Armbars effective when you're really tall?

The Fist

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if pulling an effective armbar when you're really tall works. I'm 6'5'' 250lbs, and I am a good grappler, but I have trouble using armbars on smaller guys.

Any suggestions?

I think its just harder on shorter people in general. Not just for taller people against shorter people.

It should be easier to armbar if you're taller, you can shoulder trap easier, also alot of short guys have problems with people pulling out of armbars from guard because they shorter legs and can't seem to get as much leg behind the head to hold opponents posture down. If you are that tall and having trouble getting armbars it is probably a problem with you're technique.

That is probably the case. I'm not the greatest with armbars anyways. My forte' is ankle locks and leg bars. Because, like you said I have longer legs and they really can't get around it.

Arm bars are leverage moves, where you should be using your length to your advantage. You should really be practicing arm bars if you are that long, because you have a natural advantage.

And yes, people with short stubby limbs are harder to get arm bars on, but they are harder to get EVERYTHING on- chokes, hooks, triangles, whatever...

Sorry, but they don't work if you're over 5'10"

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm 6'0" and arm bars are my move...

I hope you're joking.

pffft, pics or werk!

nobody 6 feet tall can actually hit an armbar in live rolling.

One of the things that strikes me when slow rolling with kids and girls is that can get their elbow back to mat a lot more easily than big guys can.

You need to squeeze your knees together, and try to get your heels as close as you can to your butt.

I was wondering if pulling an effective armbar when you're really tall works. I'm 6'5'' 250lbs, and I am a good grappler, but I have trouble using armbars on smaller guys.

Any suggestions?

maybe it just isn't your game.

"I am a good grappler, but i have trouble using armbars"

oxymoron?

Sometimes some moves work for some people, others don't. Maybe you're just not an arm bar guy.

I'm a arm bar guy. Some people like naked chokes. Find what works for your body.

being a 6'5" myself armbars from guard are prob easier for us tall folks but from top at least for me its hard keeping tight while switching from mount

Well you've now identified your weakness, now you should roll and look for the armbars and not go back to your strengths.

I gotta get my eyes checked! The first time I read this topic I thought it was titled "Armbars effective when you're really tan". Needless to say I was like "WTF?!"

being a 6'5" myself armbars from guard are prob easier for us tall folks but from top at least for me its hard keeping tight while switching from mount

Yeah armbars from mount still feel kind of awkward to me. Lots of work to go.

Back