• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Article :Indian wrestlers can earn big money in MMA: UFC players

Any olympic medallist wrestler can have a succesful mma career. They just need proper training. The UFC needs to invest in training facilities and send some good coaches there to help them develop other aspects of the game.

How good are these Indian wrestlers? Has India ever won an Olympic gold medal in wrestling?

Iranians should look into MMA too. Outside of Madadi, I can't really think of too many Iranian wrestlers in MMA.

How good are these Indian wrestlers? Has India ever won an Olympic gold medal in wrestling?

Sushil Kumar won Bronze in Beijing and Silver in London and as it mentions Yogeshwar Dutt won a Bronze, so yes they are very good at what they do.

India has 26 total medals in their entire Olympic history. Considering their population, its fair to say they are the least athletic nation on earth. I wouldn't expect any Indian champions in the UFC...ever.

I am very impressed at how fast this sport is growing. Thanks to the UFC Presidents. They have a strong influence in MMA globalization.
The India Event could be a big step for Asian Fighters.

Are we talking about the country with the police officers that carry civil war muskets that wouldn't even open fire during the terrorist attacks?

I don't know if these guys have the Warrior spirit

Indians are VERY unathletic. They barely medal in the olympics, yet they bitch about ruining a potential fabricated career. Give me a break.

Sushil Kumar won gold at the 2010 World Championships. Geeta Phogat earned a bronze at last year's Women's Worlds.

Since Kumar got his bronze in Beijing, there has been a lot of positive press about wrestling in India.

Kushti (the indigenous wrestling in India and Pakistan) festivals have crowds of 10,000 people coming to watch in the rural communities.

India has 26 total medals in their entire Olympic history. Considering their population, its fair to say they are the least athletic nation on earth. I wouldn't expect any Indian champions in the UFC...ever.

Indians are VERY unathletic. They barely medal in the olympics, yet they bitch about ruining a potential fabricated career. Give me a break.

You really think the poor funding of India and the culture in itself have less to do with the poor Olympic success of the Indians than their athletic potential as individuals?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the issue, but to deem a specific race to be unathletic as a standard, simply based on the Olympics, definitely seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.

Here is a piece written this week in Mint (the Indian branch of the Wall Street Journal) about the popularity of traditional wrestling. I posted this on the Wrestling Roots FB page:

"Even as the international wrestling community grapples with the possibility of the sport being ousted from the 2020 Olympic Games, the traditional form of the sport in India is more popular than ever before."

“If we could only get some p...eople from the Olympic committee here, maybe they will reconsider their decision,” says Yogeshwar Dutt, only half in jest. Dutt, bronze medallist at the 2012 Olympic Games in freestyle wrestling, is in Farrukhnagar as a guest of honour. “Look at the crowds, look at how much fun people are having,” (10,000 spectators showed up)"

When Dutt first started wrestling, winners would earn just 5 rupee. That number has gone up quite a bit."

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/N3bdfOWlEp0NW4AdhKo5kI/Photo-Essay--Fight-club.html

Side note: In the past couple of Olympics, India has seen some success in both wrestling and boxing. It isn't that much of a leap to think that soon there will be successful MMAthletes coming out of the gyms in Delhi, Mumbai, or Pune.

illegal strikes...
but Indian fighters are known for their tenacity above anything else...

indian-action-movie.gif

plus they're heavy hitters...
tumblr_lkwax57gUS1qdvraco1_500.gif

Last edited:
You really think the poor funding of India and the culture in itself have less to do with their poor Olympic success than their athletic potential?

I didn't say athletic potential... I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into why India performs so poorly at the Olympics and produces so few world class athletes . I don't know exactly what they are though. My point is that India isn't going to be producing UFC Champions.

I disagree.

I lived in India for a little over two years. Many people ask why India (a country with 1.2 billion people) does not have more Olympic success in any sports. My explanation has been that Indians are truly gaga over cricket. The sports pages are simply dedicated to the sport. To imagine how popular cricket is, take a typical episode of SportCenter in the US. Pay attention to the amount of attention is focused on baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and toss in NASCAR

Hope they develop their talent pool.
Cause it could create major sharks.

Back