Ariel Helwani question

maxresdefault-26.jpg

Dana is going to have to start caring about his cholesterol levels, shit is starting to look sketchy.

That being said I think Ariel loves MMA. But I also think he loves journalism. And it's why he has succeeded.

But if Ariel got a phonecall asking him to cover the NBA or NFL ( for the same amount of money ) would he jump ship ?

He's a pro wrestling fan. Storylines and drama are all he cares about. That's fine, as long as he doesn't pretend to know anything about the sport, which he usually doesn't. He wants to be part of the story though, which is why he inserts little feuds in between him and every other fighter. He does not care about MMA, he wants to be involved in a real life soap opera.

Based on listening to segments of his podcast, etc. you hear the excitement in his voice and the knowledge of obscure MMA trivia. Of course he's a fan of MMA

I dont think MMA trivia is equivalent to how much one loves MMA. I could stay in for six months reading up on College Football and out-knowledge some dude who really cares about it even though i havent seen a single game

I dont think MMA trivia is equivalent to how much one loves MMA. I could stay in for six months reading up on College Football and out-knowledge some dude who really cares about it even though i havent seen a single game
You're gonna be motivated to learn trivia in a subject you're not a fan of?

You're not wrong. At all. People may disagree with your comment but that would make them wrong.

That being said I think Ariel loves MMA. But I also think he loves journalism. And it's why he has succeeded.

I've heard him and other MMA journalists say that being a journalist requires them to be a different type of fan. For instance, they cant dislike some fighters and wish for them to lose. They cant cheer for one fighter over another. They evolve (my word) into being a fan of the sport more objectively.

Ariel once said he never wants to cover basketball as a journalist because he'll have to stop being a regular fan.

He's a fan but I feel like his love for being in the spotlight overtook his love for MMA a long time ago.

He's a fan. Ariel gives off this awkward, light-hearted vibe. He'll ask his questions no matter what people say. He seems genuinely interested in the fighters.

Last edited:
I cant fathom how he hasnt been punched in the face yet. That face, that nose, that voice, his instigation of stuff, those ugly shoes, interviewing pro cage fighters......how has this not happened yet?

I think he's a fan of sorts, but would take a WWE PPV over an MMA one any day of the week.

I think he's a fan of sorts, but would take a WWE PPV over an MMA one any day of the week.
He grew up on pro wrestling, but not the product as it exists today. He moved on to MMA. I think he is aware of WWE from a distance.

he's a pro wrestling fan at heart

so he loves big drama show and big men with oiled muscles in tiny shorts

He grew up on pro wrestling, but not the product as it exists today. He moved on to MMA. I think he is aware of WWE from a distance.
I think he's a closet fanboy who really wants to transition to pro wrestling, but found an easier route in MMA early on.

I think it’s probably a little bit of both.

Also there’s nothing strange about a transformation from a pro-wrestling fan to MMA fan.

he is a little rat that is using UFC as a stepping stone to further his career and dont really give a shit about the fighters or the craft.

Bingo. As much crap as I give Thumb Rogan, I can still see him watching fights even if he had no business interest in it. Helwani likes basketball. That is his sport. He will crack your nuts in order to get a sideline reporting gig with Disney/ABC/ESPN. I absolutely turn his whiny voice off when I hear him.

Well, let me put it this way. In any other legitimate sport, he would not be covering it at the highest level.

That said, I'm sure he at least somewhat enjoys it. By that, I mean I'm not saying that he hangs out with his friends, has a couple beers, and gets into excited conversations about an upcoming fight or something on the horizon for the sport. I do however believe he enjoys his job more than most people, and has come to enjoy it more as the years have gone by.

Personally, I get a very insincere vibe off of him, but like you said, most MMA media is trash.

Back