Are you tired of over the top CGI?

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently watched Civil War and it was good but I truly enjoyed the Winter Soldier more.

Now I know that there was a lot of CGI in Winter Soldier as well. but......I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess I've been enjoying movies like the Winter Soldier and the Bourne franchise. A Iil more than some of the MCU movies and the Star Trek reboot.

I even enjoyed the "ole school " effects using models in the first three Star Wars films, over the cgi In episodes 1-3 am I alone in this?

Is the reliance on cgi making you yearn for ole school action set pieces?

Last edited:
All CGI sucks....it is ok to enhance practical effects, but CGI cannot fool the eye and you can tell it is fake.

Nah they should go back to rubber suits and shit

I know what you're saying. Don't use CGI where it's not really needed. However, with the direction the story is headed in the MCU, there's going to be a shit ton of CGI coming, especially with Infinity War.

Are you kidding?

Obi-Wan riding a giant chicken lizard down the side of a mountain while battling General Grievous who's riding a giant monowheel motorcycle is the single greatest feat in all of cinema. Fuck the Original Trilogy, fuck Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, and all that bullshit.

Obi-Wan on a giant chicken lizard, man.

All CGI sucks....it is ok to enhance practical effects, but CGI cannot fool the eye and you can tell it is fake.

Holy shit. Every single one of your posts is CGI.

Mind blown.

I recently watched Civil War and it was good but I truly enjoyed the Winter Soldier more.

Now I know that there was a lot of CGI in Winter Soldier as well. but......I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess I've been enjoying movies like the Winter Soldier and the Bourne franchise. A Iil more than some of the MCU movies and the Star Trek reboot.

I even enjoyed the "ole school " effects using models in the first three Star Wars films than than the cgi I'm episodes 1-3 am I alone in this?

Is the reliance on cgi making you yearn for ole school action set pieces?
I prefer puppet Yoda to CGI Yoda, even after seeing a pic of how it was done

8582d40bf0c32799b41f4a0267c98199.jpg

I guess that's what i was getting at I really enjoyed the Matrix trilogy but the neo vs smiths in matrix 2 is what I'm talking about was a good action set piece yeah but the terribleness of the cgi detracted from the scene

I know what you're saying. Don't use CGI where it's not really needed. However, with the direction the story is headed in the MCU, there's going to be a shit ton of CGI coming, especially with Infinity War.

Agree

I think I know the answer to this question but what movie did you think was "better". Winter Soldier, or Civil War?

Are you kidding?

Obi-Wan riding a giant chicken lizard down the side of a mountain while battling General Grievous who's riding a giant monowheel motorcycle is the single greatest feat in all of cinema. Fuck the Original Trilogy, fuck Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, and all that bullshit.

Obi-Wan on a giant chicken lizard, man.

There few things in my reality that I love more than Star Wars. I'm seriously considering going to a comic con far far away from where I live dressed as star killer from the force awakens.

That said........I was really let down with episodes 1-3

Darth Maul was about the worst use of a legit badass in sci fi bad guy history.

Jaykwon binks....I'm half black so I can crack this joke lol.

Qui Gon Jin was a waste

Mace was kind of a can

Not enough savage wookies

I could go on

Last edited:
If properly utilized I'm not against CGI use, but it's not quite good enough to seamlessly meld with real effects yet*.

If a movie is going to be heavily reliant on CGI I'd prefer they animate the whole thing.

*Some movies have used it to supplement physical effects and it has looked real, but many times it's very noticeable.

It bothers me but only slightly. Like some of you mentioned above, it should be used for enhancing practical effects and portraying the impossible, though I do find nothing to be impossible with the use of animatronics and props. I'll call back to some Starwars scenes that would be done with CGI today but were done with props then: Battle of Endor and Battle of Hoth.

Not true at all.

There are tons of special effects you don't know are cgi. When movies do it right they blend the cgi with real world models the crew made.

The new mad max did this extremely well. There are many scenes that you would never know are cgi because how the crew blended it together.

Not true at all.

There are tons of special effects you don't know are cgi. When movies do it right they blend the cgi with real world models the crew made.

The new mad max did this extremely well. There are many scenes that you would never know are cgi because how the crew blended it together.

I would argue mad max 3
I thought the lord of the rings was some good cgi

cgi blood is awful

say something like Deadpool--- man just everything was so fake looking

I would argue mad max 3

cgi blood is awful

And?

Why do things have to look real?

I would argue mad max 3

cgi blood is awful

I still say to this day the lord of the rings movies depict the best most classy, well done special effects I've ever seen.

Especially for the time it was made. They really knocked it outta the park on that trilogy.

And?

Why do things have to look real?

Cgi always looks better when it looks real and it's blended properly with real world effects.

That's how you get the most crisp look.

Like Avatar, some of the colors of the flying lizard things were just so fake looking. Like that cgi red and that cgi blue. The color is too enhanced and doesn't look good on screen. Looks like s video game cut scene.

Back