Armbar Finish help!

SoSexy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello, all! Noob question:

So I consider the armbar my primary attack from mostly every position I can get it from. I always seem to get my hips and legs and arms in position when rolling or in compeition. The problem is my opponents escape more than I'd like.

I really have a hard time peeling their hands off when they defend. They always manage to hold it long enough to either stack, step over or pull away. What do you guys think is the most simple way to remedy this?

THANKS!

how intent are you on finishing with an arm bar? maybe transition to a triangle? that has the added benefit of keeping the arm vulnerable also. or if you wanna be slick you can try this out (at 1:09)

sorry i forgot to mention, I was thinking more of armbars from the bottom since the one's from the top are easier to finish.

sorry i forgot to mention, I was thinking more of armbars from the bottom since the one's from the top are easier to finish.

What are they doing to defend? Stacking/smashing?

It really depends on the problem that you're having with their defense. When I get stacked I either transition to a different attack, roll under for a pant leg or a leg-hook and sweep or if I have to, I try to scoot out my upper body for a face-down armbar.

Like I said, depends on the exact problem you're having.

The armbar has really become my go to submission as well, to the point where I'll transition OUT of other submissions (usually triangles) because I have more success on the arm. If I'm being stacked hard in an armbar from guard, I try to secure the arm and go belly down. And I know it's not nice to hurt your training partners, but don't be afraid to put some serious pressure on their face with the leg that's over their head. Don't kick, but go ahead and drive the calf in.

I think the biggest thing that changed my armbar game is this--when I secure the arm, pretty much from any armbar set up, I will work a hand into their hand--think an arm wrestling, palm-to-palm grip. If you can get this, it is MUCH easier to straighten their arm, break whatever defense they're using.

The armbar has really become my best submission. I've been pretty successful at it from many positions. My favorite way of isolating the arm once they are defending is to lean forward and grab the arm that's doing the defending, grab by the elbow. Pull them both in tight. Next you need to cup in with your forearm and elbow and lean toward the head simulating a key lock, they will either tap or release the grip giving you the armbar. This is by far the most successful way I have defended an armbar defense. I'll see if I can find a youtube clip of what I'm talking about.

The armbar has really become my best submission. I've been pretty successful at it from many positions. My favorite way of isolating the arm once they are defending is to lean forward and grab the arm that's doing the defending, grab by the elbow. Pull them both in tight. Next you need to cup in with your forearm and elbow and lean toward the head simulating a key lock, they will either tap or release the grip giving you the armbar. This is by far the most successful way I have defended an armbar defense. I'll see if I can find a youtube clip of what I'm talking about.

This is what I was talking about in theory, just using a dif grip to break his grip. It's solid. I use it all the time.

YouTube - Armbar: How to Break Opponents Grip

What are they doing to defend? Stacking/smashing?

It really depends on the problem that you're having with their defense. When I get stacked I either transition to a different attack, roll under for a pant leg or a leg-hook and sweep or if I have to, I try to scoot out my upper body for a face-down armbar.

Like I said, depends on the exact problem you're having.

Basically they just get a good strong grip going that's really hard to peel off. Then they either stack me or pull out. The main problem's the grip.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try them all!

Basically they just get a good strong grip going that's really hard to peel off. Then they either stack me or pull out. The main problem's the grip.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll try them all!
Read my above post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back