it's always stalled in years past, mention the culinary union beef, and say how O'Reilly (NY's biggest MMA hater) is no longer in office. So generally, the article is there to inform those who are less informed (non-hardcore MMA fans).

And that's where my problem is... does anybody else read the opening paragraphs and get a sense that the author is making it out to seem overly brutal and animalistic? He puts in the quotes "Smash his face!" and "Knock him out!" but who the fuck is he quoting there?! Some drunk idiot? Then he's talking about how bloody the fight was and the "bloodthirsty" nature of the crowd and how the referee "mercifully" stopped the fight. I totes don't dig the vibe that this guy is laying on MMA...

And if anybody didn't see the link on the first word and wants to complain, here it is in normal Shertard-proof form http://news.yahoo.com/york-legislators-end-ban-mma-2013-195000703.html

Last edited:
It's on yahoo. What did you expect?

Well they usually at least have a few writers who attempt to cover the sport without hating on it. They never really do a good job, but they at least don't make it and it's fans seem like some depraved gladiator spectacle from 2000 years ago.

Reading yahoo news articles causes brain cancer.

Yeah, he does try to paint a brutal picture in the opening a bit. I don't think he was trying to demonize the sport though. Paint it as bloody and physical, yes, but it sounded more like the writer misunderstands the sport, and not really trying to bash or belittle it.

Yeah, he does try to paint a brutal picture in the opening a bit. I don't think he was trying to demonize the sport though. Paint it as bloody and physical, yes, but it sounded more like the writer misunderstands the sport, and not really trying to bash or belittle it.

True, he didn't actively hate on it, but anybody who reads that article and has no idea what they're talking about will take that crap that he wrote and use it as the foundation for their opinion of "MMA is for bloodthirsty lunatics."

" The two fighters circled each other, trading punches and wiping away the blood splattering into each other's faces. The crowd began to boo as the pace of the fight slowed in the second round, thirsty for more bone-crunching action: "Smash his face!" "Knock him out!""

Lol, that part made me chuckle.

you can't buy a large coke in new york, i doubt they'll be legalizing mma any time soon

Yahoo's top comments are the only reason I click their stories

Eric Holden is a lifelong fan of the UFC and supporter of the sport of mixed martial arts. He covered MMA news for Examiner.com, Yahoo! Contributor Network, and several Long Island-based publications. Follow him on Twitter @ericholden.

New York is full of stubborn old people..Rex Ryan for example.

It may take a while to get MMA legalized there,too bad for them

you can't buy a large coke in new york, i doubt they'll be legalizing mma any time soon

For real??? That's fucked up, good thing i live in Texas where everything is bigger. Even the cokes

First word, first sentence. "Dozens" that says enough. Biased right from the start.
Eric Holden, you can still listen to your Justin Bieber, and maybe combat sports isn't for you. Maybe Badminton or checkers is more your speed.

BUT

With a live attendance of 12,423, don't give me this "dozens" shit. Like only the friends and family of the fighters packed into a dodge caravan and drove cross country.

Try writing on another sport. Your obvious bias that you are trying to cover up, isn't working.

This article was just posted on Yahoo a day or two ago and is talking about legalizing MMA in NY. They don't really say much other than how it's always stalled in years past, mention the culinary union beef, and say how O'Reilly (NY's biggest MMA hater) is no longer in office. So generally, the article is there to inform those who are less informed (non-hardcore MMA fans).

And that's where my problem is... does anybody else read the opening paragraphs and get a sense that the author is making it out to seem overly brutal and animalistic? He puts in the quotes "Smash his face!" and "Knock him out!" but who the fuck is he quoting there?! Some drunk idiot? Then he's talking about how bloody the fight was and the "bloodthirsty" nature of the crowd and how the referee "mercifully" stopped the fight. I totes don't dig the vibe that this guy is laying on MMA...

And if anybody didn't see the link on the first word and wants to complain, here it is in normal Shertard-proof form http://news.yahoo.com/york-legislators-end-ban-mma-2013-195000703.html

I would agree with you if I believed it to be wrong. I do believe there are more blood thirsty fans than not. I do believe most sports' fanbase, majority of sports fans, are ignorant to the intricacies of their respective sport. But with MMA being so new and more extreme than traditional sports, I think the problem is even more prevalent. When I go to a bar and watch people's reactions to all sports, I kinda feel embarassed for them. It's just for MMA they are calling it like they see it as for other sports, they are delusional.

Back