Arrested for having a fat child

Child abuse. I saw it all the time as a Paramedic. Glad to be out of that profession.

Yes people, if you eat nothing but shit, your body will turn to shit and you will get sick. This applies to your children as well.

Feeding your children a constant stream of McDonalds, mountain Dew, and chocolate is child abuse.

Willfully damaging your child's health should be considered child abuse.

A lot of it is probably just due to ignorance. Passing bad habits down to their children.

there are an awful lot of people who eat junk food as a staple.

The Sun reported the couple's 11-year-old son is 5ft 1in (1.5m) and 15 stone, with a body mass index (BMI) of 41.8.

Fuck that, fuck those parents. Parents aren't free to raise their children as they want, kids aren't pets or private belongings.

Willfully damaging your child's health should be considered child abuse.

Could not agree more. The fattest 0.1% of kids should be taken from their parents. If obesity is classified as a disability by our gov't (and it is), how is making a child morbidly obese, i.e. disabling your child, not child abuse?

So what happens to the kid? Foster families are kind a craps shoot too so there's a solid chance he won't be treated much better there. The parents are probably fatties themselves and don't know any better so I don't know about calling cruelty.

This is going to be selectively enforced and it's not a real solution. i.e. the kid is still gonna be fat.

Again with the right of the state to interfere with how parent raise their children. There's got to be a line where the parents are failing to properly provide for their kids, be it through letting them starve or poisoning them with junk food. I don't know if obesity alone amounts to that, or that the best corrective action is some kind of criminal charge, in many cases anyway.

It's weird to me to see the difference in knee jerk responses to this case as opposed to the GA case with the homunculus carrying stones for no purpose besides it being unpleasant. I don't think it's the same people responding differently about the right f a government to intervene in raising children based on the circumstances so much as a sense that people are fine with the government getting involved with people's family lives, but only when enforcing some underlying, often widely disputed beliefs.

So what happens to the kid? Foster families are kind a craps shoot too so there's a solid chance he won't be treated much better there. The parents are probably fatties themselves and don't know any better so I don't know about calling cruelty.

It isn't a case of a kid being fat and someone going "Oooh how terrible lets arrest the parents!"

Social services have been working with the parents for a long time, educating them about diet and exercise, they've had a long time and lots of help to fix the issue. It's extremely rare for parents to be arrested for this and it only happens in extreme cases. It's more likely the parents have some "Issues" and have done this purposely otherwise the police wouldn't be involved.

The Sun reported the couple's 11-year-old son is 5ft 1in (1.5m) and 15 stone, with a body mass index (BMI) of 41.8.

The typical weight for a 5'1" child is about 95 pounds. So this kid is carrying 115 pounds of extra weight.

What the fuck are these parents doing? If depriving your children of enough food so they're malnourished is awful, then this is the same thing in the opposite direction.

Is this what they call "child abuse" in Wales?
Compared to America, Wales must be a very very very very very very very safe country then!

It really depends on mass and bone structure. Some people look humongous but once tested have a reasonable size. Kids should be taught at a young age to be careful because there are those few stories you hear of subway hero sandwich eater but then there are those with heart attacks. It's best to consult a nutritionist and or internet to know your body structure and if you can be more careful as you eat. People eat out of stress another disorder is bad, I think changing the lunches to quickly and drastically for kids will make them into mummies. They won't want to eat anything but you have to gradually change the menu and see what they like. Arrested is a bit much how about a home video or clinic online instead of wasting money. Governments of the world the worst spenders in history. :icon_lol:

Again with the right of the state to interfere with how parent raise their children. There's got to be a line where the parents are failing to properly provide for their kids, be it through letting them starve or poisoning them with junk food. I don't know if obesity alone amounts to that, or that the best corrective action is some kind of criminal charge, in many cases anyway.

Yeah, this is such a slippery slope, especially in America. The problem being that there will likely never be a bright line rule and will therefore be very selectively enforced, if enforced at all. I sure don't have an answer for it.

Good thing many American parents aren't in Britain, they'd probably be in front of a firing squad by now.

It's definitely a tough call to make. On one hand I agree with the side that says feeding your child unhealthy food and eventually causing them to be morbidly obese should be child abuse. On the other hand, alot of poor people eat unhealthy food because it's cheap. I could easily cut my monthly food bill in half, if not more if my diet mainly consisted of unhealthy food. For some families it's either eat shitty food or nothing at all.

I'm not educated on what Englands poverty rate is like or how it compares to the US but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a strong correlation between the US' poverty level and our obesity rate. I mean there's got to be a reason why the fastest people you ever see are usually in Wal-Marts

so he goes into care,and we have such a wonderful record of looking after the kids in state run institutions. instead of dying of obesity he'll commit suicide because of the sexual abuse he suffers. some choice that is.

Back