Arguably the best band to come out of inarguably worst era of music is?

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What is your best band to come to out of inarguably worst era of music in the history of music?

Despite how much I hate everything from that era, I do have a soft spot for Green Day. I dont think any other band's music from that era will hold up to the test of time like Green Day's will.

Just for one simple counterexample, if you're saying the worst era of music is the 90s, then keep in mind the Smashing Pumpkins came out in that same era and they are infinitely superior to Green Day. Coming out within a year of one another, Mellon Collie curbstomps Dookie.

Just for one simple counterexample, if you're saying the worst era of music is the 90s, then keep in mind the Smashing Pumpkins came out in that same era and they are infinitely superior to Green Day. Coming out within a year of one another, Mellon Collie curbstomps Dookie.
Smashing Pumpkins curb-stomp a lot of more talked about bands from the 90s to be fair. Most people are only familiar with a few Pumpkins songs but almost every song on all their albums is good.

I am asking you guys what you think is the best band from that era.

Green Day is literally one of the worst bands of all time.

Well that is why that era is inarguably the worst era of music. They all sucked, but I am asking which is the best to come out. Even the best from the worst era will still literally be one of the worst bands of all time because comparing with all the better bands.

From the 90s? I guess Catherine Wheel, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead and Oasis. From that bunch it would be Radiohead but Catherine Wheel is very underated. Not my favorite decade since it ranks below the 60s to 80s but definately better than the early 2000s or late 90s

Last edited:

Smashing Pumpkins curb-stomp a lot of more talked about bands from the 90s to be fair. Most people are only familiar with a few Pumpkins songs but almost every song on all their albums is good.

Smashing Pumpkins music is unbearable even now. Do you hear any Pumpkin songs still playing on radio or what not. Green Day songs are played on oldies, but 90s is now oldies.

Smashing Pumpkins music is unbearable even now. Do you hear any Pumpkin songs still playing on radio or what not. Green Day songs are played on oldies, but 90s is now oldies.

Never liked them much but the album that I did appreciate from them Adore. Funny that album made them lose majority of their fan base and success. I guess I like experimental electronic music

Pearl Jam is better in every way, If you count Incubus they are too. Fuck even shit bands like Silverchair are better than fucking Green Day.

I don't listen to the radio anymore so I am not sure. It's seems as though your scope of 90s music is what played on the radio, if that is the case then you are missing out on a lot of good bands. Smashing Pumpkins varied their music a lot from album to album so its hard to judge them on just what is played (or was played) on the radio. Is your rational Green day is better because they are still played on the radio? What music people like is objective but saying 90s is the worst era for music makes me think you don't know many bands outside of what was played on the radio. I don't mind green day but saying they are the best for 3 songs they play (too much) on the radio sounds like trolling. Dinosaur Jr is my personal favorite band from the 90s

I don't listen to the radio anymore so I am not sure. It's seems as though your scope of 90s music is what played on the radio, if that is the case then you are missing out on a lot of good bands. Smashing Pumpkins varied their music a lot from album to album so its hard to judge them on just what is played (or was played) on the radio. Is your rational Green day is better because they are still played on the radio? What music people like is objective but saying 90s is the worst era for music makes me think you don't know many bands outside of what was played on the radio. I don't mind green day but saying they are the best for 3 songs they play (too much) on the radio sounds like trolling. Dinosaur Jr is my personal favorite band from the 90s
Dinosaur Jr is pretty much underappreciated. I saw them opening for the Cure at Dodgers Stadium in 92

We have to look at this from a pop culture perspective. In the 90s radio, and MTV, etc, etc, were quintessential for this. If the band got no aire time then they dont count. They really have no influence on the mainstream music scene of the time.

Same for today. I actually hear Green Day played on stations that cater to average audience, not some cliquish group who only listen to the most hardcore, or esoteric genres. And actually I also hear Green Day played on the harder rock stations too. So there stuff can run the gamit. I hear Pearl Jam stuff too. But I dont hear any Smashing Pumpkins. In fact I cannot even remember anyone else because I not hear it played.

Dinosaur Jr is pretty much underappreciated. I saw them opening for the Cure at Dodgers Stadium in 92
giphy.gif

I'm sure that was a great show!

We have to look at this from a pop culture perspective. In the 90s radio, and MTV, etc, etc, were quintessential for this. If the band got no aire time then they dont count. They really have no influence on the mainstream music scene of the time.

Same for today. I actually hear Green Day played on stations that cater to average audience, not some cliquish group who only listen to the most hardcore, or esoteric genres. And actually I also hear Green Day played on the harder rock stations too. So there stuff can run the gamit. I hear Pearl Jam stuff too. But I dont hear any Smashing Pumpkins. In fact I cannot even remember anyone else because I not hear it played.
Oh you are just trolling... Carry on.

Smashing Pumpkins were all over 90s radio and MTV btw even though that has nothing to do with "best band". Troll on

1979 gets played on classic rock/oldies pop station and Jack FM format radio. Tonite tonite also once in awhile then again the problem with FM format radio is they keep playing the same 3 songs from a band even though they have a larger catalog of songs

I graduated high school in 98 and I thought the 90s had a lot of great music...

Deftones
Rage Against the Machine
Pearl Jam
Blind Melon
Red hot chillie peppers
GNR Illusion albums
Off Spring
Pantera
Weezer
Alice N Chains
Faith No More
Sound Garden
Nirvana
Tool
Sublime
Green Day

I never did care for the pumpkins though. Billy Corgan came off as too much of a bitch to me. Cool dude irl though.

Back