Arm bar from omaplata sweep

Chris Beeby

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I am not talking about where you stay in position and armbar the guy when he rolls.

This is a move that popped in my head the other day, and I am wondering if anyone has any details that can make it more effective.

You let the guy roll and take top from the omaplata, and sit on the arm facing his legs for a twister side control (reverse 100 kilos) position. If he turns into you, you take the leg not trapping his arm, slide across for mount with your top arm cupping his tricep, and go to the arm bar. Because you were sitting on his arm it is VERY hard for him to do the RNC-style defense.

If he turns away (not sure why they would, though) you pull up on his trapped arm with your top arm, throw your trapping leg over, put your other leg against his ribs and get the near arm.

If you're like me, you are going to have NO idea what I'm talking about by reading the description, but hopefully someone will be able to, so I don't have to post a video.

Spinning armbar? Yeah I think that could work from that position if you are able to step over him. You will have his other arm trapped under your shin, so if he turns into you to try and pull it free, you can catch the far arm, step over to mount with your free leg and spin for the armbar.

There's also a bicep slicer on his near arm if you turn into him, and a mounted triangle if you spin the other direction. Personally I usually go for the mounted triangle after an omoplata sweep.

Spinning armbar? Yeah I think that could work from that position if you are able to step over him. You will have his other arm trapped under your shin, so if he turns into you to try and pull it free, you can catch the far arm, step over to mount with your free leg and spin for the armbar.

This. Is it a fairly common move? My instructor is in brazil and he's normally my go to when I "discover" something and need to ask if it works.

There's also a bicep slicer on his near arm if you turn into him, and a mounted triangle if you spin the other direction. Personally I usually go for the mounted triangle after an omoplata sweep.

I prefer mounting, despite the triangle being my bread and butter. I usually miss the mounted triangle from the omaplata. If you have any personal details, that would be great!

Back