Armbar pain?

DeLion

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This has probably been asked before, but i can't find it so:

1.Has anyone actually personally had their elbow "blown out" by an armbar?
2.How painful was it (more than a broken bone)?
3.Would you have been able to continue fighting?
4.What was the damage(torn ligament, tendon, etc.)?
5.Recovery time?

I've been training bjj for two weeks now and I was just curious as to what to expect in a real life fight. Oh yeah, my very first submission was a boston crab!!BAwhahaha

1. Yeah UFC
2. Probably hurt like shit breaking ur arm is a broken bone.
3. Depends on how much heart u have.
4. idk
5. Maybe a couple of months

bjjfighter91 said:
1. Yeah UFC
Hope you're not referring to Mir/Sylvia -- that's not really an arm bar. Besides OP asked if you had had yours blown...not whether you had seen one.

2. Probably hurt like shit breaking ur arm is a broken bone.
Armbars don't usually break bones.

3. Depends on how much heart u have.
With heart you can continue (even win), but the arm will be not be completely effective. Strength, coordination will be affected, and in some cases the arm can be practically useless.

I would expect most damage to be tendon (bone to muscle), but ligaments (bone to bone) can be damaged in severe cases.

5. Maybe a couple of months
Full recovery can take quite a while, say 3-4 months, but depending on the severity you can be back to reasonable training within a month.

watch more effective a reverse arm bar or a straight armbar or are they the same move sept different set ups and arm movements and dat post was helpful i though an armbar was a straight breack but they do hurt like hell i always tapp 1 or 2 after theyve got me into place im nt taking place but im doing a lot of technique and strength work so they cnt get me one and if i was ever attacked shud i use an armbar to defend myself because they wudnt no hw to defend it.

scotty1444 said:
watch more effective a reverse arm bar or a straight armbar or are they the same move sept different set ups and arm movements and dat post was helpful i though an armbar was a straight breack but they do hurt like hell i always tapp 1 or 2 after theyve got me into place im nt taking place but im doing a lot of technique and strength work so they cnt get me one and if i was ever attacked shud i use an armbar to defend myself because they wudnt no hw to defend it.

I was about to make fun of you.. Then i saw you from ireland.. and realized you were just drunk.

the armbar is basic.. but it is probably my faovrite move.. you can get it from anywhere.

My elbow has hurt for 2 weeks straight, and that is from just a hard armbar, not an armbar with bad intentions. I still can't fully extend it.

If someone wanted to, your elbow would be wrecked, and even if you were tough enough to continue the fight, you'd be a one-armed fighter.

Iv never had it completely blown out but iv had it hyperextended to where it popped a couple times. Hurt for a few days thats all.

TheHighlander said:
Hope you're not referring to Mir/Sylvia -- that's not really an arm bar. Besides OP asked if you had had yours blown...not whether you had seen one.

That wasn't his elbow, though. I thought he had a broken ulna.

1. Jacare had his elbow blown out by Roger Gracie in a match not too long ago.

2. Ask Jacare, but I assume it hurt. Although in the heat of fighting, I don't think it is excruciating.

3. Sort of. Jacare was able to flee the rest of the match and stall with one arm until time ran out.

4. I'm not sure. But it will usually tear the ligaments and tendons I think.

5. Again not too sure, but not incredibly long. Jacare has competed a lot recently so I don't think it was very permanent.

DeLion said:
This has probably been asked before, but i can't find it so:

1.Has anyone actually personally had their elbow "blown out" by an armbar?
2.How painful was it (more than a broken bone)?
3.Would you have been able to continue fighting?
4.What was the damage(torn ligament, tendon, etc.)?
5.Recovery time?

I've been training bjj for two weeks now and I was just curious as to what to expect in a real life fight. Oh yeah, my very first submission was a boston crab!!BAwhahaha

1. Yes. I did in my first competition!
2. It wasn't that painful (due to adrenaline) but it hurt fairly badly the next day and for quite some time after.
3. Yeah, at the time I probably could have, but no doubt it would have done more damage.
4. I tore ligament, tendon and had a small tear in a muscle.
5. About two months until I could train again. About 4 months until it was 100% (i.e. no pain after weight lifting).

im nt irish im norhtern irish get it rite and yeah im stupid anyway cheers 4 nt insultin me. y was i stupid anyway.

i jsu bought the bas rutten collection theyve it's and hour long dvd on submission escapes and reversals do you think this was a good choice for an instructional DVD

Back